Finding the right mate for my currently single monitor

FrankGehry

I bought an LG UD68-W back around March 2019 because I just built my first computer. I do creative work, so I wanted a good value IPS 4k screen, and I don't care too much about FPS.

Now, I would like to buy a second monitor to go with it, but I cannot find the same exact monitor (white color). I can, however, purchase the black edition, and I'm okay having the same monitors, but with different housing colors.

But, then I wonder if it's worth spending ~$400 on this monitor that I believe is almost 5 years old as there are questions on the Amazon page from May of 2016.

So, would it be wiser, in your opinion, for me to bail on the idea of having matching monitors and instead buy a more 'up to date' IPS 4k monitor for around the same price? If there's a better monitor out there, I'm open to suggestions.

In terms of creative work, I can mostly do any color specific work on the better monitor, and use the other for non-color specific tasks. I'm not crazy about RGB and outlandish aesthetics either if that matters.

EDIT: For instance, I'm eyeing this monitor from LG as well, and it's just 10 bucks more...not sure if it's notably better or not.

Yeah just get a new one. Asus has their proart stuff and that is pretty darn good. Their budget offerings are already on par/better than the lg. You also have some lower end eizo screens that are like "chefs kiss".

Do let me know if you find some that interest you best to doublecheck em :p. Also if you really wanna step up your game a colour calibrator for screens is really really really nice. It can make even kinda cruddy budget sub 150 monitors look rather great. Sure they won't be as good as a better calibrated monitor but damn can you get some value out of otherwise decentish screens at best that suddenly are totally usable for actual color accurate work. I got an old spyder 4 from ebay for pretty cheap and that thing was one of the best purchases as I didn't know how off my wacom cintiq 13 had gotten after the last time I calibrated it a couple years ago.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do let me know if you find some that interest you best to doublecheck em :p. Also if you really wanna step up your game a colour calibrator for screens is really really really nice. It can make even kinda cruddy budget sub 150 monitors look rather great. Sure they won't be as good as a better calibrated monitor but damn can you get some value out of otherwise decentish screens at best that suddenly are totally usable for actual color accurate work. I got an old spyder 4 from ebay for pretty cheap and that thing was one of the best purchases as I didn't know how off my wacom cintiq 13 had gotten after the last time I calibrated it a couple years ago.

I appreciate your input. I just had a look at the ProArt monitors, and $299 certainly sounds better than $399 (for the LG monitor I linked). I'd be curious if you have an suggestions for the $300 to $400 price range (USD).

And yes, I've seen the color calibration tools as well. Would you recommend one like this? I'm curious how much a difference it would make from how I see my screen now, but hearing you describe it makes me want to buy one. Do you think if I have two different monitors, I could use the color calibrator and get their displays close to matching?

2 minutes ago, FrankGehry said:

I appreciate your input. I just had a look at the ProArt monitors, and $299 certainly sounds better than $399 (for the LG monitor I linked). I'd be curious if you have an suggestions for the $300 to $400 price range (USD).

And yes, I've seen the color calibration tools as well. Would you recommend one like this? I'm curious how much a difference it would make from how I see my screen now, but hearing you describe it makes me want to buy one. Do you think if I have two different monitors, I could use the color calibrator and get their displays close to matching?

Don't have much better rn but also ran out of time to find stuff for now so will update if I find something good.

Yeah that sypder is the new version of what I have. Oh and for sure it gets many screens far closer to eachother. Sure it will never be 100% perfect but you'll get damn close. Does take some time tho but that is normal. I tend to do a yearly check and a bimonthly check for the first half year of a new monitor as often those have to "set" a bit.

Of course don't have to get a new one plenty going around on the used market got my spyder4pro for like 40 something cuz the outside casing has a nasty scratch which does not matter at all for the functionality of the device.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Don't have much better rn but also ran out of time to find stuff for now so will update if I find something good.

Yeah that sypder is the new version of what I have. Oh and for sure it gets many screens far closer to eachother. Sure it will never be 100% perfect but you'll get damn close. Does take some time tho but that is normal. I tend to do a yearly check and a bimonthly check for the first half year of a new monitor as often those have to "set" a bit.

Of course don't have to get a new one plenty going around on the used market got my spyder4pro for like 40 something cuz the outside casing has a nasty scratch which does not matter at all for the functionality of the device.

I just pulled the trigger on the color calibrator 

11 hours ago, FrankGehry said:

I just pulled the trigger on the color calibrator 

I'd say get that proart for 300 can't beat it.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I'd say get that proart for 300 can't beat it.

Hmm, I just realized that the $300 pro art display is only 1440p. Would there be a good 4k recommendation?

3 minutes ago, FrankGehry said:

Hmm, I just realized that the $300 pro art display is only 1440p. Would there be a good 4k recommendation?

The next step up that keeps the quality of the proart would be a Dell U2718Q it's above budget tho at usually around 450. The LG 27UD58-B is a more budget offering that is good but not as good as the proart or dell. Of course colour calibrating will get them much closer to each other but the dell still has the better panel.

The reason the proart is 1440p is simple. Most ui still doesn't scale well and often 4k makes ui too small and not usable. Hence why it's 1440p. That and it's to keep the price down as that monitor really is meant for people to get a great screen for a good price to start doing professional work where colors are important.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The next step up that keeps the quality of the proart would be a Dell U2718Q it's above budget tho at usually around 450. The LG 27UD58-B is a more budget offering that is good but not as good as the proart or dell. Of course colour calibrating will get them much closer to each other but the dell still has the better panel.

The reason the proart is 1440p is simple. Most ui still doesn't scale well and often 4k makes ui too small and not usable. Hence why it's 1440p. That and it's to keep the price down as that monitor really is meant for people to get a great screen for a good price to start doing professional work where colors are important.

Thank you for the input. I could potentially swing the Dell for around $450 but I also see it on sites like this for substantially less at $213. There are three sites under Google Shopping that have it available at that price...any idea what's up with that? Maybe I could talk myself into downgrading to 1440p with the points you mention.

Do you have any thoughts on this monitor?

2 minutes ago, FrankGehry said:

Thank you for the input. I could potentially swing the Dell for around $450 but I also see it on sites like this for substantially less at $213. There are three sites under Google Shopping that have it available at that price...any idea what's up with that? Maybe I could talk myself into downgrading to 1440p with the points you mention.

Do you have any thoughts on this monitor?

Something is way way off on those sites. That and it translates to dutch automatically so I have a feeling that is a scam site.

That lg is good but the dell is a lot better. Saw it pop up multiple times too as a good step up from the budget lg I recommended but since the dell can be had for the same price they never recommended getting the lg over it.

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Something is way way off on those sites. That and it translates to dutch automatically so I have a feeling that is a scam site.

That lg is good but the dell is a lot better. Saw it pop up multiple times too as a good step up from the budget lg I recommended but since the dell can be had for the same price they never recommended getting the lg over it.

Do you mind giving me a link to a site where I could purchase the Dell. It looks like Dell is saying it's discontinued, and other sites have it, but for +$600. Does the '18' in the model number refer to the year is was released? Do you think the U2720Q would be the same monitor but just updated to 2020?

On 1/26/2021 at 8:49 AM, jaslion said:

I purchased the Asus Proart display ($299 version). It arrived today, so I'm excited to set it up once I get home from work.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, FrankGehry said:

I purchased the Asus Proart display ($299 version). It arrived today, so I'm excited to set it up once I get home from work.

My apologies I missed the reply on tuesday. The u2720q is a different monitor. Hope you enjoy the proart