PC, NAS and game server on 1 CPU

Spudwell06

Is there a way to have 1 CPU (something like a 3900x or a CPU with more than 8 cores) in a single tower which can be my gaming desktop, NAS and game server

I would do this because:

• i want fast access to the files on the NAS (family photos, archive and non-frequently used games) without internet from the PC because of latency and UK internet drops
  • Modded Minecraft server for local friends
  • I get the high single threaded performance from a good CPU, but as a gamer - i only need 4 - 6

Is there a way, i don't mind virtualisation

I understand the reliability concern and issues for other but the convince of 1 box out ways that (unless there is some massive issue)

You could manage that even without virtualization. Having your minecraft server inside a docker container should do, and the same could be done for the "NAS" part, although you could simply use windows shares for that (I'm assuming you're a windows user, since using linux would be way easier to do all of that).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

4 minutes ago, igormp said:

using linux would be way easier to do all of that)

Can i have the desktop on windows, and the servers on linux, or is that asking too much from one CPU and case?

You can just run virtual machines for the various services.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

You can just run virtual machines for the various services.

Would it dramatically reduce performance (5%)?

3 minutes ago, Spudwell06 said:

Would it dramatically reduce performance (5%)?

yes it will for some extent!

hey! i know to use a computer

1 minute ago, hirusha.adikari said:

yes it will for some extent!

How much RAM would be needed? 32, 64? dual or quad channel?

I would have discord, a large game, at least 2 MC servers and a NAS

1 minute ago, Spudwell06 said:

How much RAM would be needed? 32, 64? dual or quad channel?

32gb minimum!

hey! i know to use a computer

1 hour ago, Spudwell06 said:

i want fast access to the files on the NAS (family photos, archive and non-frequently used games) without internet from the PC because of latency and UK internet drops

This is not how file sharing on a LAN works. If the plan from your ISP caps at 100Mbit you can still transfer files back and forth between your PC and a NAS at 1Gbit, 2.5Gbit, or even 10Gbit if your network adapters and/or switch allow it.

49 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

10Gbit if your network adapters and/or switch allow it

How would this be done?

Would it be ethernet? (I'm really sorry for my dumbness)

I *think* I want one box/cpu (to rule them all) where I have my servers and desktop - so I have fast access from the desktop, and just access remotely

So how do I do it? 

2 hours ago, Spudwell06 said:

How would this be done?

Would it be ethernet? (I'm really sorry for my dumbness)

I *think* I want one box/cpu (to rule them all) where I have my servers and desktop - so I have fast access from the desktop, and just access remotely

So how do I do it? 

If you're insistent on making this one box then I'd explore virtualization with the likes of PROXMOX,  VMware vSphere, UNRAID, or QEMU/KVM. If you segregate both Windows and your NAS OS into separate VM's and use paravirtualization for the network adapters your network speed limit would be that of the system bus which would be well in excess of 10Gbit without actually having to buy any 10Gbit cards. At these speeds your limiting factor would be the drives themselves.

The setup process is quite extensive, involved, and requires some hardware compatibility.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're insistent on making this one box then I'd explore virtualization with the likes of PROXMOX,  VMware vSphere, UNRAID, or QEMU/KVM. If you segregate both Windows and your NAS OS into separate VM's and use paravirtualization for the network adapters your network speed limit would be that of the system bus which would be well in excess of 10Gbit without actually having to buy any 10Gbit cards. At these speeds your limiting factor would be the drives themselves.

The setup process is quite extensive, involved, and requires some hardware compatibility.

Id probably just be lazy, run windows on the host. Use windows for storage file sharing and desktop apps, and then use hyper-v vms for other servers like minecraft. Pretty easy to setup, and doesn't require much knowledge. And a pretty reliable system if done well.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably just be lazy, run windows on the host. Use windows for storage file sharing and desktop apps, and then use hyper-v vms for other servers like minecraft. Pretty easy to setup, and doesn't require much knowledge. And a pretty reliable system if done well.

Yeah, that option exists too. Only downside is CPU affinity. I've been told you can pin cores to certain processes. I've never figured out how that works on Windows. If he doesn't he could end up butchering his servers performance if he starts a game on the host.

Guess that's part in partial of what you mean by "done well". 😉

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, that option exists too. Only downside is CPU affinity. I've been told you can pin cores to certain processes. I've never figured out how that works on Windows. If he doesn't he could end up butchering his servers performance if he starts a game on the host.

Guess that's part in partial of what you mean by "done well". 😉

task manager and other command line utilities let you pin cores.

But for general use, I don't see a reason to pin cores, the kernel does pretty well normally, even with stuff in the background..

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

task manager and other command line utilities let you pin cores.

But for general use, I don't see a reason to pin cores, the kernel does pretty well normally, even with stuff in the background..

I only have my own hands-on projects to use as a point of reference as far as CPU scheduling and how the kernel handling that goes. On Linux with QEMU/KVM the kernel doesn't handle a high load on the acting hypervisor very well when using Looking Glass. VM performance degrades significantly so I'm kind of basing my opinion off a completely different kernel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

you segregate both

I slept on it, and i realise the man issues that come with one box (no LAN parties)

I now think having 2 boxes - a desktop, and then all my servers separate

If i put 10gig cards in them, and direct ethernet them together (is that right?), will that have a 10gig max limit

Thank you so much for all your ideas btw

7 hours ago, Spudwell06 said:

I slept on it, and i realise the man issues that come with one box (no LAN parties)

I now think having 2 boxes - a desktop, and then all my servers separate

If i put 10gig cards in them, and direct ethernet them together (is that right?), will that have a 10gig max limit

Thank you so much for all your ideas btw

Depending on what OS the server is running you may have to manually configure static IP addresses but beyond that share your servers on that network and you should be able to access them with a maximum bandwidth of 10Gbit, yes.