AMD StoreMI just made PC unbootable

steelo

Hi everyone,

So, I was wanting to try AMD StoreMI to see if I could improve the speed of my HDD. Well, about 1/4 the way through the install, I got a BSOD - something along the lines of 'Page fault error'. So, I rebooted and the Windows splash screen appears, then...nothing. I've also tried safe mode and that loaded fine. It appears that it didn't completely install, so I can't even go to Control panel and uninstall it. Now, whenever I attempt to reboot I get either a blank screen or the Windows screen appears and the screen goes blank. I'm not even able to get into safe mode anymore.

Am I going to have to reset the Windows install??? Please help!

ASRock b450m HDV

Ryzen 5 1600af

XFX RX 5700 (non xt)

16 gb TForce 3000mhz RAM

Seagate 512 GB HDD

Gigabyte 240 GB SSD

force shut down 3 times in a row when you see the windows splash screen, then use the recovery tools that it (hopefully) presents to you

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

force shut down 3 times in a row when you see the windows splash screen, then use the recovery tools that it (hopefully) presents to you

Okay, I'll try that...so far, it will only show the windows loading screen then go blank...

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I was finally able to get into the recovery tools screen...attempting automatic repairs. Praying...LOL

I'm so mad at myself right now...this is a reoccurring thing...LOL. I get everything running perfectly then want to try something and screw up my PC

So, I was able to get back in running safe mode...

Where should I start to get this back to before???

I managed to solve this by uninstalling the StoreMI drivers from the command line in the Recovery Tools. I used the instructions here: 

How to uninstall driver from recovery environment on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech 

to locate the StoreMI drivers rccfg.inf, rcbottom.inf, rcraid.inf and uninstall them.

Thankfully, I was able to reboot after doing this. What a relief!

from amd site... known issue btw, sure great they advertise this "feature" without any warnings whatsoever and make people's pcs unbootable en mass (well if many ppl would install this pos to begin with I guess lol) 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/system-won-t-boot-after-installing-storemi/td-p/368824

PS: also btw, I think the issue is as follows, amd cpus are incompatible with amd storage drivers on windows and as such if you install an amd storage driver this is what (can) happen... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

from amd site... known issue btw, sure great they advertise this "feature" without any warnings whatsoever and make people's pcs unbootable en mass (well if many ppl would install this pos to begin with I guess lol) 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/system-won-t-boot-after-installing-storemi/td-p/368824

Yeah...I'm not at all happy that I made this mistake as well. After finagling with AMD's software to get my second display to work again, everything appears to be back to normal.

For those unlucky enough to run into this same issue...the way I corrected this was to boot into safe mode, then run the 'cleanup' utility located in the AMD folder that was created during the StoreMI install. It brought up a command prompt and I believe it uninstalled all of the drivers preventing Windows from booting properly. For whatever reason, it also completely fudged my display settings and I had to reset my AMD Radeon settings back to default in order to display anything on my second monitor...

glad you were able to restore your system.

as for making good use of your new SSD, consider uninstalling as much as you can from your hard drive and cloning it to your SSD, without combining volumes or anything. (assuming your windows 10 install is on the hard drive and you were using the SSD to accelerate it.)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

glad you were able to restore your system.

as for making good use of your new SSD, consider uninstalling as much as you can from your hard drive and cloning it to your SSD, without combining volumes or anything. (assuming your windows 10 install is on the hard drive and you were using the SSD to accelerate it.)

Thanks, yes...I've done just that. Unfortunately, it's only a 240gb SSD, so space is at a premium. I try not to use more than 50-75% of the space since this is also my boot (Windows) drive and I've read filling it up will substantially slow it down. The only apps/games I have installed on it are the ones I frequently use =)

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Thanks, yes...I've done just that. Unfortunately, it's only a 240gb SSD, so space is at a premium. I try not to use more than 50-75% of the space since this is also my boot (Windows) drive and I've read filling it up will substantially slow it down. The only apps/games I have installed on it are the ones I frequently use 😃

As long as you have about 10% of free space your SSD will be real fast. 

Fortunately game loads will be improved even without them being on the SSD, cause the hard drive won't have to handle windows and the game.

Primary PC:

• 2 years later...

Can anyone give an in depth tutorial on how to fix this. Cannot locate the drivers using command prompt. Any info will help!!!