Why do people dislike Microsoft's implementation of HDR into Windows 10?

yeetgod

I have the LG 86" Class Nano 9 Series TV, with HDR. I sometimes bring down my gaming PC to use on it and I use the HDR option since the monitor its usually hooked up to does not support HDR. Linus often complains about the windows implementation of HDR, but as far as I can tell he hasn't yet explained why it's so bad and I haven't been able to use it enough to see its issues. 

I'm more confused over how and when it even works. Is it enough to just have it enabled in Windows and have graphic card and monitor that supports it or do games have to explicitly support it. I know video content has to, but that has to be pre-recorded that way, games do not, but I'm guessing it needs some sort of support in the engine.

I can't really tell a difference to be honest except I got some banding in certain videos. Granted, I do have a monitor with only HDR 400 so that's probably a reason.

Because if you enabled HDR in Windows, all SDR content (which is most of what you usually see) looks like washed out crap, including Windows' own UI.

Another reason may be that people think they have "HDR" monitors, but they're not really HDR, even if the option is available in Windows.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm more confused over how and when it even works. Is it enough to just have it enabled in Windows and have graphic card and monitor that supports it or do games have to explicitly support it. I know video content has to, but that has to be pre-recorded that way, games do not, but I'm guessing it needs some sort of support in the engine.

I can't really tell a difference to be honest except I got some banding in certain videos. Granted, I do have a monitor with only HDR 400 so that's probably a reason.

Games need to support it, and there needs to be a toggle for that in options. You can have HDR disabled in Windows, but enabled in a specific game in its settings, so when you launch a game the monitor should go black for a moment and then turn back on with HDR enabled. It's only annoying when you alt+tab often, because it's going to do it every time AFAIK.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv