Is there any R7 240 openCL runtime drivers for Ubuntu 20.10

zhangtianli
Go to solution Solved by zhangtianli,

Well, I've just reinstalled my OS, and now everything is aok.

I have a R7 240, I wanted to run BOINC, but I can't find any OpenCL runtime support for this graphics card.

My OS is Ubuntu 20.10 with Linux Kernel 5.11.0 rc4.

System log show this

radeon 0000:01:00.0: failed VCE resume (-110).

on start up.

I've installed Windows7 on this machine, and it works, it shows OpenCL 1.2.

I searched through AMD's official suport site, and none of them supports Ubuntu20.10.
What's more, neither the drivers supports Ubuntu 20.04 but NOT for R7, nor it only supports Ubuntu 18.04.

I've tried to install the drivers for 18.04, and dpkg said that it only supports ubuntu18, and stopped the installation.

I've also tried to install the driver for  20.04 and it just shows compile errors and dies.

How can I solve this problem??

42 minutes ago, zhangtianli said:

How can I solve this problem??

If you're using the default, open-source driver, installing mesa-opencl-icd should be enough. You can install clinfo to verify it's working.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I've just installed mesa-opencl-icd, but when I run clinfo, it shows

amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
[1]    30735 segmentation fault (core dumped)  clinfo

1 hour ago, zhangtianli said:

I've just installed mesa-opencl-icd, but when I run clinfo, it shows

[1]    30735 segmentation fault (core dumped)  clinfo

I would assume that is because you're not using the official kernel of 20.10. Also, quote people so they get a notification, if you reply to them.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Use the kernel that comes with the distro by default.

I did, now it's

Linux version 5.8.0-40-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-013) (gcc (Ubuntu 10.2.0-13ubuntu1) 10.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.35.1) #45-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 15 11:05:36 UTC 2021

it's the original kernel, but it still shows

[1]    7154 segmentation fault (core dumped)  clinfo

Just now, zhangtianli said:

I did, now it's

Linux version 5.8.0-40-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-013) (gcc (Ubuntu 10.2.0-13ubuntu1) 10.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.35.1) #45-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 15 11:05:36 UTC 2021

it's the original kernel, but it still shows

[1]    7154 segmentation fault (core dumped)  clinfo

Well, I don't know what's going on. Have you installed other stuff from PPAs or similar, instead of the official repos? You've got some sort of a mismatch going on.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, I don't know what's going on. Have you installed other stuff from PPAs or similar, instead of the official repos? You've got some sort of a mismatch going on.

emm, I did installed https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers during my previous attempts

and https://launchpad.net/~darxus/+archive/ubuntu/linux-firmware-amdgpu-daily as well

3 minutes ago, zhangtianli said:

I guess you've fucked up something by installing those. I have an R7 240 and while I haven't tried it with Ubuntu 20.10, all I needed on Ubuntu 20.04 to enable opencl was install mesa-opencl-icd. Nothing else was needed.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I guess you've fucked up something by installing those. I have an R7 240 and while I haven't tried it with Ubuntu 20.10, all I needed on Ubuntu 20.04 to enable opencl was install mesa-opencl-icd. Nothing else was needed.

Well that's a bad news, I should have asked before doing it

Well, I've just reinstalled my OS, and now everything is aok.