Black screen 3080 while upgrading my PC

Go to solution Solved by LpoolTech,
11 minutes ago, jorgechew3 said:

I'm using X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI (mini-itx motherboard). I updated the BIOS yesterday which didn't do anything for my 3080 but got my R9 5900x up and running. My 3080 uses dual 8 pin power (the same as my 2080ti) and it lights up, ramps up when booting, and then settles back down just like the 2080ti except it doesn't display video. I'm running it on a PCIe riser cable though, could that maybe cause it not to work? Also I haven't found out how to check the GEN that my PCIe slot is running at.

Sorry for the weird wording.

its definitely the riser cable, most of them aren't compatible with PCIe gen 4! Try your card without it and watch this video for more info 

Hello, so as I was upgrading my PC I ran into some issues most of which have been fixed. The one problem I haven't been able to solve is that whenever I install the 3080 it doesn't appear to display video. I hook up my monitors to the card and they say "no signal detected" but whenever I switch back to my 2080ti it displays on both monitors without a problem. I know for a fact that the 3080 works because I had it hooked up to another system and it was working fine. The previous system only had a 750W 80+ Gold PSU while the one I'm upgrading has a 850W 80+ Gold PSU.

I have tried installing new drivers, power cycling, re-installing, different CPUs, and different memory.

Current specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X

850W 80+ Gold PSU

RTX 2080ti

Please help me if you can.

Any helpful comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

If you need more info just let me know.

Edited by jorgechew3
lacking a little bit of information

2 minutes ago, venomx said:

Tried a different HDMI cable ?

Yes

What MB are you using? Check if your bios is set to PCIe 3 or 4 (you can change the setting to see if the card show up) I'm assuming you are on newest bios(if not update) lastly it maybe be the power cable make sure its connected properly on both ends especially if your card uses the new 12 pin connector

Just now, LpoolTech said:

What MB are you using? Check if your bios is set to PCIe 3 or 4 (you can change the setting to see if the card show up) I'm assuming you are on newest bios(if not update) lastly it maybe be the power cable make sure its connected properly on both ends especially if your card uses the new 12 pin connector

I'm using X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI (mini-itx motherboard). I updated the BIOS yesterday which didn't do anything for my 3080 but got my R9 5900x up and running. My 3080 uses dual 8 pin power (the same as my 2080ti) and it lights up, ramps up when booting, and then settles back down just like the 2080ti except it doesn't display video. I'm running it on a PCIe riser cable though, could that maybe cause it not to work? Also I haven't found out how to check the GEN that my PCIe slot is running at.

11 minutes ago, jorgechew3 said:

its definitely the riser cable, most of them aren't compatible with PCIe gen 4! Try your card without it and watch this video for more info 

thanks I'll look into it

6 minutes ago, jorgechew3 said:

thanks I'll look into it

If you are hell bend on using your riser cable (or your case require it) you have two options change your PCIe to gen 3 or buy PCIe 4 gen riser cable (See the video)

If you are hell bend on using your riser cable (or your case require it) you have to options change your PCIe to gen 3 or buy PCIe 4 gen riser cable (See the video)

Thanks, I saw they had released this video but never watched it, I'm regretting not watching it earlier.

3 minutes ago, jorgechew3 said:

Thanks, I saw they had released this video but never watched it, I'm regretting not watching it earlier.

let me know how it goes and good luck, sounds like a awesome build

let me know how it goes and good luck, sounds like a awesome build

Thanks, I changed it to PCIe GEN3 and its working fine now. Now its time to test and enjoy.

Again thank you very much for your help.

1 minute ago, jorgechew3 said:

Thanks, I changed it to PCIe GEN3 and its working fine now. Now its time to test and enjoy.

Again thank you very much for your help.

You welcome, just keep in mind that you may be leaving some performance on the table using gen 3 

You welcome, just keep in mind that you may be leaving some performance on the table using gen 3 

I know, but sadly it'll have to stay that way until I get a new riser cable.