DRAM and BOOT light is on and no video input

This is my first build and I'm still quite new to pc building. any help would be greatly appreciated cause I am so lost rn. 

Problem

System doesn't boot, says no video input. everything seems to be working (cpu and case fans work, mobo lights up). mobo has 4 lights to indicate roughly where the problem is coming from and the DRAM and BOOT light is constantly on.

What I've Tried

me being a first time builder thought the gpu is the problem since there's no video input, tried placing gpu in different slots and still doesn't work. noticed the lights are on and searched up a little. tried to place RAM in different slots, tried one stick at a time in each slot. still doesn't work. when i tried with no sticks in, only the dram light is on, boot light is off. tried to reset cmos (not sure if i did it correctly). Built everything outside the case and ensured all cable connections were secure, slowly removed one part at a time starting with the gpu, then ssd, then the ram until only the cpu is left. DRAM light is constantly on and the BOOT light switches off when no RAM stick is inserted. 

Parts

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

(bought the mobo and cpu as a bundle and it came with the bios updated) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3600 CL 18 Memory

Storage: Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX1060 (Placeholder) 

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case

What monitor are you using, and where are you plugging the cable into?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

If nothing is defective I assume your BIOS is NOT up to date but first try to reset CMOS.

Unplug your power cable of the PC and hit the power button to make shure all capacitors are emptied. Remove your CMOS battery and short the two contacts of the battery socket with a screw driver.

Wait a few minutes, put the battery back in and then try to start the PC with only one Memory Stick. The correct slot should be the second one next to the CPU but look that up in theanual to be shure.

If the System still doesn't boot it will be the BIOS or dead component. But I assume the BIOS since my Strix X570 board did exactly the same with my 5950X.

To update the BIOS download the latest BIOS for your board from the ASUS Website. Unzip the Package and run the BIOS Renamer once, the file name of your BIOS should have changed.

Then go format a USB Stick not bigger then 8GB in FAT32 and put zhe renamed BIOS .cap file on it. Put the USB Stick in the port marked with BIOS Flash. Your system should be turned off, then press and hold the BIOS Flash button for about 3sec, a LED in the tiny hole next to the button should start blinking. Wait till the LED stops blinking, this can take a while, for me about 10min but could be longer. Don't touch your system while that, don't turn it on, or off, or unplug the power or anything. When the LED stoped blinking, leave the stick in and turn the system on with the normal power button, if it worked you will probably get a RGB firmware update and a few restarts. Unplug the stick when the system did the first POST and you're good to go.

If it still doesn't boot some of your hardware is most likeley dead (CPU, MoBo or RAM)

The Ryzen 5600X has no iGPU (integrated graphics), so the HDMI / DisplayPorts on the BACK of the motherboard is NOT functional.

You need a G-series Ryzen APU to be able use those said video outputs.

This means, you NEED to plug your monitor / display into the back of the GTX 1060, or you get nothing on-screen.

Depending on the model of the GTX 1060, it could either need a PCI-E 6-pin, or PCI-E 8-pin power cable, etc.

That PCI-E power cable is REQUIRE, and NOT optional.

X570 / B550 motherboards does not *exactly* support Ryzen 5000-series out-of-the-box.

They will need a BIOS update to properly support the Ryzen 5600X or any other 5000-seies Ryzen CPU.

This is holds true if the B550 / X570 (or B450 / X470) board in questions rolled out the ASUS plant prior for Ryzen 5000-series release (e..g old stock).

Any of the B550 / X570 boards you get now (after Ryzen 5000-series) release, *should* support Ryzen 5000-series out-of-the-box.

Yes, if you start pulling parts out of the system, MORE of those Debug LEDs will light up.

You are missing more and more parts needed for the system to boot.

If you pull all your DRAM sticks out, the DRAM LED is light up, because DRAM is missing.

Next you pull all your SSDs / HDDs out, is now doesn't detect a storage drive, so Boot LED lights up... etc, etc...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

37 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

What monitor are you using, and where are you plugging the cable into?

Philips 242M7, i use hdmi cable from the graphics card to the monitor

23 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

If nothing is defective I assume your BIOS is NOT up to date but first try to reset CMOS.

Unplug your power cable of the PC and hit the power button to make shure all capacitors are emptied. Remove your CMOS battery and short the two contacts of the battery socket with a screw driver.

Wait a few minutes, put the battery back in and then try to start the PC with only one Memory Stick. The correct slot should be the second one next to the CPU but look that up in theanual to be shure.

If the System still doesn't boot it will be the BIOS or dead component. But I assume the BIOS since my Strix X570 board did exactly the same with my 5950X.

To update the BIOS download the latest BIOS for your board from the ASUS Website. Unzip the Package and run the BIOS Renamer once, the file name of your BIOS should have changed.

