Seeking Suggestions/Advice for System Upgrade

Budget (including currency): $2500 - $3000 USD + ~$3300 USD for selling current system = ~ $6000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, CS:GO, Call of Duty Warzone & Cold War (and the capability to run others), Blender, 3D Modeling, Some CAD Simulations, Music Production (Ableton), Heavy Multitasking (talking like 4 desktops open with at least 20-30 tabs open on each, woohoo school), RTX Enabled content

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 4K or 1440, 144 Hz at the minimum. No needed peripherals.

Current PC Build: (Yes, I do have that many fans, thank you Corsair 900D lol)

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5960X 3 GHz 8-Core Processor $180.00
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $80.00
Motherboard Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $350.00
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL15 Memory $130.00
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $50.00
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $175.00
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $50.00
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.00
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.00
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card $320.00
Case Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case $300.00
Power Supply Corsair AXi 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $275.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $110.00
Case Fan Corsair SP120 High Performance 62.74 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack $0.00
Case Fan Corsair SP120 High Performance 62.74 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack $20.00
Monitor Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $450.00
Monitor Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $450.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $3220.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-25 21:44 EST-0500  

Planned Future Build:

Hi all! I've had this system (the first one listed w/ 5960X) for about five years now. Just a note, I have had it at a relatively stable overclock of 4.3Ghz with 1.26 VCore for the majority of its' life. My 980Ti also has an overclock of +150Mhz on the core and +200Mhz on the memory. It has been doing well, but simply runs way too hot for the room that I have (even removing the overclock). I have a room with an ambient temperature of about 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and this thing can bring it up to the 85 degree range over the course of an hour or so. It's kinda nuts. Regardless, some of my hardware is no longer supported by programs I frequently use, specifically my 980Ti is not supported by Premiere, or other Adobe software that I use that supports GPU acceleration (Photoshop, illustrator, and occasionally after effects). I am also beginning to have some major audio latency issues that I have attributed to too high of a CPU load, and frequently I have to restart the PC to correct it (I have done extensive testing with different audio interfaces and recording mediums to the point where I have isolated the CPU as the limiting factor). The system also crashes with most modern games when I try to run native 1440p at 144Hz at even low settings in some games (notably Warzone). Also my system is just massive. It's probably a good 45 lbs, and as I am moving to college later this year/early next year, I want to have something a little more streamlined. Similar to this build though, I want something that is high-end enough that it will last for a few years at the minimum. I also made the mistake (I was in 8th grade at the time of this build and not aware of this) of not checking my RAM's compatibility with my motherboard, so that even though the rated speed is 3200Mhz, I can only consistently run it at 2133Mhz, sometimes getting it to go up to 2666Mhz, but anything more than that and it gives me a BSOD (not quite sure as to why, not well versed enough with overclocking to troubleshoot). I also have this odd issue where sometimes the PC will not wake from sleep, or boot into the OS after POSTing, or the monitors will get a signal and turn on, then lose signal and it'll give me a steady Q-Code on the motherboard that can only be resolved by clearing the CMOS. Also, I frequently clean the computer thoroughly and remove dust from interior. TLDR: This is old and giving me problems and I want an upgrade that will last a long while with minimal issue.

My main goal with this PC will be to have outstanding performance with decent thermals. I want to be able to have ideally one large display, with the option of adding more in the future. Is the one listed a good option? My goal is I want something with at least 144Hz refresh rate, decent enough color reproduction, and enough size to be able to work with 3 windows open at once. Are there any big no no issues that need immediate addressing with the compatibility of the components? I am pretty certain that the RAM is support by the motherboard at this speed, as it was on the manufacturer's QVL PDF(This will be subject to change though, since I initially was trying to configure a mini ITX build, but couldn't get all the features I needed, which is mostly a TON of I/O). Also a note, the 1TB SSD is intended to be the boot drive, and the 2TB is for quick access. 12TB is for long term storage stuff. I think my main concern is what are your thoughts on this, and how can I optimize this to the best of it's capability given the criteria and workloads? Thank you all in advance! And if anything needs clarification or if I forgot to add something really important, please let me know! (This is my first time actually using the forum despite being a fan of LTT since just around the Langley House days!)

Just now, BiotechBen said:

out of curiosity, what exactly are you going to be using this system for....

Listed those in the top of the post!

"Premiere Pro, CS:GO, Call of Duty Warzone & Cold War (and the capability to run others), Blender, 3D Modeling, Some CAD Simulations, Music Production (Ableton), Heavy Multitasking (talking like 4 desktops open with at least 20-30 tabs open on each, woohoo school), RTX Enabled content"

I meant more in line with the school work, are you doing engineering or like graduate level work where insane simulations are going to be running.....

9 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I meant more in line with the school work, are you doing engineering or like graduate level work where insane simulations are going to be running.....

The simulations will mostly be for circuit prototyping and analysis. I build and design guitar pedal circuits and use the data from the output of simulations for testing circuits before I build them. The main usages though will be for the gaming, audio/video work, and multitasking. (simulations are probably 10%-15% of the workloads)

Also trying to kind of go all out here. Want to built a killer system, but want to know if the components listed are good choices or if anything can be done to IMPROVE the build. Not necessarily trying to downgrade any of the listed components. Will be a build in the future for sure though, as I literally cannot purchase the GPU or any of the other components for that matter right now. (should have included this initially, apologize for any confusion)