APC ""Gaming"" UPS to protect electronics.

Garnak

Hi, I am attending university remotely due to the pandemic, my major is computer science therefore I have a lot of programming classes and blabla. Anyway, I was thinking of buying a UPS because I do not want to lose any of my progress while I am coding a program. I was searching reviews online to see which UPS is the best and I thought APC was the best option. I was planning on buying the normal APC Pro 1500VA until I saw a new one called "APC Gaming UPS". Well, I am a gamer so my first thought was maybe that one has more power enough for at least more time of gaming in a power outage. But when I saw the reviews Amazon had on it, to be honest, it scared me and when I search online for a detailed review I do not find one. And well that's why I m here I like to watch the videos from linus tech tips and I also wanted to know what you guys think of this plus, of course, I do not want to waste my money on something that will break and it could burn my house down. 馃槄

This is the amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-BGM1500B-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Midnight/dp/B08GSCWWY6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=APC+Gaming+UPS&qid=1611712320&sr=8-3

"Gaming" in advertising is very frequently an over-used buzzword that basically enables the upselling of an otherwise no different unit from a non-gaming unit. In the case of a UPS the only differences might be total continuous output and what form sine-wave it uses.

It advertises pure signwave but for the price I would question how well they implemented that (built down to a price). A recent "pure sinewave" desktop UPS I saw from APC had many horrible reviews about transistors on the PCB exploding.

IMO APC does make good UPS's but I wouldn't waste the cash on this. I just recently picked up a APC BX1500M聽and so far it's working very well. If you're ready to dump $300~400 into a UPS I'd much rather look into the聽CyberPower OR1500LCDRT2U

The APC BX1500M operates off of Square-Wave. This is fine but some appliances (often very cheap PSU's) can struggle with using it. A quality computer PSU should be fine.

The CyberPower OR1500LCDRT2U operates off Simulated-Sinewave which is a step above square-wave but below pure sinewave. It's very heavy and pretty expensive but it puts out a lot and can run for a good amount of time under load.

Hitting [Ctrl]+ every few minutes will be the much cheaper option.

But seriously I don't know about that unit but we use small APC UPSes a lot in our companny to keep the surveilance alive and they do great now for years.

Also to say that we hardly have a power outage twice a year or so.

edit: lol guess that was some bulletin code there,don't know how to get rid of it on the phone 馃槃

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

"Gaming" in advertising is very frequently an over-used buzzword that basically enables the upselling of an otherwise no different unit from a non-gaming unit. In the case of a UPS the only differences might be total continuous output and what form sine-wave it uses.

It advertises pure signwave but for the price I would question how well they implemented that (built down to a price). A recent "pure sinewave" desktop UPS I saw from APC had many horrible reviews about transistors on the PCB exploding.

IMO APC does make good UPS's but I wouldn't waste the cash on this. I just recently picked up a APC BX1500M聽and so far it's working very well. If you're ready to dump $300~400 into a UPS I'd much rather look into the聽CyberPower OR1500LCDRT2U

The APC BX1500M operates off of Square-Wave. This is fine but some appliances (often very cheap PSU's) can struggle with using it. A quality computer PSU should be fine.

The CyberPower OR1500LCDRT2U operates off Simulated-Sinewave which is a step above square-wave but below pure sinewave. It's very heavy and pretty expensive but it puts out a lot and can run for a good amount of time under load.

Thanks for answering me i will check those out i really appreciate it.

I wouldn't bother with the ePiC gAyMeR one. Save a buck and get something like the BR1500MS and pick up a data cable for like 10 bucks on eBay (assuming it doesn't come with one). Does sine wave output as opposed to stepped approximation which is always nice. I've been eyeing one for when I upgrade my PC and will therefore have to upgrade from my dinky and old 750ES.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

-> Moved to Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv