AUX cable broke motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
23 minutes ago, THE_NORMAL_GUY63 said:

here is what happens (dont mind the cables)

Ah that is onboard video, that's a different story then. Many possibilities. The easiest is to get a graphics card to test it out. If it then works, the board is fine, if not the board is either toast or needs fixing. You can take it out of the case and if you have a multimeter and a good magnifying glass, try to locate damaged components or missing ones at that. If all you want is the data off those drives, putting them into a external case is the fastest solution. Also check the motherboard for jumpers. There should be one enabling the graphics card. If the small jumper cap is missing it can cause the issues. You could also have a bad vga connector, which can be solved with some soldering. All in all a very lengthy process.

some years ago my father tried to use the p2 cord to on the pc to hear music through the speakers he had but when he pluged the cord that broke the motherboard, now if we try to plug the vga cable it just dosent work, even my father that is an computers guy doesn't know what caused that, does any one know?

What is a P2 cable?
Can you provide the specs of your PC?
Can you try and describe your issue more - and why are you using VGA?

elephants

P2 is the aux cord, its an old pc, the mother board is a ecs ht2000 geforce 6100, the cpu is some old amd, i dont remember well, i got to look, the computer turns on but has no video display.

4 minutes ago, THE_NORMAL_GUY63 said:

P2 is the aux cord, its an old pc, the mother board is a ecs ht2000 geforce 6100, the cpu is some old amd, i dont remember well, i got to look, the computer turns on but has no video display.

Make sure to quote people so they see your reply.

Can you walk me through exactly what you and your dad did?

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

What is a P2 cable?
Can you provide the specs of your PC?
Can you try and describe your issue more - and why are you using VGA?

P2 is the aux cord, its an old pc, the mother board is a ecs ht2000 geforce 6100, the cpu is a amd phenom ii x4, i dont remember well, i got to look, the gpu is a ATI Radeon X600, it has 4 gbs of ddr2 ram, the computer turns on but has no video display.

didn't click quote

Edited by THE_NORMAL_GUY63
didn't click quote

9 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Make sure to quote people so they see your reply.

Can you walk me through exactly what you and your dad did?

the pc was old so he took it to the garage/workshop to hear some musics the pc had, he pluged the aux cord and then the pc died. (i didn't click quote again lol) (oh and i rememberd the cpu is a amd phenom ii x4)

19 minutes ago, THE_NORMAL_GUY63 said:

some years ago my father tried to use the p2 cord to on the pc to hear music through the speakers he had but when he pluged the cord that broke the motherboard, now if we try to plug the vga cable it just dosent work, even my father that is an computers guy doesn't know what caused that, does any one know?

Maybe something shorted out. I am guessing he really smashed that poor plug into the rear io there and broke off some solder joints. Very few people call it a P2 plug. Usually you would refer to it as a 3.5 mm stereo connector or jack.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Maybe something shorted out. I am guessing he really smashed that poor plug into the rear io there and broke off some solder joints. Very few people call it a P2 plug. Usually you would refer to it as a 3.5 mm stereo connector or jack.

I talked to him and he gave me some details, (no he did not use any force to plug the aux) he had an rca to aux he was going to use in the speakers, he said maybe it was charged with static electricity and fried the board.

Just now, THE_NORMAL_GUY63 said:

I talked to him and he gave me some details, (no he did not use any force to plug the aux) he had an rca to aux he was going to use in the speakers, he said maybe it was charged with static electricity and fried the board.

Could be, if the connector was bad, RCA usually has pretty decend shielding but an adapter could do that if the speakers were powered, especially on older motherboards. So the does turn on but you loose it when the monitor cable get's plugged in? I'd call that a grounding issue, either on the monitor side or the pc. It shutting down would be the right thing to do to protect itself. You can try another power supply if you like, sometimes that does fix some power related issues. Also try screwing in the screws that the vga connector has, at the pc and at the monitor. Also do a CMOS reset by removing the CMOS battery (the shiny round cell battery) for a couple of minutes with the power cord unplugged. Also hit the case power button a couple of times while unplugged to discharge the capacitors.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Could be, if the connector was bad, RCA usually has pretty decend shielding but an adapter could do that if the speakers were powered, especially on older motherboards. So the does turn on but you loose it when the monitor cable get's plugged in? I'd call that a grounding issue, either on the monitor side or the pc. It shutting down would be the right thing to do to protect itself. You can try another power supply if you like, sometimes that does fix some power related issues. Also try screwing in the screws that the vga connector has, at the pc and at the monitor. Also do a CMOS reset by removing the CMOS battery (the shiny round cell battery) for a couple of minutes with the power cord unplugged. Also hit the case power button a couple of times while unplugged to discharge the capacitors.

No, when the monitor cable is pluged it doesn't shutdown, it keeps going but there is no video display, and the monitor works fine when the laptop is pluged to it 

Just now, THE_NORMAL_GUY63 said:

No, when the monitor cable is pluged it doesn't shutdown, it keeps going but there is no video display, and the monitor works fine when the laptop is pluged to it 

Replace the video card. A crappy used card will do to test it out.

23 minutes ago, THE_NORMAL_GUY63 said:

here is what happens (dont mind the cables)

Ah that is onboard video, that's a different story then. Many possibilities. The easiest is to get a graphics card to test it out. If it then works, the board is fine, if not the board is either toast or needs fixing. You can take it out of the case and if you have a multimeter and a good magnifying glass, try to locate damaged components or missing ones at that. If all you want is the data off those drives, putting them into a external case is the fastest solution. Also check the motherboard for jumpers. There should be one enabling the graphics card. If the small jumper cap is missing it can cause the issues. You could also have a bad vga connector, which can be solved with some soldering. All in all a very lengthy process.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 7:53 PM, Applefreak said:

Hey just wanted to give you an update, the pc now works! the problem was on the ram, after removing the bad stick its back to working