high ping, and so what?

Lii
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
4 minutes ago, Lii said:

so there is a mobile isp that does offer good deals, but there is the thing that the traffic goes around the world, and by so the ping is high af (it goes around 120)

but, so what? what does happen if I do have an high ping?

Daily normal non-gaming use? Nothing.

Gaming it could have an impact depending on the game you play

so there is a mobile isp that does offer good deals, but there is the thing that the traffic goes around the world, and by so the ping is high af (it goes around 120)

4 minutes ago, Lii said:

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Depends on the games you're playing. In FPS games high latency and latency spikes can make people appear to jump through walls to you or your shots will miss due to the time it takes to register that with the server when the player has moved so the shot doesn't hit where you thought it should. Other times it can just be seen as added lag between when you hit the key and when your character does something on screen. The higher the latency the worse these issues appear to be. I would say 120ms isn't horrible, it's not great but not horrible either.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

so it doesn't really matter, besides gaming stuff?

Just now, Lii said:

Correct, you'll never notice that minor a lag in daily stuff.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Lii said:

It all depends on you. 

Ping means delay to transfer and receive information. 

So if the ping is 120 ms it means that when you click on something (related to a server e.g facebook google internet in general or click to fire your weapon in a FPS game) you wont see the result instandly but rather at a delay of 120ms which is a little bit more than 1/10th of a second. (but also mind that your system has a latency as well which varies depending on your system hardware and OS etc but lets assume 100ms) which means that in total now you will experience a 220ms delay

on top of that in many cases things dont happen one way but two ways meaning that the ping is going to be 120ms for your action to get registered but the server may need to process some additional data after that(which may also cost some time lets say 50ms) and to send that data to you it will take an other 120 ms. so 240ms +50ms+ 100ms of your system latency =390 which is almost half  a second and at this point I think it will be noticeable even if you are a casual. 

last but not least that assumes that the ping is constant at 120ms if it varies and you have spikes of more than 120 ms the situation gets worse. 

-> Moved to Networking

Ping represents time it takes packet go from you to server. So in multiplayer games, a hit to register on server and then to be  sent to opponents screen. So outside of fps games, and maybe some racing games, no issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv