PC losing display. Possible short due to uATX motherboard not aligning with standoffs?

LonzoBall

I've read that uATX is the same as mATX but my motherboard doesn't correctly align with the case standoffs. Recently transferred an office pc build to a new case and new PSU but it is losing display (possibly due to motherboard short?) and I have to turn it off by flicking the PSU switch . The motherboard is fully pushed into the IO shield and the standoffs don't quite align. This caused me to fit screws wherever they aligned, and possibly a few where they didn't align perfectly. Am also using miscellaneous motherboard screws, some are twistable thumb screws and some are normal screws. Could these be the cause of the issues? Any solutions or troubleshooting methods? Thanks

Motherboard: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084 (9.6 in x 9.6 in)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 820 using integrated graphics

Case: Lian Li PC-K62 (says it can fit micro ATX)

Don't keep the standoffs in when they don't line up with a screw hole on the motherboard. Remove them from the case.

uATX is the same as mATX, but non standard motherboards from OEM machines won't line up the holes perfectly.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Don't keep the standoffs in when they don't line up with a screw hole on the motherboard. Remove them from the case.

uATX is the same as mATX but non standard motherboards won't line up the holes perfectly.

I'll try that, thank you.Would it be okay to have the motherboard installed with only a few screws? Maybe 3-4

Just now, LonzoBall said:

I'll try that, thank you. Would it be okay to have the motherboard installed with only a few screws? Maybe 3-4

yes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, LonzoBall said:

Are these issues indicative of a motherboard short?

Does the issue go away if the board isn't installed in a case and instead sitting on a non-conductive surface such as cardboard?

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Does the issue go away if the board isn't installed in a case and instead sitting on a non-conductive surface such as cardboard?

Haven't tried running it out of the case but the PC is able to run for hours or until it randomly loses display

7 minutes ago, LonzoBall said:

Haven't tried running it out of the case but the PC is able to run for hours or until it randomly loses display

Could also just be a bad cable or connector.