AGP is dead? I don't think so!

Is anyone else rocking a retro PC and using it for modern day to day driving with modern software?

For fun, a while back I decided to put together a machine using the newest of the old time parts, a mix of parts I had from years ago and ebay finds, and use it for a daily driver with Windows 10!  It turns out, thanks to some weird Russian website, while Microsoft did remove AGP support from Windows 10 shortly post release, it's possible to re-enable it using some files from a original Windows 10 build!

I dug out my old AGP 3850 video card, Quad Core Extreme CPU, DDR1 RAM, all from different builds originally, found an AsRock Motherboard on EBay that supports this mix of stuff, tossed in a couple new SSDs and old spinner drives I had (only 2x SATA ports, so I used PATA to SATA Adapters on the rest) and ended up using it daily for a couple months!  It really wasn't the worst, it's snappier in most things than a generic low end cheapo Dell office machine that a generic IT department would buy for generic office workers today!  It's not a gaming powerhouse, but I can play Half-Life 2 and Borderlands on it, beyond general office use stuff.

CPU: Quad Core Extreme QX6800

MOBO: AsRock ConRoe865PE
RAM: 4GB Corsair PC3200 DDR1 (only 3GB is addressable due to limitations of the Intel 865 chipset, which was originally built for a pentium 4!)
AGP Video Card: HIS HD3850 IceQ 3 Turbo 512mb

PCI Video Card: Zotac GeForce GT 520 512mb (PhysX works! Kinda.)
SATA 1: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (system drive)

SATA 2: Crucial BX300 120GB (Dedicated for Windows swap and page file.  With only 3GB of usable RAM, it gets a workout, and with SATA1 ports being saturated, splitting the load like this between 2 drives improves performance noticably)
PATA 1-4: Buncho old platter drives for storage on the ATA headers with SATA adapters

AsRock ConRoe865PE.jpg

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800.jpg

Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM.jpg

HIS Radeon HD 3850 AGP ICEQ.jpg

Zotac Nvidia GeForce GT 520 PCI.jpg

I didn't even know windows 10 could load on something like that.

Why????? sounds terribly slow compared to using an older version of windows or a linux distro. 

as someone who had a running phenom 9550 up until two months ago on win 10, sounds terrible.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Why????? sounds terribly slow compared to using an older version of windows or a linux distro. 

as someone who had a running phenom 9550 up until two months ago on win 10, sounds terrible.

Not that slow really!  Like I said, faster than my low end Dell 8th gen i3 machine at my office actually.  But it was a just for fun project, if I needed a serious computer or want to really game, I also have a modern i7 as well.

i be leave the AsRock ConRoe865PE is one of thows desired mb as its has some windows 98 support so gl finding one.. the cost alone for the mb you can buy a pc faster then this. but the concept is can windows 10 use agp and too you i guess it can.

my x58 dell 3500 x3680 would probably stomp this and it was around $200 with out gpu thow and 12gb ram

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i be leave the AsRock ConRoe865PE is one of thows desired mb as its has some windows 98 support so gl finding one.. the cost alone for the mb you can buy a pc faster then this. but the concept is can windows 10 use agp and too you i guess it can.

my x58 dell 3500 x3680 would probably stomp this and it was around $200 with out gpu thow and 12gb ram

Yes!  You can run everything from Windows 98 all the way up to XP officially, and I guess 10 unofficial on it.  I wouldn't be surprised if you can get below 98 running on it if you tried, I haven't.  Yeah, I paid $120 Canadian for it on EBay (~$95 USD), new old stock.  So it wasn't even that bad when I finally found it pop up in early 2019.  Besides the SSDs that I bought, everything else I had in bins sitting around forever.

16 minutes ago, RBorshuk said:

Yes!  You can run everything from Windows 98 all the way up to XP officially, and I guess 10 unofficial on it.  I wouldn't be surprised if you can get below 98 running on it if you tried, I haven't.  Yeah, I paid $120 Canadian for it on EBay (~$95 USD), new old stock.  So it wasn't even that bad when I finally found it pop up in early 2019.  Besides the SSDs that I bought, everything else I had in bins sitting around forever.

ya you can get good deals some times but most of the time that mb will probably be listed north of $300 im guessing i got an voodoo5500 a few years ago for $60 as the seller didnt no if it worked and it looked bran new. i ended up selling it for $100  with water blocks kinda regret that and a cpu water block. the mb was even new in box. today buying a voodoo 5500 is round $300-500. i still have a 6800 ultra thow that i wanted to use for the 98 pc but now that phill is dipping in to pcie on 98 i dont even no...

i been looking at build a 98 se pc so i was looking in the mb that support 98 se thats why i no this. and watching computerphill on youtube build "cheap"ish pcs

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya you can get good deals some times but most of the time that mb will probably be listed north of $300 im guessing i got an voodoo5500 a few years ago for $60 as the seller didnt no if it worked and it looked bran new. i ended up selling it for $100  with water blocks kinda regret that and a cpu water block. the mb was even new in box. today building a voodoo 5500 is round $300-500. i still have a 6800 ultra thow that i wanted to use for the 98 pc but now that phill is dipping in to pcie on 98 i dont even no...

i been looking at build a 98 se pc so i was looking in the mb that support 98 se thats why i no this. and watching computerphill on youtube build "cheap"ish pcs

I had a Voodoo 5 5500 on a Pentium 3 800 when that would have been a new build.  At some point over the years I think my parents tossed the Voodoo out after sitting in a box for years unfortunately.

Just now, RBorshuk said:

I had a Voodoo 5 5500 on a Pentium 3 800 when that would have been a new build.  At some point over the years I think my parents tossed the Voodoo out after sitting in a box for years unfortunately.

nice my dad got an voodoo 2 witch work with some game good for 3dfx and other games would not work at all. my friend had some monster gpu and that thing was slower but played everything...he also had a 4x cd burner something like a $3000 pc back in the day... pulse a bubble jet printer and skuzy hdd

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

nice my dad got an voodoo 2 witch work with some game good for 3dfx and other games would not work at all. my friend had some monster gpu and that thing was slower but played everything...he also had a 4x cd burner something like a $3000 pc back in the day... pulse a bubble jet printer and skuzy hdd

Yeah!!! Monster 3D!!  That was a 3DFX Voodoo 1 card, and 3D only, I had that in a Pentium 1 120... with maybe 32MB RAM and a SoundBlaster 16!  You needed a dedicated 2D card as well, I think I had some Trident with 2MB of RAM for that.  I was 10 years old when my family got that computer new.  I forgot all about the Monster 3D!  I really wish I still had all these things from over the years.

1 minute ago, RBorshuk said:

Yeah!!! Monster 3D!!  That was a 3DFX Voodoo 1 card, and 3D only, I had that in a Pentium 1 120... with maybe 32MB RAM and a SoundBlaster 16!  You needed a dedicated 2D card as well, I think I had some Trident with 2MB of RAM for that.  I was 10 years old when my family got that computer new.  I forgot all about the Monster 3D!  I really wish I still had all these things from over the years.

ya good times loved pc games then i dont no why. loved quake 2 online, half-life, ut, all that... had no misconstructions i guess haha and the game was made for hardcore fans.

i got my own pc save up $800 and got a p4 my dad says he may still have it at his house some were one day ill try and get a hold of it.

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv