Is the 1660 Ti good

SquiddyButler
Go to solution Solved by Middcore,
3 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

I just bought the 1660 Ti because it was in stock, I was originally going to buy the 3080 but I'd rather not wait a year until those are in stock. Is the one that I just bought good? Does it have decent frames and would I be able to record and play with little lag. 

Benchmarks of the 1660 ti that will show you what kind of performance it's capable of, in both graph and gameplay video form, are readily available. 

If you are a person who doesn't know what refresh rate your monitor is, especially when that information is in the title of the item listing for said monitor, I think you'll be perfectly happy with a 1660 ti and should stop worrying and second-guessing so much. 

I just bought the 1660 Ti because it was in stock, I was originally going to buy the 3080 but I'd rather not wait a year until those are in stock. Is the one that I just bought good? Does it have decent frames and would I be able to record and play with little lag. 

Just now, SquiddyButler said:

Or should I return it and wait a while

What resolution? What CPU? What games?

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 minute ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

What resolution? What CPU? What games?

I have a 1080p monitor, i9 10850k and fortnite, minecraft, rocket league

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

What refresh rate is the monitor? A 1660ti is a far cry from a 3080, but it would be fine in the interim while you wait for a 3080 to come in stock. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

What refresh rate is the monitor? A 1660ti is a far cry from a 3080, but it would be fine in the interim while you wait for a 3080 to come in stock. 

Here's a link to the monitor I have 

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-E248W-19203R-Monitor-Speakers-Metallic/dp/B0773ZY26F/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sceptre&pd_rd_r=9bc25585-dabc-48b3-8d98-c7c3e2453ba5&pd_rd_w=kWs6Y&pd_rd_wg=r5yLE&pf_rd_p=4223292f-5e3e-4e2f-abde-ab59b33e7b79&pf_rd_r=3VPG6HD23RHGA6J59ATW&qid=1611607248&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

5 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

You shouldn't buy a 3080 for 1080p anyway, I'd say an RTX 3070 or a 3060 Ti if you want high refresh rate.

For 75 hz 1080p in those games, 1660 Ti is fine

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 minute ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

You shouldn't buy a 3080 for 1080p anyway, I'd say an RTX 3070 or a 3060 Ti if you want high refresh rate.

What refresh rate is the monitor though?

Here's a link to the monitor, cause I have no clue. And nothing else was in stock, that's why I bought this gpu

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-E248W-19203R-Monitor-Speakers-Metallic/dp/B0773ZY26F/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sceptre&pd_rd_r=9bc25585-dabc-48b3-8d98-c7c3e2453ba5&pd_rd_w=kWs6Y&pd_rd_wg=r5yLE&pf_rd_p=4223292f-5e3e-4e2f-abde-ab59b33e7b79&pf_rd_r=3VPG6HD23RHGA6J59ATW&qid=1611607248&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

1 minute ago, Gorou92 said:

always upgrade the monitor before buying a new gpu especially the 3080

you'll have a more impactful upgrade

I was going to, I haven't even built the thing yet. I'm just going to return the card and wait ig

35 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

It depends on how much you really need it. I got a 1660 SUPER right before the market burned up. I originally wanted to wait till I could afford a better card but im thankful as fuck that I grabbed it now

30 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

It depends on how much you really need it. I got a 1660 SUPER right before the market burned up. I originally wanted to wait till I could afford a better card but im thankful as fuck that I grabbed it now

So basically your saying if I can get it, I should because everything is sold out? And if you play games, which ones and is it good fps?

30 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

So basically your saying if I can get it, I should because everything is sold out? And if you play games, which ones and is it good fps?

Im a gamer for sure lol. I get between 100-200 fps in 90% of my game library. In more recent titles like Fallen Order or Far Cry New Dawn its a bit lower at 70-90. All at max or almost max graphics. my monitor is 27" 1080p 144hz with gsync. Thats often with like Hulu or youtube on the aux monitor which is a 27" 60hz. 

Its not at all top of the line but it does good work, can confirm. 

When I upgraded it was almost out of necessity cuz my old hardware was super old and I wasn't happy with how it was holding up in recent years. (i7 920 & gtx 770 2g). My new build is a HUGE FAT MALE ROOSTER benchmark increase over my old build so I have zero complaints. I had bigger plans but I got laid off then 2020 happened and the market became engulfed in flames and now I could NOT be more thankful that I just went with it. 

1 hour ago, SquiddyButler said:

With that monitor the 1660ti will be MORE than enough. 75hz is like... nothing for your hardware

can you link the card you bought?

1 hour ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

With that monitor the 1660ti will be MORE than enough. 75hz is like... nothing for your hardware

can you link the card you bought?

I returned it because people were saying it wasn't good, but here's the link 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gaming-x-6gb-gddr6-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/6330461.p?skuId=6330461

I returned it because people were saying it wasn't good, but I'm going to re buy it when it comes back in stock so I can at least have a gpu(which means I wouldn't be able to get a better one) Here's the link 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gaming-x-6gb-gddr6-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/6330461.p?skuId=6330461

I mean... its not good compared to a 3080. or even a 2080 for that matter. But your display is capped at 75hz 1080p. 1660ti can do that without breaking a sweat. Unless you have the money to beef up your display there's no real point in holding off for a better GPU that isn't in stock when the one you bought (or rebought I suppose) is already more capable than your display.

3 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

I mean... its not good compared to a 3080. or even a 2080 for that matter. But your display is capped at 75hz 1080p. 1660ti can do that without breaking a sweat. Unless you have the money to beef up your display there's no real point in holding off for a better GPU that isn't in stock when the one you bought (or rebought I suppose) is already more capable than your display.

I was planning on getting a better monitor anyways, do you know of any good ones?

1 hour ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Im a gamer for sure lol. I get between 100-200 fps in 90% of my game library. In more recent titles like Fallen Order or Far Cry New Dawn its a bit lower at 70-90. All at max or almost max graphics. my monitor is 27" 1080p 144hz with gsync. Thats often with like Hulu or youtube on the aux monitor which is a 27" 60hz. 

Its not at all top of the line but it does good work, can confirm. 

When I upgraded it was almost out of necessity cuz my old hardware was super old and I wasn't happy with how it was holding up in recent years. (i7 920 & gtx 770 2g). My new build is a HUGE FAT MALE ROOSTER benchmark increase over my old build so I have zero complaints. I had bigger plans but I got laid off then 2020 happened and the market became engulfed in flames and now I could NOT be more thankful that I just went with it. 

What r ur specs now?

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

I was planning on getting a better monitor anyways, do you know of any good ones?

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSK5W7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's different versions of it, curved, flat, 1080p,1440p, multiple sizes, multiple resolutions. I'll admit I got it when it was one sale around the holidays. more than $100 less than current price lol but its a great display. 

1 minute ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSK5W7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's different versions of it, curved, flat, 1080p,1440p, multiple sizes, multiple resolutions. I'll admit I got it when it was one sale around the holidays. more than $100 less than current price lol but its a great display. 

Thank you a ton for you help

3 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

Benchmarks of the 1660 ti that will show you what kind of performance it's capable of, in both graph and gameplay video form, are readily available. 

If you are a person who doesn't know what refresh rate your monitor is, especially when that information is in the title of the item listing for said monitor, I think you'll be perfectly happy with a 1660 ti and should stop worrying and second-guessing so much. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16