Low FPS on Fortnite with RTX 3070 and Ryzen 7 3700x at 1080p

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a new RTX 3070 Asus Dual OC, upgrading from a RTX 2060 ko. After upgrading, my FPS on Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5 barely increased. On every low setting, I am getting 220 average fps, and on medium I am getting 190 average fps at 1080p.

Here is my system:

ryzen 7 3700x			@ 50 - 52 C	|	4275Mhz		|	40% usage
RTX 3070 Asus Dual OC		@ 60 - 62 C	|	1905Mhz		|	70% usage
Corsair a500 air cooler
msi b450 tomahawk max
32gb (2 x 16) ddr4 3200mhz corsair lpx vengeance ram in dual channel
700 watt 80+ gold EVGA PSU
Crucial MX500 1tb SSD

Nvidia Driver: 461.09 Released 1/07/21

For the following numbers, I used MSI afterburner to record FPS numbers in Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5.

ALL LOW SETTINGS:

24-01-2021, 21:45:49 FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe benchmark completed, 111113 frames rendered in 496.532 s
                     Average framerate  :  223.7 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :  114.7 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :  286.1 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :  139.2 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   47.9 FPS

ALL MEDIUM SETTINGS (also changed view distance to Epic, everything else medium):

24-01-2021, 21:51:18 FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe benchmark completed, 32743 frames rendered in 172.109 s
                     Average framerate  :  190.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   88.8 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :  238.8 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :  122.2 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   46.4 FPS

These results are very consistent across multiple runs, multiple days, both on DirectX 11 and DirectX 12. I am on the latest Nvidia Drivers, and I used DDU to do a clean install of Nvidia drivers after upgrading from my RTX 2060 ko. I have Wallpaper Engine OFF, and virtualization (in my bios) OFF (it's worse with both of them on).

What I've tried 

I've tried to turn XMP on and off for my RAM, going from 2133mmhz to 3200mmhz, and on 2133mmhz the FPS is really bad (around 200 on low).

I've tried turning on and off "prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia Control Panel.

I've tried turning on and off "Allow Multithreaded Rendering" in the Fortnite settings.

The best performance I've gotten is 220 fps on all low settings with

1) XMP ON

2) prefer maximum performance ON

3) allow multithreaded rendering ON

I'm really not sure what the issue is because I see other people getting 400-500fps with these pc parts and settings. 

I've run Geekbench for testing and here are my results with my RAM set to 3200mhz.

image.png.f922ca8740a456b44f7aa31e9797080e.png

I've also run Firestrike time spy and here are my results with my RAM set to 3200mhz.

947189528_32gb2x16161818383200mhzcorsaircoolerrtx3070newcasesidepanelsclosedbenchmark1.thumb.png.5ce28ff0ff9bf64700a77601003c45d9.png

I've also run Unigine Superposition on 1080p Extreme with my RAM set to 3200mhz

125059455_unignesuperpositionrtx307032gb3200mhz16181838ram.thumb.png.b7df96ba970f40043425b2ba7922a7c2.png

People with similar systems are scoring 25% higher than me as seen here on Unigine.

767310910_unignesuperpositionrtx3070benchmarkcomparison.thumb.png.0ae2bcc175b9523c4d75267e13f48604.png

If you've made it this far, I appreciate you reading this post and trying to help me out. 

Thank you all 😄 

Well what do you expect? Fortnite is running into a cpu limit as it's maxing out a core on your cpu so thats it it can't go higher because one core is at or near 100%. Getting a better gpu doesn't help you when the cpu is the one holding you back.

Either way your fps is excellent and well most games aren't even made to run past 144fps because that is the most popular high refresh rate. That and getting higher than that gets really hard to achieve on any hardware in a lot of games. So basically you are getting as good as it gets right now. Do you have a 240hz monitor or something? You're always simply better off with a 144hz monitor so you can always reach the fps cap of the monitor that and the difference between 144 and 240hz is so so so small anyways you won't notice. If you don't have a monitor with a refresh rate that is above the fps you are getting then there is no "problem" here at all

43 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well what do you expect? Fortnite is running into a cpu limit as it's maxing out a core on your cpu so thats it it can't go higher because one core is at or near 100%. Getting a better gpu doesn't help you when the cpu is the one holding you back.

Either way your fps is excellent and well most games aren't even made to run past 144fps because that is the most popular high refresh rate. That and getting higher than that gets really hard to achieve on any hardware in a lot of games. So basically you are getting as good as it gets right now. Do you have a 240hz monitor or something? You're always simply better off with a 144hz monitor so you can always reach the fps cap of the monitor that and the difference between 144 and 240hz is so so so small anyways you won't notice. If you don't have a monitor with a refresh rate that is above the fps you are getting then there is no "problem" here at all

Yes, I do have a 240Hz monitor. I used to play Overwatch at a higher level. Anyways, I dont think it's a cpu limit, because I've seen people on youtube that have worse components have much higher FPS than me. Here are examples:

ryzen 3700x + 1650 super, Low settings https://youtu.be/1-OGLwXW8jo?t=184

As we see in the above, his GPU is much worse than mine yet he gets the same framerates.

