Computer crashes while on desktop for more than 1 minute

dievyan99
Go to solution Solved by Flannelist,

I'm going back to basics here, but when you installed the new card, did you uninstall the old NVidia drivers?

Hi everyone, so i got an rx 6800 xt recently and installed everything that i should on my desktop. I previously had a gtx 960, so this was a great upgrade for me. But at first i experienced a few crashes while starting up some games. I figured it was just some settings i had to tune. But at some point, i noticed that my computer would just start crashing while i was browsing the internet or even just leaving my computer idle on the desktop for a just a few minutes.

Now when i try to login, i could spend about 2 mins on the desktop before my screen turns black and doesn't respond again until i hard reset my computer. 

Please help, this video card is only a day old, and it is just so frustrating to think that i had spent so much money only to have it crash every few minutes.

My build:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

Asus TUF x570 plus

64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 Mhz

RX 6800 xt MSI Gaming x Trio

WD Black 1TB

1 hour ago, John Clark 1 said:

Go to event viewer and check for WHEA-LOGGER errors

Where do I find that?

Ok, i think I may have found it, the WHEA says it's event 18, and the reported component is the processor core, Machine check exception, cache hierarchy error. 

So what does all that mean?

11 hours ago, dievyan99 said:

Hi everyone, so i got an rx 6800 xt recently and installed everything that i should on my desktop. I previously had a gtx 960, so this was a great upgrade for me. But at first i experienced a few crashes while starting up some games. I figured it was just some settings i had to tune. But at some point, i noticed that my computer would just start crashing while i was browsing the internet or even just leaving my computer idle on the desktop for a just a few minutes.

Now when i try to login, i could spend about 2 mins on the desktop before my screen turns black and doesn't respond again until i hard reset my computer. 

Please help, this video card is only a day old, and it is just so frustrating to think that i had spent so much money only to have it crash every few minutes.

My build:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

Asus TUF x570 plus

64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 Mhz

RX 6800 xt MSI Gaming x Trio

WD Black 1TB

Power suply ? Its my Guess for your problem you Will need até least a good 750w psu for that build , the 6800xt Alone gets Over 300w. If you got the 3900x on stock might be your problem.

52 minutes ago, Nets said:

Power suply ? Its my Guess for your problem you Will need até least a good 750w psu for that build , the 6800xt Alone gets Over 300w. If you got the 3900x on stock might be your problem.

Well, i was thinking perhaps i had too many peripherals and accessories connected, as I have a 1000W EVGA power supply, but i just sort of ruled that possibility out as well.

1 minute ago, dievyan99 said:

Well, i was thinking perhaps i had too many peripherals and accessories connected, as I have a 1000W EVGA power supply, but i just sort of ruled that possibility out as well.

well if you have a 1000w psu you dont have that problem, perhaps just a quick question that might be related, check the psu pci-e cable if bouth aren't connected to the same pci-e output

13 hours ago, Nets said:

well if you have a 1000w psu you dont have that problem, perhaps just a quick question that might be related, check the psu pci-e cable if bouth aren't connected to the same pci-e output

Both of the connectors that are going to the videocard are coming out of one cable that is connected to the PSU, could that be the reason?

8 hours ago, dievyan99 said:

Both of the connectors that are going to the videocard are coming out of one cable that is connected to the PSU, could that be the reason?

then make this try, conect another pcie cable to psu, and use two different cables from the psu, hope it helps. 

I mean conect psu VGA 1 to 1 conector and psu VGA 2 to another One 

11 hours ago, Nets said:

then make this try, conect another pcie cable to psu, and use two different cables from the psu, hope it helps. 

I mean conect psu VGA 1 to 1 conector and psu VGA 2 to another One 

Just tired it, but the problem persists. Any other thoughts?

12 hours ago, dievyan99 said:

Just tired it, but the problem persists. Any other thoughts?

Sorry for the delay ,well if that didnt work problem must be Somewhere else.

The things i can think :

-Did you fresh instal Windows ? Its tarde but sometimes ir happen when you Change a component.

-check for any BIOS update and load optimal defaults 

- if you can test with other power suply or try the gpu on other computer.

If none of that work, well maybe the GPU its broken, but if you do have time during the weekend this os what i would do:

BIOS upgrade, reconfig full BIOS, format hard drive and fresh instal tour system and try it out before you return it.

people says you dont need to format to upgrade GPU.. its true you dont need to but sometimes doesnt work that well so since its hard to have cards on stock nowdays i would try that.

hope it helps

One more thing on BIOS go to advance tab and check PCI subsystem i dont know the name but its something as resize bar make sure its disable. (Check on web how to enable Smart Access memory to ser what i mean) check if  its disable on BIOS because you cpu doesnt suport it and since this its to recent maybe might Crash the system if its enable 

I'm going back to basics here, but when you installed the new card, did you uninstall the old NVidia drivers?

11 hours ago, Nets said:

One more thing on BIOS go to advance tab and check PCI subsystem i dont know the name but its something as resize bar make sure its disable. (Check on web how to enable Smart Access memory to ser what i mean) check if  its disable on BIOS because you cpu doesnt suport it and since this its to recent maybe might Crash the system if its enable 

Let me try that one out

11 hours ago, Flannelist said:

Yes, i made sure to do that before installing the the amd drivers

So i did a mix of what both @Flannelist and @Nets said about removing the old Nvidea Drivers completely using Revo uninstaller and putting a secondary power source cable from my PSU. IN the last 2 days, i haven't had a crash. So i think those two were the solutions for this issue! 

Thank you guys so much for all your help!