Crashes with both Phenom II x4 955 and FX 6300 - RAM or PSU error?

fokkertism

I spent three weeks without a computer due to my motherboard shitting itself and ruled out my old PSU (a Corsair TX850) and graphics card as the cause of the problem. I got a working board in, and it boots up fine, but if I play a game (been using Fallout 4 as my test game), it'll crash after about 12 or so minutes. Sometimes, it will crash at the login screen, but other times it'll get into Windows just fine.

I'm wondering if it's the RAM or my current PSU that's the issue.

Here's my specs:

Phenom II x4 955 or FX 6300

HD 7870

16gb G.Skill DDR3 (1600mhz)

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0

Antec VP650P (brand new)

Should also note that I use the stock AMD cooler with my Phenom (the big one with copper and heat pipes) and an aftermarket cooler (Cryorig M9A) with the FX. Neither CPU has been overclocked.

Running HWMonitor and it's showing abnormally high CPU temps of 120 degrees Celsius on some value called "TMPIN2". I now think THAT could be the cause of my woes.

14 minutes ago, fokkertism said:

Running HWMonitor and it's showing abnormally high CPU temps of 120 degrees Celsius on some value called "TMPIN2". I now think THAT could be the cause of my woes.

What motherboard are you using?

3 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

What motherboard are you using?

Should've been clearer in the OP. I'm using an Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0.

20 minutes ago, fokkertism said:

Should've been clearer in the OP. I'm using an Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0.

I definitely think the temps you're seeing are the issue. I would check temps in BIOS as well. Was trying to figure out where sensors are on your board, but the manual has been unhelpful. I would be likely to think is this either the north or south bridge. Could be either in theory if you're gaming, since larger amounts of information go through both.

7 hours ago, Flannelist said:

I definitely think the temps you're seeing are the issue. I would check temps in BIOS as well. Was trying to figure out where sensors are on your board, but the manual has been unhelpful. I would be likely to think is this either the north or south bridge. Could be either in theory if you're gaming, since larger amounts of information go through both.

I don't have any thermal paste at the moment (ran out when swapping the FX out for the Phenom), but I'll probably repaste both the bridges when I get some next week. I used Arctic Silver with the CPU.

Ended up swapping my sound card (a Soundblaster X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty) out for a SB 5.1 VX I had lying around (the sound ports on the motherboard are rooted) and played an hour of Crysis with everything set to high. No crashing problems so far.