3060 ti, Low settings https://youtu.be/hRq9g64fRnU?t=321

As we see in the above, his GPU is slightly worse than mine yet he gets 160 more fps.

2 minutes ago, justinaylmao said:

Yes, I do have a 240Hz monitor. I used to play CSGO at a higher level. Anyways, I dont think it's a cpu limit, because I've seen people on youtube that have worse components have much higher FPS than me. Here are examples:

As we see in the above, his GPU is much worse than mine yet he gets the same framerates.

As we see in the above, his GPU is slightly worse than mine yet he gets 160 more fps.

Yeah as I said you are cpu limited not gpu. One core is maxed out so that's it. The game can't run better if a cpu core is at 100%. The dude that runs the game better has a cpu that has a lot higher single core performance and he oc'd it in the past so it might still be running on that oc hence why his framerate is so much better as his single core performance is just so much higher.

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How did you deduct that one of the cores is maxing out ? is it there in the 1st post and I missed it ?

Just now, Biomecanoid said:

How did you deduct that one of the cores is maxing out ? is it there in the 1st post and I missed it ?

I know this because I've answered many questions like these before. Last time was for a person with a 3080 and 2700x I think. Same issue same solution. Just have msi afterburner or something running in overlay during gaming and you'll see one core maxing out (or 2 cores stuck at 50% or very near to 50% but never more). Basically shows the issue.

That and your gpu is performing totally fine.

Also the dude with the 1650 is also having a cpu limit as their gpu is not going at 100%.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I know this because I've answered many questions like these before. Last time was for a person with a 3080 and 2700x I think. Same issue same solution. Just have msi afterburner or something running in overlay during gaming and you'll see one core maxing out (or 2 cores stuck at 50% or very near to 50% but never more). Basically shows the issue.

That and your gpu is performing totally fine.

Also the dude with the 1650 is also having a cpu limit as their gpu is not going at 100%.

So to actually prove it he needs to activate the overlay of afterburner . understood

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

So to actually prove it he needs to activate the overlay of afterburner . understood

Yup. But this is very known. So yeah basically you know what the problem is now if you wanna see if happen open afterburner and task manager and you should see it immediately.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yup. But this is very known. So yeah basically you know what the problem is now if you wanna see if happen open afterburner and task manager and you should see it immediately.

So he would have been just fine with just a 3060 then.

Just now, Biomecanoid said:

So he would have been just fine with just a 3060 then.

With a 2060 even. There was no need to upgrade. The dude is getting max fps with a 1650.

Is much else running in the background? You seem a bit far from the median in 3dmark. Maybe try enabling PBO and autoOC.

Edit: Clocktuner for ryzen hybrid oc might be better? Also how old is your windows install?

42 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Is much else running in the background? You seem a bit far from the median in 3dmark. Maybe try enabling PBO and autoOC.

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

With a 2060 even. There was no need to upgrade. The dude is getting max fps with a 1650.

50 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Here I've recorded some gameplay with everything being monitored. Nothing else is running besides Fortnite, Discord, and OBS.

RTX 3070 Ryzen 3700X Fortnite Benchmark 1080p Competitive settings - YouTube

Edited by justinaylmao
Included all relevant messages

23 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Edit: Clocktuner for ryzen hybrid oc might be better? Also how old is your windows install?

I don't have anything overclocked, but that shouldnt explain why I'm in the 10th percentile for my GPU compared to other RTX 3070's. I should be somewhere around the 50th percentile right? Also my windows 10 is up to date, but I first installed it when I built my computer like 6 months ago

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎8/‎1/‎2020
OS build    19042.746
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

1 hour ago, justinaylmao said:

Yes, I do have a 240Hz monitor. I used to play Overwatch at a higher level. Anyways, I dont think it's a cpu limit, because I've seen people on youtube that have worse components have much higher FPS than me. Here are examples:

I found another example where the user has the following

ryzen 3600 + 1660 super, Low settings (competitive) https://youtu.be/f2zlgCcJ1Nw?t=10

As we see in the above, his CPU and GPU are worse than mine yet he gets 300 fps at the same settings

29 minutes ago, justinaylmao said:

I don't have anything overclocked, but that shouldnt explain why I'm in the 10th percentile for my GPU compared to other RTX 3070's. I should be somewhere around the 50th percentile right? Also my windows 10 is up to date, but I first installed it when I built my computer like 6 months ago

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎8/‎1/‎2020
OS build    19042.746
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

3dmark probably has more overclocked runs than runs below stock. You can even see in the chart that the most common score is slightly below average. I would expect better than 10th percentile, though.

Have you installed the chipset drivers and their power plans?

3 minutes ago, justinaylmao said:

I found another example where the user has the following

ryzen 3600 + 1660 super, Low settings (competitive) https://youtu.be/f2zlgCcJ1Nw?t=10

As we see in the above, his CPU and GPU are worse than mine yet he gets 300 fps at the same settings

IIRC performance mode is separate to low settings.