Planning a 1080p Gaming PC for family

Rugg

Budget (including currency): $1500-2000 US Dollar, keeping lower preferred unless big fps gains are available.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

Gaming in 1080p with games as demanding as Rust, new COD games, that sort of thing.

Video editing with Premiere.

Right now I'm looking at this:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $325.00
Motherboard ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $94.99 @ Newegg
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case $90.00
Custom 3070 $800.00
Custom Apevia ATX-PR800W Purchased
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1481.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-26 23:44 EST-0500  

Edits from the build list:

• Remove 2tb HDD. Family member knows how and could very easily install another SSD or HDD if they need more storage, and prices seem stable enough.
  • Remove AIO water cooler

Note: The PSU has already been purchased, unfortunately I think I am going to stick with it instead of trying to get rid of it.

The price for the 3070 is kind of a guess based on eBay listings. I/My family member will be going that route to get it likely.

Main questions:

1. Is the Intel SSD okay for the primary drive for the system? I know its a QLC nand with dram cache.
  2. Memory: The video editing task might mean 32gb could be worth it, on top of that. Gamers Nexus showed that having 4 ranks of memory can boost fps as much as 10% especially in 1080. Also, faster memory can boost performance. All of this while keeping in mind that any of these changes would increase price, are changes in memory worth it?
  3. This AIO cooler is said to be very good, but something cheap like the CM MasterLiquid Lite 240 is over $50 cheaper, what level of cooling is necessary for having comfortable audio levels without headphones in a game (if this is even attainable)
  4. This is the motherboard I have in my personal PC right now, and I can't complain about it. As you can see there's no plans for a PCIE gen 4 SSD, and a future upgrade will be in at least 2 years, up to 4 or even more is very likely. All of which makes b550 seem not very worth it especially considering the IO on some of the budget b550 boards, thoughts?
  5. Are there any other things that would be better choices to change or add?

GPU is overkill for 1080p, at most go for a 3060 TI or better yet just get a last gen 20XX series and save yourself some money. I would only for for a 3070 if I was planning on doing 1440p at 144hz or 4k at 60.

7 minutes ago, Rugg said:

Random 800 watt gold

Also gonna be honest this scares me. Those efficiency ratings are a load of crap, and shouldn't be used to determine reliability. If its not at least B tier or higher on the PSU list I would return it and make sure to get at least on of those if not A tier. [psucultists] PSU Tier List - Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tips

Just now, RAM555789 said:

Also gonna be honest this scares me. Those efficiency ratings are a load of crap, and shouldn't be used to determine reliability. If its not at least B tier or higher on the PSU list I would return it and make sure to get at least on of those if not A tier. [psucultists] PSU Tier List - Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tips

I will find the specific model

6 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

It is the Apevia ATX-PR800W, under the "low priority units - minor issues or lack of info" of C tier.

Edited into the OP as well.

3 minutes ago, Rugg said:

Apevia

I avoid this PSU brand like the plague. I've only heard bad things about the brand, and plenty of horror stories have popped up on reddit, and other various forums. This may be one of their higher end models so it might be alright but honestly its a risk I wouldn't wanna take with such an expensive project. If your PSU fails it can end up frying the entire system where something like bad RAM or motherboard is usually easy to RMA and won't damage other components. 

7 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

I avoid this PSU brand like the plague. I've only heard bad things about the brand, and plenty of horror stories have popped up on reddit, and other various forums. This may be one of their higher end models so it might be alright but honestly its a risk I wouldn't wanna take with such an expensive project. If your PSU fails it can end up frying the entire system where something like bad RAM or motherboard is usually easy to RMA and won't damage other components. 

idk man, it seems legit based on searches. There doesn't seem to be any 3rd party testing of it directly so besides the fact that its 80+ certified I cant say anything on it. The views are just like any psu from corsair evga or anyone else where its mostly positive and then some DOA's.

Imo get a 3060 or 3060ti instead of the 3070. If you can get a 5600x instead of 3700x it will be better at gaming in 1080p and do just fine in video editing and also save you $25 and the motherboard you chose will support it with bios P3.70 or later. Imo you dont need to liquid cool just stick with the stock cpu air cooler. With these changes you could adjust the SSD to western digital black or samsung and adjust the ram to 2x8gb 3600 c16 from a better brand. Also imo dont get the hard drive unless you know you'll need the slow storage  space, might be better to get two ssds or get one and get another when you need it.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

13 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Imo get a 3060 or 3060ti instead of the 3070.

The savings from a 3060 ti don't really seem to be there, at least on eBay. Sometimes 3060 ti's sell for 600 up to 800, and the 3070 has completed listings for 800-950.

13 minutes ago, cm992 said:

If you can get a 5600x instead of 3700x it will be better at gaming in 1080p

I will look for availability for the next while, but the odds of getting one for msrp doesn't look too great.

22 minutes ago, cm992 said:

adjust the ram to 2x8gb 3600 c16 from a better brand

I don't think brand really matters to me at least besides maybe warranties, but upgrading to 3600 would be about a 5% increase in performance according to Gamers Nexus, and at the cost of being $31 more expensive for G.Skill Ripjaws, do you think that would be worth it in an already overkill pc?

28 minutes ago, cm992 said:

you could adjust the SSD to western digital black or samsung

After looking at some benchmarks and stuff, I'm not concerned in the difference in endurance but the speed is there for large files so I'll consider it.

30 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Also imo dont get the hard drive unless

Yeah I think I will wait and if said family member ends up using a lot more storage for archiving video and whatnot then they could get the HDD later.

34 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Imo you dont need to liquid cool just stick with the stock cpu air cooler.

Don't you think it'd be a little noisy under load?

1 hour ago, Rugg said:

The savings from a 3060 ti don't really seem to be there, at least on eBay. Sometimes 3060 ti's sell for 600 up to 800, and the 3070 has completed listings for 800-950.

I will look for availability for the next while, but the odds of getting one for msrp doesn't look too great.

I don't think brand really matters to me at least besides maybe warranties, but upgrading to 3600 would be about a 5% increase in performance according to Gamers Nexus, and at the cost of being $31 more expensive for G.Skill Ripjaws, do you think that would be worth it in an already overkill pc?

After looking at some benchmarks and stuff, I'm not concerned in the difference in endurance but the speed is there for large files so I'll consider it.

Yeah I think I will wait and if said family member ends up using a lot more storage for archiving video and whatnot then they could get the HDD later.

You should save money getting a 3060 or 3060ti.

Its easier to get a 5600x at msrp then any of the rtx 3000 cards, there are some stock checking youtube streams that check websites every 5 seconds and make a loud bing  when there is stock, so leave that playing in the background while you do something else and when you hear the bing go order it, make sure you have your payment info prefilled or something to be quicker, ive seen the stock last 5 minutes before going out, same for rtx 3000.

If you're playing at 1080p then ram speed is important because its tied up with cpu performance and cpu is often the bottleneck at 1080p. And 3600 c16 is not really that much more than 3200. I forgot to ask, are you planning on it being 1080p and 60hz or something higher like 144hz?

And like I said about the HDD maybe stick with the 1tb SSD to begin with and if you need more space later on then decide at that point whether another 1tb ssd or a hdd is the best choice for you.

1 hour ago, Rugg said:

Don't you think it'd be a little noisy under load?

No the stock cooler is fine, if you get the stock cooler and the noise bothers you then you can always get liquid cooling afterwards

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms