Mining and Gaming in a Windows VM

Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
4 minutes ago, PhoenixGamer said:

Hello!

I would like to preface this with the fact that I have never done a VM before, and so will need some serious help. 

Basically, I want to be able to play games and mine in a windows VM (the host is currently Windows as well) as to protect myself from malware that may come across at any point. Don't just tell me its safe, I want to be very careful. Is there any VM that can do both, with minimal(ish) performance loss? 

i7-9700k

RTX 3070

32GB 3600mhz ram

I also have an old AMD Firepro graphics card, and the CPU has integrated graphics, if those make any difference (I don't think they do, just wanted to list them)

So you want to mine one the graphics card and play on the iGPU? Both won't work so well on a single card. Running VMs on a single 9700k is possible but you will half your cpu. So if you play older games that may be fine. A dedicated system would be a better choice or have the miner run while you are not in front of the computer instead. 

Hello!

I would like to preface this with the fact that I have never done a VM before, and so will need some serious help. 

Basically, I want to be able to play games and mine in a windows VM (the host is currently Windows as well) as to protect myself from malware that may come across at any point. Don't just tell me its safe, I want to be very careful. Is there any VM that can do both, with minimal(ish) performance loss? 

i7-9700k

RTX 3070

32GB 3600mhz ram

I also have an old AMD Firepro graphics card, and the CPU has integrated graphics, if those make any difference (I don't think they do, just wanted to list them)

4 minutes ago, PhoenixGamer said:

Hello!

i7-9700k

RTX 3070

32GB 3600mhz ram

So you want to mine one the graphics card and play on the iGPU? Both won't work so well on a single card. Running VMs on a single 9700k is possible but you will half your cpu. So if you play older games that may be fine. A dedicated system would be a better choice or have the miner run while you are not in front of the computer instead.