Stop laptop from charging to 100%

Devryd

Hi Guys, I currently use an older sony laptop (from about 2013) and it had a program (or driver or sth) on it, that stopped it from charging over a set value (e.g. 80%). This only worked with windows 7 and since I upgraded it, I am losing battery capacity pretty quickly. Does anybody have an idea, where I could find documentation for the program in windows 7 so I can write a windows 10 version?
If anyone has a different idea on how to stop the laptop from charging the battery to 100% that would be helpful too.

2 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Hi Guys, I currently use an older sony laptop (from about 2013) and it had a program (or driver or sth) on it, that stopped it from charging over a set value (e.g. 80%). This only worked with windows 7 and since I upgraded it, I am losing battery capacity pretty quickly. Does anybody have an idea, where I could find documentation for the program in windows 7 so I can write a windows 10 version?
If anyone has a different idea on how to stop the laptop from charging the battery to 100% that would be helpful too.

If you’re worried about the battery losing capacity the best thing is to get a slower charger or something to connect to that has lower output.

I am using the stock charger with the laptop and its nearly never running on battery power, so I dont really need 100% of it. If I only charge it to about 80% it should last longer, as far as I know

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

I am using the stock charger with the laptop and its nearly never running on battery power, so I dont really need 100% of it. If I only charge it to about 80% it should last longer, as far as I know

I’m not sure then. You could always unplug it when it gets to 80%

When its running on battery, the performance is significantly worse, so this is not an option

If the battery is removable you can remove that and run directly off the wall.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

If the battery is removable you can remove that and run directly off the wall.

I was hopeing for a more convenient solution in software, because there was a program under win 7. But if this is not a case, then I will do this

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

I was hopeing for a more convenient solution in software, because there was a program under win 7. But if this is not a case, then I will do this

I get you, but that will make your battery live longer also if you use the laptop on battery you can keep it charged for when you need it. Sorry I don't know any software solutions.

What brand laptop is it? Charging is handled by the BIOS, not by the OS, so in order to limit charging to a certain level, this feature needs to be provided by the manufacturer as either a BIOS setting, or through a utility.

Each manufacturer's BIOS is different, and there are no APIs that you can use to communicate with it. So unless you want to spend the time to reverse engineer the BIOS, you simply can't write your own utility.

Most manufacturers offer some sort of utility or setting to either limit the maximum charge to 80%, so you should start your search there. If there isn't one, try to see if there is a utility that can disable AC power and force battery use, even when the laptop is plugged in.

I was in a similar situation recently with an HP laptop. They only offer the 80% charge feature in their business class laptops, and was not available for my model. However, they have a utility for all models that disables AC power, so I just wrote a quick script that monitors the battery state-of-charge, and enables/disables the charger at certain thresholds.

The laptop is a sony vaio vpcf24m1e
I had a working tool in windows 7, but there doesnt seem to be a win10 version of that tool

Be sure to quote or mention anyone who is not the OP when you are replying to them.

This feature seems to be available on Sony laptops. The setting can be found in the VAIO Control Center, which supports Windows 10.

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, badreg said:

This feature seems to be available on Sony laptops. The setting can be found in the VAIO Control Center, which supports Windows 10.

I tried installing vaio control center, but i seem to be missing some drivers, since i migrated to win 10. The sony website also doesnt have these drivers anymore. This is why I cant use vaio control center

18 minutes ago, badreg said:

also, sony doesnt have any more drivers on their website since this year...