10850k doesn't hit single core boost, not even close.

During Cinebench r20 run i get only ~490 single boost when it should be ~530 single core. I found it to be because my cpu is doing an all core boost to 4.9 ghz instead of a single core boost to 5.2ghz can someone help me fix this.

while i cant help you with why its still doing an all core boost i can tell you that you can already prepare yourself to never see that 5.2Ghz in real life as intel is usually promising a little too much.

my NAS is running an core i3 10100 which is supposed to boost to 4.3Ghz but it never gets above 4.1Ghz before it hits its powerlimit.

What is your motherboard and cpu cooler? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 minute ago, Analog said:

What is your motherboard and cpu cooler? 

Asus z490-a prime

Be quiet 360mm AIO push pull config

Well if it's doing all cores then it's not going to boost to 5.2. You would have to run a single core test and even then unless cooling is really, really good it usually does not stay there.

image.png.dbf86c789da044791395b2f339b4eff7.png

2 hours ago, Coziestman said:

should be ~530 single core

You are correct. When a 10850K has the multipliers set to their default values, I get 529.

While the test is running, the multiplier varies depending on how many cores are active. If you have a lot of Windows background tasks and crap running on your computer, you will get less turbo boost. I found the multiplier averaging ~51.74 on the core that was loaded.

image.png.5a66345048dab055d1e0402e4dc5825a.png

You can set the Turbo Groups to whatever you like. If you use an All Core turbo setting in the BIOS, it will use the same multiplier no matter how many cores are active. I like being able to change multipliers while in Windows so I use ThrottleStop to control this. I can easily switch between an All Core turbo or a default turbo or any combination of the two. Here are the default settings for the 10850K. As more cores go active, the multiplier decreases.

image.png.c228bed17b7689c57f385c89f0f59816.png 

Here is how a 53 single core turbo looks. The multiplier drops down to 52 when more than 4 cores are active and drops to 50 when all 10 cores are active. These settings give you the full 53 multiplier for the entire R20 single core test and a nice boost in single core performance. These K series CPUs are very flexible. You can set them up so they run however you like.

image.png.98eb9e867a80b8f8fb715401dcdf9f9b.png

image.png.5405779c81e41f03f6cb2493e9909bf3.png

The other trick is to reduce the default CPU voltage. This allows these CPUs to perform better with less power consumption and heat.

5 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

it never gets above 4.1Ghz before it hits its powerlimit.

Raise the turbo power limits. Problem solved.

14 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Raise the turbo power limits. Problem solved.

yea sadly Intel is capping their I3 lineup a lot in terms of these features so this is not possible.

Heck they even locked the RAM to 2666mhz for this CPU.

7 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

Intel is capping their I3 lineup a lot in terms of these features so this is not possible.

The turbo power limit register is in the same location for all Intel CPUs from the 2nd Generation through the 11th Generation. If your BIOS does not give you access to this register, try using software to access it. Run ThrottleStop, press the TPL button and post a screenshot of the window that pops up.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-9-2-9.276365/

It is possible that the BIOS has locked this register but it is also possible that this register can still be accessed and it has been left wide open.