New Watches May Help Measure Blood Sugar

jasonvp

Summary

Korean IT News is reporting that Samsung and Apple may be including optical blood sugar sensors in their next round of respective watches.

Quotes

Samsung Electronics has decided to apply a technology to its new smart watch “Galaxy Watch 4 (tentative)”, which is set to be introduced this second half, so that the watch is able to monitor one’s blood glucose level. The technology utilizes an optical sensor and detects blood glucose level without having to draw blood and it is expected to make a great contribution in assisting those with diabetes and normal people with managing their health.

[clip]

It is also reported that Apple is planning to apply the same feature to the “Apple Watch 7” that is expected to be introduced this year. The company has already secured relevant patented technologies and is currently testing the feature’s reliability and stability before the commercialization.

My thoughts

I've been a type one since the age of 1.  I'm... a lot older than that, now.  In 7th grade (long before most of you were even born .. 😉 ) I "invented" a watch to help measure my blood sugar.  At the time, I had no clue how to build it.  But if this comes to pass, I'm totally claiming credit for the idea.  😄

Kidding aside, I may actually break down and buy an Apple Watch if they're successful with this.  While I'm certain it won't completely replace finger sticking, it will help a diabetic watch trends throughout the day assuming it's accurate enough.  That will be a huge help.

Hopefully I can successfully wear that expensive watch without destroying it like I have most of the other watches I've owned.

Sources

https://english.etnews.com/20210125200002

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

56 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

--snip--

Sounds like something id want, Nice feature definetly. 

Not a diabetic (that I know of)

But I'm actually interested in comparing my blood sugar vs my performance in games, I feel like I perform better after a meal usually 🤔

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My opinion on most smart watches is that they are cool for, like, a couple days? And then they become sources of buyer's remorse. Never saw a good reason for almost anyone to buy them.

But if they manage to pull this off? Damn... this could become an absolute must have for diabetics, if they have decent reliability.

I mean i have wanted a smart watch again ever since I lost mine and knowing my blood sugar level wo definitely be quite nice for entirely non diabetic reasons so this may be something that I would buy tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ooh, as someone with low blood sugar, this would be quite neat. If it ends up in next Galaxy Watch and it's shown to work well and be precise, might get one really. Never even cared about smartwatches though but hey this would be great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

My opinion on most smart watches is that they are cool for, like, a couple days?

I feel like an outlier, but I still haven't seen a smartwatch that I'd considered cool let alone something I'd even remotely want to buy. Just don't see the appeal.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Apple and Samsung? I'm thinking some other company developed the optical IC, but signed exclusive contracts? If not, there could be a flood of other wristband products that do the same thing but a lot cheaper. Think solid-state accelerometer chips, they're practically in every mobile device nowadays.

34 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I feel like an outlier, but I still haven't seen a smartwatch that I'd considered cool let alone something I'd even remotely want to buy. Just don't see the appeal.

I've avoided the SmartWatch(tm) thing because of my lack of spatial awareness when it comes to the ends of my arms.  I can't count the number of times I've ignorantly rounded a corner and thought my arm was cleared of it, but found out...

WHAM!!

...my wrist slams into the wall I thought I'd just cleared.  I've nuked a number of watches doing that, and my concern is that I'd just destroy the smart watch in question.  Instead, I wear a G-Shock and have for years.  It'll go through the wall I hit.  😄

22 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Is that relevant without insulin/glucagon measurements?

I'm not what you mean by this.  Is what relevant, exactly?

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

36 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Measuring blood sugar?

Nope.  For us in the US, the measurement is a simple mg glucose/dL blood.

5 hours ago, jasonvp said:

--snip--

100% gonna buy

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

I don't wear a watch, never really have. Nor am I diabetic. I have seen this tech often mentioned and detailed but never thought it would come from the likes of Apple. If they pull this off and it is accurate enough then hats off to them big time. Even if it just hits rough brackets to warn users they need to act soon it will be a big bonus, Love or hate Apple, they do sometimes come up with something very worthwhile.