Corsair H100i Platinum or ASUS Tuf LC 240mm for new build?

Kaizer1

Budget (including currency): $300

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 
Hello everyone!

I’m looking for a cooler for my new build (Ryzen 5900x), unfortunately, where I live there aren’t many options so the ones I’ve found are the Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240mm for $300 and the ASUS TUF lc 240mm for $245. I’m wondering if the Corsair is worth the extra money... I understand the ASUS is a bit quieter, but don’t know about keeping temperatures low under heavy loads. I’m also interested in overclocking (maybe not now, but eventually) and how they would perform under those circumstances.

Thank you in advance!

those are extremely high prices for some average coolers.

can you find a good large air cooler like a nh-d15 or nh-d14 or bequiet dark rock pro 4? they should have similar performance for less than half the price.

From those two, they are pretty much the same. After all they do use the Asatek design. Meaning the only real differentiation is fans and looks. If you want a cooler that actually performs good and is about half  the price of those two that you have listed, I would suggest the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm. It also comes in 280mm and 360mm variants. If you have the space, I highly recommend the 280mm variant as it outperforms even most of the 360mm AIOs. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

7 hours ago, boggy77 said:

those are extremely high prices for some average coolers.

can you find a good large air cooler like a nh-d15 or nh-d14 or bequiet dark rock pro 4? they should have similar performance for less than half the price.

I know 😕, unfortunately not many options here, and they’re all quite pricey... there’s a Coolermaster MA410M for $105, but no Noctua’s or Be quiet. I’m inclined towards this Air cooler as well but not sure if it’s enough to keep the 5900x cool under heavy loads. I could try to order through amazon but it would be extremely difficult to get a replacement if the unit comes defective.

7 hours ago, Analog said:

From those two, they are pretty much the same. After all they do use the Asatek design. Meaning the only real differentiation is fans and looks. If you want a cooler that actually performs good and is about half  the price of those two that you have listed, I would suggest the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm. It also comes in 280mm and 360mm variants. If you have the space, I highly recommend the 280mm variant as it outperforms even most of the 360mm AIOs. 

Thanks! Unfortunately very, very few coolers around here, and they are all quite expensive... don’t care much about looks tbh so if they’re pretty much the same I’ll get the Asus one. I have a Corsair 4000d so I don’t think a 280mm would fit, there’s a EVGA clc 360mm that would fit on the front (vertically mounted) but I’ve heard they’re extremely loud.