Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aio becoming popular.. Raises Concern in me

E.Beadle

Go to solution Solved by peaking duck,

as a techie, i always have a 1 spare of everything that can fail.

initial diagnoses and loan hardware is chargable, then upsell a new system

no concerns really

Between going to Best Buy and the other pc shops. then coming home and reading up on todays tech news... 
http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Previews+Devils+Canyon+Chip+Black+Book+and+Broadwell/article34560.htm

As a computer tech, this raises concerns on "How can I repair an Aio".... 
Within 2 to 3 years the average user will not have a desktop tower, but an All in one unit.. While the towers are dinosaurs unless you build it. 

Soo are there any other repair man in here who have concerns about Aio repairs?....Will they make it so we the field techs can fix them? Or do the big boys like geek squad, staples, office max and others get to finally take the field and say "well have to send it back".. or "you can't upgrade"...

What's your concerns and thoughts?

I believe no market would lock themselves in not allowing a consumer to upgrade, but then again.. I'm never sure what CEO have in mind....

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

CEO's usually have nothing but market control in mind. No off of that topic, AIO's will be around forever however as long as us tech enthusiast are around system building ain't going anywhere. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

LOL I thought you meant AIO coolers

The majority of people don't really do demanding tasks on their computers. The most demanding thing would be a 1080p movie or basic photoshop stuff.

And since computer chips are getting more and more powerful, and more complex (The CPU can basically handle everything) people can achieve what they want to on tablet sized computers.

There's no reason for someone to buy a massive tower pre-built system if all they're going to do is facebook, youtube, a word documents.

The large tower and high performance computers will always have a place. Just like how super computers that take up massive sized rooms will always have a place. (been around since like the 50's)

Simple work tasks don't require powerful machines anymore.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

as a techie, i always have a 1 spare of everything that can fail.

initial diagnoses and loan hardware is chargable, then upsell a new system

no concerns really

We can already tinker with AIO's. It's just less convenient than a tower like fixing a laptop. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

We can already tinker with AIO's. It's just less convenient than a tower like fixing a laptop. 

Oh that's a very good way to put it. Laptops are quite like that if you think about it. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Thank you, I started to looking up to see how i can turn this thing into a blessing. Especially since I also try to advertise that I build systems... 

So far I found two of them on newegg that are over a year old. So hopefully the rest of the market will cater to this and allow system builders to continue to custom build but in an AIO format. 

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

Thank you, I started to looking up to see how i can turn this thing into a blessing. Especially since I also try to advertise that I build systems...

So far I found two of them on newegg that are over a year old. So hopefully the rest of the market will cater to this and allow system builders to continue to custom build but in an AIO format.

Probably not as most AIO's run laptop hardware and are designed to fit as much as they can is as small of a form factor. In fact they are very much like laptops. That dont open or a super thick tablet.

After working in a  computer retail store for 7 years, I think I can count the number of people who wanted to upgrade their existing pc on one hand, probably on none of my fingers. People just tend to keep it so and so long until its "slow" then buy a new one.

That said they are no less repairable than a desktop/laptop, they just happen to use different components. Just like its possible to repair iPhones etc, its just that you dont pop to your local PC store for the parts they are a little bit more bespoke

I actually like all in ones, especially things like the iMac design. We also had this awesome lenovo "table pc" that folded flat and came with bluetooth dice and little suction cup stick on joysticks for table top gaming, was like i7, 16gb of ram, 2tb of storage and a decent graphics card for like £1500

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Is it also a concern if they may make better longer lasting hardware? Its likely that a tech may be reduced to dealing with user created software problems, if they haven't already.

snip

Same lol, I was like "da fuq?"

OT: I feel as if @TheProfosist summed it up nicely :) "Big laptops"

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Same lol, I was like "da fuq?"

OT: I feel as if @TheProfosist summed it up nicely :) "Big laptops"

Whoo!