Change OS Installation Location or Change OS Drive Letter (windows 10)

handsomecat

i want to make C drive as a normal drive and os drive to be D, E drive or else

so when i install some untrusted applications or an anti cheat for a video game, i will know what it installs into C drive

even i install an application to non C drive, the application still also make some files into C drive

how to change os installation location or change its drive letter?

thank you

C usually means windows installation drive, even if you manage to change it, windows and all other applications will know that and you problem will not be solved.

So that is not your solution, describe better that you want to do. 

17 minutes ago, handsomecat said:

i want to make C drive as a normal drive and os drive to be D, E drive or else

so when i install some untrusted applications or an anti cheat for a video game, i will know what it installs into C drive

even i install an application to non C drive, the application still also make some files into C drive

how to change os installation location or change its drive letter?

thank you

This doesn't make much sense. Say you change the drive letter of the primary boot drive to something else, and install apps on another drive, the application that is installed on whatever other drive will still have files written to the primary OS drive regardless of the letter. If you don't want to corrupt your main OS by installing untrustworthy apps, either don't install these in the first place or dual boot your computer, meaning have two OS installs on on two separate drives. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I don't think you can.

And if you could, it would definitely break any program that assumes the os drive is c.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

What exactly you are trying to achieve with this? If you have small boot drive, easiest way to go is to manualle change drive letter when you are installing software to other drives. OS drive will still need some files, mainly configuration and profile related, and some temp files. You can't get over that fact with (almost) any change you happen to make.

I say almost as you could go with symbolic links and make Windows think folders are on boot drive when they are on other drive. But I would advice against such. Because if you need to repair installation at any point, that will mess up those symbolic links and be whole another mess altogether.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv