EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 annoying problems

Big-Boy

At first it started to make a VERY loud coil whine sound. But that was fixed just by breaking in the card for a few hours. Now the fans make a revving sound because the fan speed is going up and down rapidly (switching on and off)

I've tried manually setting a fan curve on msi afterburner and X1 and ive tried to update using X1 and I've tried switching to the oc bios and nothing worked

If you have any questions or possible fixes please feel free to share the below.

Try to make them run at all times, but at lower RPMs. The fans switching on and off is a sign that your case fans don't move enough air over your GPU to cool it without it's own fans at idle. So it goes above the passive fan threshhold and then switches them off again because the temps were lowered by the short fan burst.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Try to make them run at all times, but at lower RPMs. The fans switching on and off is a sign that your case fans don't move enough air over your GPU to cool it without it's own fans at idle. So it goes above the passive fan threshhold and then switches them off again because the temps were lowered by the short fan burst.

I tried it but it didn't work. The fans dont turn on and off any more, instead they speed up and slow down constantly (fan speed at 40%).

Is there any chance that it could be from the power supply? I have a corsair atx 650W PSU and it came with only a single cable that splits to 8 and 6+2. So used a cable from an old psu and it didn't work. And then i used a 8 pin cable from a Corsair sfx 600W and it worked. Did i damage something by mistake?.

@Big-Boy - never use cables on a PSU unless you are sure they are pin-to-pin compatible with your power supply. Don't rely on the fact that it can be plugged into the PSU as even within the same OEM, the cable may not wired identically. Please see this document from Gamers Nexus or this more recent video also from Gamers Nexus.

Your PSU is weak for a high tier 3080, as a minimum you should be using a quality gold rated 750W PSU. EVGA has a thread that contains a list of PSUs working with EVGA 30-series cards and apart from a Corsair SF-600 (and I'm willing to bet he has a 3070 or 3060TI), the lowest PSU listed is a 750W.

When the fans are ramping up and down, are you seeing any red LEDs near the PCI power connectors on the card lighting up? There are three LEDs (corresponding to the 3 PCI power connections to the card) and any lighting up indicates there is a power problem.

1 hour ago, Blai5e said:

@Big-Boy - never use cables on a PSU unless you are sure they are pin-to-pin compatible with your power supply. Don't rely on the fact that it can be plugged into the PSU as even within the same OEM, the cable may not wired identically. Please see this document from Gamers Nexus or this more recent video also from Gamers Nexus.

Your PSU is weak for a high tier 3080, as a minimum you should be using a quality gold rated 750W PSU. EVGA has a thread that contains a list of PSUs working with EVGA 30-series cards and apart from a Corsair SF-600 (and I'm willing to bet he has a 3070 or 3060TI), the lowest PSU listed is a 750W.

When the fans are ramping up and down, are you seeing any red LEDs near the PCI power connectors on the card lighting up? There are three LEDs (corresponding to the 3 PCI power connections to the card) and any lighting up indicates there is a power problem.

I appreciate your response. To be honest with you I think that 650W is enough. And my cpu does not even go above 50W even under load. And this problem is occurring at idle so personally I don't think it is because of the "low wattage" PSU. If you are not convinced please watch this video from Optimum tech 

And there is no red LEDs above the power cables. And if you the full system specs here they are

Thank you for your time.

Next step would be to try DDUing the drivers and reinstalling just the latest one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Next step would be to try DDUing the drivers and reinstalling just the latest one.

I just did that. Unfortunately it didn't work.