First time....need some advise and help

Sunny Ashveen

I just needed some advice on using two of the same graphics card that is Sapphire Radeon R7 250 4GB GDDR3 with amd crossfire if possible bcuz I can't even record minecraft using obs and also can't render my animations properly without any texture and shading errors. plus my country even has gtx 1650 to rtx 2070 out of stock....so building a new build is quite impossible as it will go out my budget than previously calculated dream build even after it restocks....

I'm using (Asus Maximus IV gene-z/gen3) motherboard, 8gb of kingston hyperx ddr3 1600mhz ram, a I3 3570 quad core 3.4ghz - 3.8ghz max boost procesor and a single Sapphire Radeon R7 250 4GB GDDR3 graphics card...

thanks to anyone who can help me...I'm really slow for uploading on my youtube channel ( https://youtube.com/channel/UCp8n70JMBN_DLFZ5xoucY6A ) and the only games I get to record is 90s doom game...lol

According to the AMD specification the Radeon R7 250 doesn't seem to be Crossfire capable. Also using crossfire or SLI for two low end cards is never a good idea. You would be much better off just upgrading to something a bit more modern. Even something like a GT 1030 GDDR5 2GB, which is an entry level card will perform a lot better in comparison to a R7 250. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The R7 250 used to be crossfire capable I don't know if AMD dropped support as I can't find a current compatibility listing.

Their how to's do show the possibility of them working.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-018#faq-AMD-CrossFire™-Requirements

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-018

But as I said I can't find the compatability listing to confirm.

38 minutes ago, Analog said:

According to the AMD specification the Radeon R7 250 doesn't seem to be Crossfire capable. Also using crossfire or SLI for two low end cards is never a good idea. You would be much better off just upgrading to something a bit more modern. Even something like a GT 1030 GDDR5 2GB, which is an entry level card will perform a lot better in comparison to a R7 250. 

Thanks....I hoped I could do that but I think the r7 250 with 4gb vram might be better than gt 1030...but I'm not sure about that bcuz most gpu are out of stock even rx 570 even if there is, they are very expensive than usual plus there's no ebay at where I live...but thanks.... another problem I face is it is so difficult to find product info for my gpu bcuz the most common r7 250 are 2gb....

13 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

SLI or Crossfire are not worth it nowadays as it's barely supported in newer games, doesn't scale well, both Nvidia and AMD are slowing ditching them and it's going to be completely irrelevant in couple of years with even high end GPUs and it already started dying many years ago, Nvidia also stopped updating game profiles for SLI since this month in newer drivers releases so near future it's going to be a completely dead even at flagship grade like 2080 ti or 3090 and single GPUs setup are going to capture the whole market. With GDDR3 that decent amount of 4gb vram and your GPU's overall horsepower is a complete waste anyway even as a single GPU.

I think you're right, it might not be worth it. One day when gpu and computer hardware are in stock and gets cheaper I will build a new system...till now I will stick with what I have and just continue recording things that its capable of....anyway thanks for the advise.

28 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

The R7 250 used to be crossfire capable I don't know if AMD dropped support as I can't find a current compatibility listing.

Their how to's do show the possibility of them working.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-018#faq-AMD-CrossFire™-Requirements

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-018

But as I said I can't find the compatability listing to confirm.

Never mind, thanks for spending time to help me. I really appreciate it ☺️.

1 hour ago, Sunny Ashveen said:

Thanks....I hoped I could do that but I think the r7 250 with 4gb vram might be better than gt 1030...but I'm not sure about that bcuz most gpu are out of stock even rx 570 even if there is, they are very expensive than usual plus there's no ebay at where I live...but thanks.... another problem I face is it is so difficult to find product info for my gpu bcuz the most common r7 250 are 2gb....

The amount of VRAM isn't everything. In fact it means very little. The R7 250 is  much slower than a GT 1030.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

On 1/26/2021 at 12:48 AM, Analog said:

The amount of VRAM isn't everything. In fact it means very little. The R7 250 is  much slower than a GT 1030.

thanks...but due to some financial problem with my parents out of stock for most of gpu's and also with irrelevent and out of mind price of th gpus avalaible...guess i have to stick with it for a long time...gonna expect less variety of youtube videos on my channel i guess...