In the market for a new headset.

AcidElite

So I'm in the market for a new headset. Personally anything under 400 dollars is fine. I need to have a mic. The one I have picked out is the Astro A40. Any other suggestions that meet my criteria would be nice. 

no no, i clean this mess up.

Sennheiser HD558s with a blue snowflake or HD558s with modmic.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Open / Closed? 

Open can be more immersive experience. Closed can give you a more interesting soundstage.   

oops though you were OP my bad. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Sennheiser PC 360, audio-technica ATH-ADG1, and Beyerdynamic MMX 300 are all headsets based on good headphones from real audio companies.

Not everyone wants seperate headphones and mic...... Still A40s arent your best option. Check out the Steelseries 9H

Sennheiser PC 360, audio-technica ATH-ADG1, and Beyerdynamic MMX 300 are all headsets based on good headphones from real audio companies.

Haven't you heard? It's all about the fake audio companies nowadays. I prefer Bakerstatic and Sennloaser.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

Open can be more immersive experience. Closed can give you a more interesting soundstage.   

oops though you were OP my bad. 

I think you mean the other way around.

Closed can be described as "more immersive" because of the isolation a closed pair can provide.

And usually open headphones have a wider soundstage.

For the OP:

For that budget you can get a beefy audio setup (good headphones + condensor mic + mixer/audio interface), and that is what I would do with that budget.

But if you just want the convenience of a headset, see ShearMe's post.

THE signature

snip

If anything it would be a combination of the 2 things that you both said.  Open can be extremely immersive in a quiet room, but in a loud room or public area closed would probably be a better option.

@AcidElite I'd recommend getting what @ShearMe said if you want a headset.

On the other hand, with a 400$ budget, you could get extremely nice headphones + a desktop mic.  Something like sennheiser 598, Dt 990/880, AD900x, he-400's, or something from AKG.  You may be even able to get something even higher end if you were alright with buying used. (I've seen a few headphone sites where you can save quite a bit buying used, near perfect condition used headphones.)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

These are really awesome if you just want a straight forward headset that sounds great with a good mic

Sennheiser 363d

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Performance-Surround-Gaming-Headset/dp/B008O515CK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395396405&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+gaming+headset

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'd recommend the Sennheiser PC 360 or PC 350 depending on if you want an open or closed one. 

Generally, I reccommend open to anyone who doesn't have lots of noise around them, and does not have people around them who gets annoyed by noise, as you'll be sharing the sound with your surroundings. The soundstage really weighs up for that in my opinion though.

Then, there's the regular gamer, who goes to tons of LAN parties. To this guy, I reccommend a closed one, always, as noise leaking both in and out can be a problem in noisy environments.

Okay thanks to everyone who helped. I think I'll be going with Sennheiser PC 360s. But one question do they work with Xbox One as well as PC? (I have both)

Okay thanks to everyone who helped. I think I'll be going with Sennheiser PC 360s. But one question do they work with Xbox One as well as PC? (I have both)

Maybe an unwieldy cable length for controller use, but other than that you should be good.