Why laptop manufacturer (Dell, HP) doesn't sell batteries for their old model?

Chiyawa

Hi,

My company has a few Dell Precision laptops (M4700, M4800) and their batteries had died after 7 or 8 years of usage. When I'm looking for the batteries at Dell website, they don't carry these batteries any more. It's strange where you can find tons of 'OEM' batteries available (such as https://laptopbattery.co.uk/, https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/pc-and-laptop-accessories/laptop-batteries, https://www.replacement-batteries.co.uk/, and https://www.laptop-battery.org.uk/), although they are not consider original (in fact, this website from Malaysia even stated that the batteries are non-genuine but compatible: https://www.laptopbattery.com.my/dell-batteries/dell-precision-m4700-mobile-workstation-battery.htm).

My question is, why laptop manufacturers don't make their batteries available at all time? They can offer back-order so people can order the batteries from them instead of some shady websites. Sometimes these manufacturers just deliberately stop offering the batteries so you have to buy from somewhere else, and when your system exploded or caught fire, they blame you use a non-genuine batteries and void your warranties.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

i would guess it's because they would spend a fair amount of resources and money to manufacture those batteries, since not many people continue to use older laptops. most people replace laptops around the 5 year mark, so they would be making batteries for a very small market

most people are on 3-5 year update cycles. in addition, most "standard" laptops (non-gaming) are built using average spec components, so in the 3-5 years that most people are holding onto their computers, those components are no longer competitive and are outdated enough that their performance is unsatisfactory to most people. your company is the outlier in the laptop segment. many companies update every 3-4 years so that there is always support for the hardware and it is under warranty should something happen to it. Desktops are usually the systems that are running for 8-10 years as they are generally more robust to begin with and the general every day tasks being performed on them are simple enough that outdated hardware can still run it without much trouble. most programs for workstations are going to be word processing, email, spreadsheets, and videos, and with how optimized programs like that are becoming, budget mobile devices are capable of running those applications without too much trouble even as they age. the system that it sounds like you are proposing is the equivalent of running things on batteries similar to AA or 9v batteries where every manufacturer uses the same battery and every component is interchangeable. in the case you are in right now, the laptops you have are beyond their deemed "serviceable life" and the capitalist system we run under is designed for you to buy new products every given period of time. if it were not done that way, the manufacturing costs for manufacturing batteries for 10 yr old laptops would be extraordinarily expensive for the return on profit they would get selling in very small quantities to companies like yours.

Chiyawa, the answer is that they must be able to sell newer models.
As Ben already said, supporting older ones is more time/resource consuming. As a company, they won't get any profit from this. 

Back to your topic, I had some luck finding replacements on eBay. 

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

most people are on 3-5 year update cycles. in addition, most "standard" laptops (non-gaming) are built using average spec components, so in the 3-5 years that most people are holding onto their computers, those components are no longer competitive and are outdated enough that their performance is unsatisfactory to most people. your company is the outlier in the laptop segment. many companies update every 3-4 years so that there is always support for the hardware and it is under warranty should something happen to it. Desktops are usually the systems that are running for 8-10 years as they are generally more robust to begin with and the general every day tasks being performed on them are simple enough that outdated hardware can still run it without much trouble. most programs for workstations are going to be word processing, email, spreadsheets, and videos, and with how optimized programs like that are becoming, budget mobile devices are capable of running those applications without too much trouble even as they age. the system that it sounds like you are proposing is the equivalent of running things on batteries similar to AA or 9v batteries where every manufacturer uses the same battery and every component is interchangeable. in the case you are in right now, the laptops you have are beyond their deemed "serviceable life" and the capitalist system we run under is designed for you to buy new products every given period of time. if it were not done that way, the manufacturing costs for manufacturing batteries for 10 yr old laptops would be extraordinarily expensive for the return on profit they would get selling in very small quantities to companies like yours.

Well, these Precision laptop are mobile workstation. My company pay a hefty fortune for those. Those laptop include Quadro K1100M and are used for AutoCAD application. The system are still quite robust even in today's standard, spotting 3rd gen Core i7 MQ or HQ processors, which is quad core 8 threads mobile processors and support DDR3 RAM up to 32GB. So, It's a pretty hefty system, and still consider 'quite modern'. The dual core processors (non-Q) model of course are very outdated, but this machine can still out-perform many ordinary laptop when it comes to AutoCAD.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

2 hours ago, Keamon said:

i would guess it's because they would spend a fair amount of resources and money to manufacture those batteries, since not many people continue to use older laptops. most people replace laptops around the 5 year mark, so they would be making batteries for a very small market

Yeah, but, I mean, Dell, HP, Lenovo and others don't even produce their own batteries. They usually bought from other factories that produce rechargeable batteries. Dell and the likes only taking care of quality control. I guess the resources part is not really that matter.

Just now, Chiyawa said:

Well, these Precision laptop are mobile workstation. My company pay a hefty fortune for those. Those laptop include Quadro K1100M and are used for AutoCAD application. The system are still quite robust even in today's standard, spotting 3rd gen Core i7 MQ or HQ processors, which is quad core 8 threads mobile processors and support DDR3 RAM up to 32GB. So, It's a pretty hefty system, and still consider 'quite modern'. The dual core processors (non-Q) model of course are very outdated, but this machine can still out-perform many ordinary laptop when it comes to AutoCAD.

while that may be true, the laptop I'm on right now rocks a 3700U AMD APU with Vega 10 graphics with nearly identical capability at a price point of USD$725 at time of purchase (early 2020). Hardware ages out and systems fail. At 8 years, they have far outlived DELL's intended life for them.

1 hour ago, will_drake said:

Chiyawa, the answer is that they must be able to sell newer models.
As Ben already said, supporting older ones is more time/resource consuming. As a company, they won't get any profit from this. 

Back to your topic, I had some luck finding replacements on eBay. 

Yeah, Ebay is pretty much depends on your luck. There are too many cheap imitation out there. Warranties are a bit sketchy and RMA can sometimes be closed to NIL. But I guess there's the only way to get batteries.

8 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yeah, Ebay is pretty much depends on your luck. There are too many cheap imitation out there. Warranties are a bit sketchy and RMA can sometimes be closed to NIL. But I guess there's the only way to get batteries.

I understand that in malaysia tech prices are likely much more expensive, but there is always going to be some new thing that companies are trying to push and keep you buying new things. the good thing about programs like autoCAD and Revvit are that most mid-level laptops with integrated graphics. the tech industry has made leaps and bound in terms of efficiency and capability for mobile chips and APU chips. so something that used to cost thousands of dollars to run those programs, can now be had for much less... which is good for you when it come time to replace them.

I don't think AutoCAD officially support integrated graphics.

Anyway, the processor counts of course dramatically change in recent years. Getting a cheap laptop for workstation load is still not ideal if using consumer grade system because they lack security features, and Dell (and many other) still refuse to ship out Ryzen PRO laptops to Malaysia.

13 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I understand that in malaysia tech prices are likely much more expensive, but there is always going to be some new thing that companies are trying to push and keep you buying new things. the good thing about programs like autoCAD and Revvit are that most mid-level laptops with integrated graphics. the tech industry has made leaps and bound in terms of efficiency and capability for mobile chips and APU chips. so something that used to cost thousands of dollars to run those programs, can now be had for much less... which is good for you when it come time to replace them.

Anyway, the processor counts of course dramatically change in recent years. Getting a cheap laptop for workstation load is still not ideal if using consumer grade system because they lack security features, and Dell (and many other) still refuse to ship out Ryzen PRO laptops to Malaysia.

1 minute ago, Chiyawa said:

that's a very strange thing for DELL to do. I'd think they would want as much market share as possible. AutoCAD does support integrated graphics in at least 2016 and newer versions https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/autocad-uses-integrated-graphics-instead-of-discrete-graphics/td-p/5951047#:~:text=AutoCAD uses integrated graphics instead of discrete graphics,-Hi folks%2C   so that is a bonus to you. an HP ProBook 445 G7 looks like it might be a suitable replacement for the ageing DELL machines. lots of security features and plenty of capability, and currently $949.

15 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

that's a very strange thing for DELL to do. I'd think they would want as much market share as possible. AutoCAD does support integrated graphics in at least 2016 and newer versions https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/autocad-uses-integrated-graphics-instead-of-discrete-graphics/td-p/5951047#:~:text=AutoCAD uses integrated graphics instead of discrete graphics,-Hi folks%2C   so that is a bonus to you. an HP ProBook 445 G7 looks like it might be a suitable replacement for the ageing DELL machines. lots of security features and plenty of capability, and currently $949.

image.thumb.png.fbb145e22c0f27d9c13d8950a5e180d4.png

Like I said, Dell and HP deliberately WON'T carry AMD business system in Malaysia.

25 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

image.thumb.png.fbb145e22c0f27d9c13d8950a5e180d4.png

Like I said, Dell and HP deliberately WON'T carry AMD business system in Malaysia.

Curious.......... very curious.... but it looks like Ryzen is coming your way very soon.