My mic is causing a constant "Hiss" through my headphones and I can hear myself speak too even though I've disabled this options in Windows

Euphoria

I started a new job last night and had problems the whole time with getting my audio set up (great first impression). It's working now but I have a constant Hissing through my headphones when the mic is plugged in and if I talk loudly or tap the mic I can hear it clearly through the headphones. The issue is I've been into the Sound settings in W10 and disabled the Listen to this device setting and set the Boost to 0 and Mic level to 1 but it still does it.

Is there any other setting I'm missing that causes this, or is it completely normal and I've just never noticed it?

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

7 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

I started a new job last night and had problems the whole time with getting my audio set up (great first impression). It's working now but I have a constant Hissing through my headphones when the mic is plugged in and if I talk loudly or tap the mic I can hear it clearly through the headphones. The issue is I've been into the Sound settings in W10 and disabled the Listen to this device setting and set the Boost to 0 and Mic level to 1 but it still does it.

Is there any other setting I'm missing that causes this, or is it completely normal and I've just never noticed it?

did you try using a sound card, amp, or a external sound card (usb)?? i had the same problem and it saved me!

hey! i know to use a computer

1 minute ago, hirusha.adikari said:

did you try using a sound card, amp, or a external sound card (usb)?? i had the same problem and it saved me!

No. I only have the onboard card and I don't have an amp yet.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

2 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

sometimes when the data from the onboard sound card is interrupted, that weird noise comes from your microphone...

hey! i know to use a computer

Just now, hirusha.adikari said:

sometimes when the data from the onboard sound card is interrupted, that weird noise comes from your microphone...

Yeah, I thought the hissing might be EMI but the playback isn't, that must be a setting.

9 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

An amp is just gonna make the problem worse. People really often get confused by DACs and amps. The thing that an amp does is to amplify the analog signal coming from the DAC, digital to analog converter. Which takes digital data and makes it analog. Therefore amping a DAC that isn't clean then it'll make things worse. Only a DAC will be useless and an amp will make it worse. So what you are looking for is an amp/DAC combo. Such as the sound blaster G5 or G3. G3 is a great little portable amp/DAC that even works for android phones with type-C ports. But is mainly better for PC due to having software to adjust stuff.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

31 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

An amp is just gonna make the problem worse. People really often get confused by DACs and amps. The thing that an amp does is to amplify the analog signal coming from the DAC, digital to analog converter. Which takes digital data and makes it analog. Therefore amping a DAC that isn't clean then it'll make things worse. Only a DAC will be useless and an amp will make it worse. So what you are looking for is an amp/DAC combo. Such as the sound blaster G5 or G3. G3 is a great little portable amp/DAC that even works for android phones with type-C ports. But is mainly better for PC due to having software to adjust stuff.

Thanks for the info, I was aware of the differences although mostly only the basics, I only mentioned the amp as the user above suggested it.

I do want to get one and a DAC in the future to improve my setup so I appreciate the recommendations.