Is 8GB of RAM enough for me?

I'm planning on putting 2 4GB G.Skill Aegis 2400 sticks in my future budget build. Will this be enough for Minecraft: Java Edition at medium settings? All I need is 720p at 60FPS at medium settings.

2 minutes ago, IceChes said:

I'm planning on putting 2 4GB G.Skill Aegis 2400 sticks in my future budget build. Will this be enough for Minecraft: Java Edition at medium settings? All I need is 720p at 60FPS at medium settings.

Yes, tho these days 8GB is considered minimally acceptable even for a budget build. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8GB will work fine for minecraft. what CPU do you plan on combining this ram with?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

For minecraft at the resolution you have stated 8 gb should be enough to get by but over time 8gb has started to become the minimum instead of a recommended amount for gaming cpu and gpu also matter though minecraft isn't the most resource hungry game.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

8GB will work fine for minecraft. what CPU do you plan on combining this ram with?

Intel Core i3 10100. Leaves room for upgrades without costing anything.

21 minutes ago, IceChes said:

Intel Core i3 10100. Leaves room for upgrades without costing anything.

Probably the best choice for a budget build. 🙂 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 hour ago, pizza69 said:

minecraft isn't the most resource hungry game.

Having been playing it a bit in the past few months, I agree, unless you get mod-happy, but holy cats does the java version seem very badly optimized...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Having been playing it a bit in the past few months, I agree, unless you get mod-happy, but holy cats does the java version seem very badly optimized...

What do you mean? As an experienced console player I will tentatively say that the Bedrock version is FAR more broken than the Java one. Bedrock still has bugs that were fixes years ago on Java, like the far lands and floating-point position calculation errors.

As for mods, I'm not a huge fan of them. The most unstable thing I'll be doing is the snapshots and beta/classic versions, which act pretty much the same as vanilla. As for world corruption issues due to loading in different versions, I have an absolutely ANCIENT 5400 RPM 160GB HDD that I salvaged from a Dell laptop from 2009. It had never failed me, even when i was forced to use it, and the load times for applications and things surprisingly aren't bad.

8GB will work if that is all you are doing, but if you use your pc for general purpose you too 16GB will be much more comfortable.