Any good resources for learning Perl (and maybe a tiny bit oh PHP)?

Master Disaster

I've been coding on and off for years but never really taken it seriously (CMD/Powershell, a bit of Bash and Visual Basic) however recently I found myself wanting to do it more and more so I took on a challenge on trying to update an old web service to use the new API of GeoIPv2.

During the process I've become familiar with MySQL and have learned a lot about Bash scripting too but now I've got to the backend stuff I'm a little lost. Most of the old code is written in Perl and I can read the code and have a basic understanding of what is happening but I'm struggling because I don't know the methods and what they do.

Does anybody know any good free resources to learn Perl? I've got the official documentation open but it still assumes a certain level of knowledge which I just don't have.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Does anybody know any good free resources to learn Perl?

Packt Publishing's services aren't free, but perhaps you could take a look if there's any books or videos you would be interested in and then take the trial of their subscription-service. I think it's 7 or 10 days, which is probably not enough to learn Perl in any competitive quantity, but could still get you further along.

Other than that, I don't know, as I've never done anything with Perl.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.