Then go format a USB Stick not bigger then 8GB in FAT32 and put zhe renamed BIOS .cap file on it. Put the USB Stick in the port marked with BIOS Flash. Your system should be turned off, then press and hold the BIOS Flash button for about 3sec, a LED in the tiny hole next to the button should start blinking. Wait till the LED stops blinking, this can take a while, for me about 10min but could be longer. Don't touch your system while that, don't turn it on, or off, or unplug the power or anything. When the LED stoped blinking, leave the stick in and turn the system on with the normal power button, if it worked you will probably get a RGB firmware update and a few restarts. Unplug the stick when the system did the first POST and you're good to go.

If it still doesn't boot some of your hardware is most likeley dead (CPU, MoBo or RAM)

i'm kind of new to all this and read somewhere to update the BIOS i need to use an older CPU? i don't have one, would it work using my current CPU? 

Your luck is, your mainboard, with usb bios flash you can update just like I described.

Edit.: Even without any components on the MoBo, just Power. It was called EZ flash once, don't know how it's called now.

5 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

The Ryzen 5600X has no iGPU (integrated graphics), so the HDMI / DisplayPorts on the BACK of the motherboard is NOT functional.

You need a G-series Ryzen APU to be able use those said video outputs.

This means, you NEED to plug your monitor / display into the back of the GTX 1060, or you get nothing on-screen.

Depending on the model of the GTX 1060, it could either need a PCI-E 6-pin, or PCI-E 8-pin power cable, etc.

That PCI-E power cable is REQUIRE, and NOT optional.

X570 / B550 motherboards does not *exactly* support Ryzen 5000-series out-of-the-box.

They will need a BIOS update to properly support the Ryzen 5600X or any other 5000-seies Ryzen CPU.

This is holds true if the B550 / X570 (or B450 / X470) board in questions rolled out the ASUS plant prior for Ryzen 5000-series release (e..g old stock).

Any of the B550 / X570 boards you get now (after Ryzen 5000-series) release, *should* support Ryzen 5000-series out-of-the-box.

i connected the monitor to the gpu and is powered with pci-e  6 pin. i bought the cpu and mobo together and they said the BIOS update will be done for me. 

1 minute ago, Plermpel said:

Your luck is, your mainboard with usb bios flash you can update just like I described.

ok, i will try that next. will let you know how it goes, thank you

5 minutes ago, jaeguar said:

i'm kind of new to all this and read somewhere to update the BIOS i need to use an older CPU? i don't have one, would it work using my current CPU? 

The B550-F Gaming has the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

You don't need an older (or any CPU installed) to update the BIOS.

Heck, you don't even need RAM / CPU / SSD / GPU installed to use USB BIOS Flashback feature -- as long as you have a PSU powering the motherboard.

Grab one of the new(er) BIOS files from ASUS's B550-F Gaming webpage, extract / unzip the file, and put it onto a USB stick.

https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

Follow the steps word-for-word from Page 2-12 in the motherboard manual.

image.png.d8aa440e2dc08457ba21345f853cf1e0.png

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

3 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

The B550-F Gaming has the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

You don't need an older (or any CPU installed) to update the BIOS.

Heck, you don't even need RAM / CPU / SSD / GPU installed to use USB BIOS Flashback feature -- as long as you have a PSU powering the motherboard.

Grab one of the new(er) BIOS files from ASUS's B550-F Gaming webpage, extract / unzip the file, and put it onto a USB stick.

https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

Follow the steps word-for-word from Page 2-12 in the motherboard manual.

image.png.d8aa440e2dc08457ba21345f853cf1e0.png

so it's safer to remove everything and just have the MOBO connected to the PSU? 

6 minutes ago, jaeguar said:

so it's safer to remove everything and just have the MOBO connected to the PSU? 

It would be the same.

USB BIOS Flashback doesn't care if you have everything plugged in / installed, or not.

Even if you have everything connected, USB BIOS Flashback will just ignore them / pretend it's no there.

If you are first time builder, I would probably leave the CPU in the socket (if it's already in there).

Lower the chance of bending / damaging the tiny CPUs pins, or damaging the socket.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

12 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

It would be the same.

USB BIOS Flashback doesn't care if you have everything plugged in / installed, or not.

Even if you have everything connected, USB BIOS Flashback will just ignore them / pretend it's no there.

If you are first time builder, I would probably leave the CPU in the socket (if it's already in there).

Lower the chance of bending / damaging the tiny CPUs pins, or damaging the socket.

will try this next and let you guys know how it goes, thank you

update:

after updating the bios and making sure everything is plugged in correctly, it now works. Thank you to everyone who helped