Throttle stop and sleep states

Got a dell t5810 with an unlocked e5-1650v3 cpu. Overclocks great with throttle stop. However I have to power the pc on and then put it to sleep and wake it once or twice before my multiplier is unlocked. Sometimes I can even get intel xtu to completely unlock which is interesting. However on a restart everything is reset and requires me waking from sleep again. I know it's an oem motherboard but does anyone have a direction I can go so when windows boots my overclock is on? I'm on the latest bios and would not be opposed to changing anything in the bios including modding it if need be.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-9-2-9.276365/

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. Include the main screen and the FIVR and TPL windows. Be careful when using both ThrottleStop and Intel XTU together. Having two different programs writing different information to the same CPU registers might cause inconsistency with how the CPU is setup.

Some Dell workstations lock some of the important registers when you first boot up. The only way to unlock these registers is by doing a sleep resume cycle. This trick takes advantage of a bug in the BIOS where it forgets to set the lock bit when it resumes from sleep. That is probably what is going on.

With an OEM board with limited BIOS option, there is no way around this issue.

Ok I'll post some pictures tonight when I'm home. If what you say is right about the sleep resume then I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Also I've only used ts or xtu independently. I'm always curious if I can get xtu to do something on an oem board. This is the first time I've actually seen it unlocked but it was short lived. Rebooting proved that I couldn't do a sleep resume to unlock it where as ts worked.

ok so fresh boot you can see that previously I had settings changed that I couldn't use. After a sleep/wake cycle I could change all settings. However max turbo boost all core was stuck to 3.8 which is stock for the chip. After restarting ThrottleStop I am no able to actually use whatever overclock I want.  

AfterFirstSleepCycleFIVR.JPG

AfterFirstSleepCycleTPL.JPG

AfterFirstSleepWakeCycleMain.JPG

AfterSleepWakeCycleAndThottleStopRestartMain.JPG

BeforeSleepWakeCycleFIVR.JPG

BeforeSleepWakeCycleMain.JPG

BeforeSleepWakeCycleTPL.JPG

1 hour ago, frankr2994 said:

After a sleep/wake cycle I could change all settings.

This happens to a few different computers, desktop and laptops. Registers that are locked magically become unlocked after a sleep resume cycle. I am not sure if the BIOS guys "accidentally" left this back door open on purpose. I do not think there is any way to unlock your CPU without doing one of these sleep resume cycles. 

Try checking the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. I would also check the Set Multiplier option. Setting these options might not make any difference. If the BIOS sets your CPU up correctly, these options will not not be necessary.

1 hour ago, frankr2994 said:

After restarting ThrottleStop I am no able to actually use whatever overclock I want. 

I assume you meant to say, I am now able to....

Correct I did mean now able to. I have noticed while playing with different clock speeds I need to check the set multiplier box in order for it to take effect. I can then uncheck it and it will continue to work fine. Ultimately I'm happy. Since I got the procedure right it's no big deal to put it to sleep for a second at start up. And once I find a nice stable clock setting I'll have that profile saved. I really do appreciate you and your software it's really amazing. Turns this now "cheap" Dell workstation into one hell of a machine. I now just need to find out if I can control the cpu fan speed for this Dell. It doesn't really ramp up until 81C and I can tell it's still not at full speed. 

@frankr2994 For older CPUs that do not use Speed Shift Technology, it is usually best to just leave Set Multiplier checked. That way the register that controls the CPU speed will always have the value that you have requested. Better consistency when this is left checked.

• 2 years later...
On 1/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, frankr2994 said:

Got a dell t5810 with an unlocked e5-1650v3 cpu. Overclocks great with throttle stop. However I have to power the pc on and then put it to sleep and wake it once or twice before my multiplier is unlocked. Sometimes I can even get intel xtu to completely unlock which is interesting. However on a restart everything is reset and requires me waking from sleep again. I know it's an oem motherboard but does anyone have a direction I can go so when windows boots my overclock is on? I'm on the latest bios and would not be opposed to changing anything in the bios including modding it if need be.

Hi Frank. My t5810 successfully goes to sleep, but when I try to wake it up, theres no video output, and the keyboard flashes for a second before turning off again. Ive provided more details on this issue in a private messege to your profile on dell forums.