I slightly damaged my microwave; What are the chances it is leaking radiation?

Actual_Criminal

I have a good Samsung microwave and the side panel accidentally got snagged on something when I was moving it. - this has caused it to become bent/open SLIGHTLY as per the photos. (Ignore the vertical gap, that is the intended gap between the door.)

What are the chances it is leak radiation when on?

And if it is leaking rads, what's the range of the damage zone? Does the radiation immediately disappear once the microwave is off?

20210127_123338.jpg

20210127_123343.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

As long as the inside of the microwave is undamaged your fine. I wouldn't worry about it. The radiation your worried about is not something you should be worried about. Your microwave isn't radioactive or anything. It just uses a magnetron to turn electrical energy into microwaves. No radiation other than  the stuff it makes to cook your food. AS long as the inside of the microwave is ok your ok from any firehazards or radiation.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

10 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I have a good Samsung microwave and the side panel accidentally got snagged on something when I was moving it. - this has caused it to become bent/open SLIGHTLY as per the photos. (Ignore the vertical gap, that is the intended gap between the door.)

And if it is leaking rads, what's the range of the damage zone? Does the radiation immediately disappear once the microwave is off?

20210127_123338.jpg

20210127_123343.jpg

You already have 4 row of holes on the side panel that potentially "harmful" radiation could escape and you seem to worry about a slightly bend panel.  Just for aesthetic purposes bend it back to shape.

No issues here. You get more "radiation" from your mobile phone everyday, Do you ever turn it off completely, meaning removing the battery ?

Holy shit, throw away this Chernobyl machine!

No, seriously, it's external chassis damage. It affects nothing but aesthetics.

Alright good, thanks for the info everyone. Wanted to be safe.

None of you are from the Soviet Union are you? Just checking 😉

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

1 hour ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Microwaves use the same radio frequency as your WiFi router to cook food. The “shielding” is to prevent those radio waves from escaping at the power level used to cook food. There is no radiation risk. The fact is Microwaves leak, ever been told not to stick your router by a Microwave? It’s because it leaks 2.4 GHz signal, but the shielding prevents most of it from reaching you, this way you don’t cook yourself. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Off Topic

Back in the 60s this would have counted as tech topic. Not today.

Did they even have Microwave in the 60s? Haha. 

EDIT: Just Google'd it and seen it became a household product in 1967.

What was their adverts, "Cook your food with 3.6 roentgen! Not as great as a cooker, but not terrible."

2 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Did they even have Microwave in the 60s? Haha. 

From what I remember from some documentaries and stuff like that, microwave did come as luxury item in homes mid-60s or early-70s.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Wave length in a (or most) Microwave ovens is 6,4 cm. If the opening is smaller the waves stay inside. 

Actually you can...

*DISCLAIMER* I DO NOT ENDORSE ANYONE DOING THIS AT HOME /*DISCLAIMER*

...drill a a small hole with i e a 10 mm drill at the back of the microwave oven and it really won't effect how the oven works

Your microwave oven has a resonating chamber into which microwave radiation generated by a magnetron is being sent. Those waves then bounce off the chamber's wall. These walls are the walls of the interior of the microwave and the mesh in the door. The microwave oven's outer metal casing (part of which seems to be damaged in your case) is not made to protect against radiation but rather to house the components of the microwave (magnetron, high voltage transformer, large capacitor etc).

Judging from the pictures you posted, you should be fine although you could still use a measurement device just to be on the safe side. Just keep in mind that you will always see some small leakage, but that is not considered to be harmful in any way at the maximum level allowed by regulations.

Honestly microwaves are not that dangerous at all. As long as you don't stick your hand (or head) inside it while it's on nothing bad is going to happen to you. And even then the type of energy being produced is non-ionizing radiation which means that it does not carry enough energy to actually damage your DNA. Which is what makes ionizing radiation so bad as it damages your cells on a level so deep down it cannot be repaired by your body anymore. (Still, do not mess with the safety features of your microwave and for god's sake do not stick your head inside it!)

I just recently watched a YT video from the King of Random where they removed the door from a microwave to check how dangerous that would be. (Although from the way they behaved in that video one would think it does actually contain plutonium or something like that) It barely melts chocolate.

As for the bend casing, that one is just for looks. The actual shielding is the wall inside your microwave and the metal mesh inside the glass in the door. (Fun fact, you could remove the glass itself and it would be just as safe as long as the metal mesh stays in place)

So no, that is not a problem!

*Disclaimer*

Do NOT ever mess with your microwave! There are some highly dangerous parts inside that can easily kill you if you don't know what you are doing!

*Disclaimer*

oh crap you're gonna die from that gonna be another 3 mile island problem from that

better send me the microwave, I can safely operate it as i know some stuff about these kinda things.

8 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

Honestly microwaves are not that dangerous at all. As long as you don't stick your hand (or head) inside it while it's on nothing bad is going to happen to you. And even then the type of energy being produced is non-ionizing radiation which means that it does not carry enough energy to actually damage your DNA. Which is what makes ionizing radiation so bad as it damages your cells on a level so deep down it cannot be repaired by your body anymore. (Still, do not mess with the safety features of your microwave and for god's sake do not stick your head inside it!)

I just recently watched a YT video from the King of Random where they removed the door from a microwave to check how dangerous that would be. (Although from the way they behaved in that video one would think it does actually contain plutonium or something like that) It barely melts chocolate.

As for the bend casing, that one is just for looks. The actual shielding is the wall inside your microwave and the metal mesh inside the glass in the door. (Fun fact, you could remove the glass itself and it would be just as safe as long as the metal mesh stays in place)

So no, that is not a problem!

*Disclaimer*

Do NOT ever mess with your microwave! There are some highly dangerous parts inside that can easily kill you if you don't know what you are doing!

*Disclaimer*

The story goes: The first person to discover microwave radiation would heat up food was a radio technician with a chocolate bar in his shirt pocket. No idea of the details of the emissions level and duration from the magnetron/transmitter he was exposed to, but he was fine as far as I know.

My grandfather was a telecom engineer for NASA and told me that story a long time ago, still crazy to think someone was just standing there getting cooked. Then again, even though you could make the claim she was the most knowledgeable of the subject at the time, Madame Curie's chair is still radioactive enough that sitting in it would be ill-advised; That knowledge has to start somewhere.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

8 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The story goes: The first person to discover microwave radiation would heat up food was a radio technician with a chocolate bar in his shirt pocket. No idea of the details of the emissions level and duration from the magnetron/transmitter he was exposed to, but he was fine as far as I know.

My grandfather was a telecom engineer for NASA and told me that story a long time ago, still crazy to think someone was just standing there getting cooked. Then again, even though you could make the claim she was the most knowledgeable of the subject at the time, Madame Curie's chair is still radioactive enough that sitting in it would be ill-advised; That knowledge has to start somewhere.

The guy was working on Military grade radar back in the 50's if I recall. They didnt know any better as far as standing too close. Radar was very very new during WW2. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Only one way to find out. Set a lizard on the side of the microwave, secure it in place with tape and make yourself a frozen dinner. If everything is fine when you get back, you're good. If Godzilla's in your kitchen, your microwave has a problem.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 1/27/2021 at 6:42 AM, RageTester said:

Keep your hard drives away from it, nothing else to fear.

Now I wanna see what happens when you microwave an HDD

worrying about my pc 24/7

2 hours ago, DustyHeatsink said:

Nothing good. Trust me. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, DustyHeatsink said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ0qNQLLR80

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang