If i use much faster ram than cpu supports will motherboard automatically adjust it?

Go to solution Solved by flashiling,
1 minute ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

so it will work but the ram will only run at 2400 not 3200 right?

yes, i belive that's how it will go.

im planning to buy a ryzen 5 1500x and MSI A320M-A Pro the mobo supports up to 3200 oc ram or 2666 but not oced im planning to buy a 2x8gb 3200mhz ram and it says on the mobo it supports it but the cpu only supports 2666mhz ram and ive done a lot of research and i found on a forum that the mobo will automatically adjust the ram speed in order for it to be compatible with the cpu and work is it true or i just have to find and buy a 2666mhz ram?

i belive it is as you say, if your mother board doesn't support 3200, then it will just run it at 2666 that it supports

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, flashiling said:

i belive it is as you say, if your mother board doesn't support 3200, then it will just run it at 2666 that it supports

do i have to underclock it in bios or the mobo will automatically adjust it to 2666?

do i have to underclock it in bios or the mobo will automatically adjust it to 2666?

not quite sure, but i imagine if it tries to run at 3200 then the motherboard will just either cap the ram at 2666, if it turns out that it doesn't automatically cap it at 2666 and your system crashes, then you can try to manually set it to 2666 in your bios (though i don't think that would be necessary) 

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, flashiling said:

not quite sure, but i imagine if it tries to run at 3200 then the motherboard will just either cap the ram at 2666, if it turns out that it doesn't automatically cap it at 2666 and your system crashes, then you can try to manually set it to 2666 in your bios (though i don't think that would be necessary) 

im gonna change the question pls answer if you know 

is a 3200mhz ram going to work with a ryzen 5 1500x because it only supports upto 2400mhz or not? the motherboard will definitly support it but the cpu.. idk

5 minutes ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

im gonna change the question pls answer if you know 

is a 3200mhz ram going to work with a ryzen 5 1500x because it only supports upto 2400mhz or not? the motherboard will definitly support it but the cpu.. idk

if the cpu only supports 2400 then no it won't be able to run at 3200, but it will be able to run at up to 2400

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

if the cpu only supports 2400 then no it won't be able to run at 3200, but it will be able to run at up to 2400

yes, i belive that's how it will go.

53 minutes ago, ninjaboyxd629 said:

im planning to buy a ryzen 5 1500x and MSI A320M-A Pro the mobo supports up to 3200 oc ram or 2666 but not oced im planning to buy a 2x8gb 3200mhz ram and it says on the mobo it supports it but the cpu only supports 2666mhz ram and ive done a lot of research and i found on a forum that the mobo will automatically adjust the ram speed in order for it to be compatible with the cpu and work is it true or i just have to find and buy a 2666mhz ram?

According to AMD specs the 1500X supports "officially" memory speeds up to only 2667MHz. image.thumb.png.23b9b12661beaa983f37542c253c048a.png

However many users on other forums have reported being able to run up to 3600MHz memory with others saying 3200MHz is attainable without issues on boards with AGESA  1.0.0.4 on both B350 and B450 chipsets if they manually set the frequency and dial in the timings. Unfortunately there was no mention of A320. So to answer your question, if you buy memory that is rated for more than 2667MHz, there is a good chance that the board will automatically underclock the RAM to meet specifications. That being said, "unofficially" you could possibly be able to overclock your memory (run it as pre-binned) if you have a supporting board (again not sure if this will work on A320 as well). 

Just fyi, while your particular mileage may vary depending on the exact memory that you get, most memory kits that are JEDEC 2400MHz or 2666MHz can overclock to 3200MHz if you loosen up the timings a bit. Therefore, I would advise not to overpay for RAM that might not work at the rated speed. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here