Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fan controller causing fans to go bad?

thunderdog512

I just bought a new fan last night to replace one that had a whining/grinding noise. When I put it in and had it set up it started doing it again. Could it be my fan controller? I have the NZXT sentry mesh fan controller and Corsair quiet edition fans. When I first got them they all ran quiet but about a month/ month and a half ago they started making the sounds. I'm thinking about just getting all new fans (Noctuas) and a new fan controller. I have no idea what the problem is.

If anyone can give me some insight that would be great.

Get gentle typhoons if you have the option, noctuas really aren't that great. They're extremely over-hyped.

Also there's rumours about quiet editions having a motor noise at lower RPM, I was under the assumption they fixed it, but I guess not.

It could also be your fan controller, do they do it when plugged into the motherboard?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Also there's rumours about quiet editions having a motor noise at lower RPM, I was under the assumption they fixed it, but I guess not.

Theyre deaf at Corsair so no.

It shouldn't. Are you running them at 12v and are they PWM?

I'm not sure what I am running them at. How can I tell? and no 3 pin.

Get gentle typhoons if you have the option, noctuas really aren't that great. They're extremely over-hyped.

It could also be your fan controller, do they do it when plugged into the motherboard?

They look like good fans but I need 140's and it seemed like those were only 120's. Interesting, I hadn't heard that. I would think so. They only do it at low RPM and since they are 3 pins they will run at full speed on my motherboard anyway.

What happens if you connect them to mobo or PSU instead of fan controller?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv