If I do this can I give more frequency to my GPU?

DanWhite

Hello! I'll be quick with what I want to ask.

I have an old Dell Precision m6600 (mobile workstation) if I limit the CPU frequency to 2.5Ghz (the base clock speed without turbo boost, so it uses less power) could I hypothetically increase the frequency of the GPU(Quadro 3000m) without trouble?

I don't think I'll be doing this anyway but I'm curious to see what you guy can say about this. That's it

NOTE: It said the max power consumtion from the CPU were 33,9 W at 95,1% usage (at 2.5Ghz) (gathered by Open Hardware Monitor)

Assuming the laptop allowed overclocking, maybe. It would depend on if the CPU and GPU share a cooling setup, or if they separate. 

Just leave it as is. Overclocking a laptop is in general a stupid idea. Most are running near max power and max thermals. That and this system is already quite old so I'd not stress it out for what would be a very very small performance increase.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Just leave it as is. Overclocking a laptop is in general a stupid idea. Most are running near max power and max thermals. That and this system is already quite old so I'd not stress it out for what would be a very very small performance increase.

This isnt always true. some laptop models have multiple options for cpus and gpus. So there may be a diffrence is power amount.  My athlon 64 tf-20 was able to almost double in perf, and the HD3200 in it was able to oc to the max. 

Got Portal running on that thing at 30fps on 1080p low.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Assuming the laptop allowed overclocking, maybe. It would depend on if the CPU and GPU share a cooling setup, or if they separate. 

MSI afterburner lets me overclock the gpu a bit

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This isnt always true. some laptop models have multiple options for cpus and gpus. So there may be a diffrence is power amount.  My athlon 64 tf-20 was able to almost double in perf, and the HD3200 in it was able to oc to the max. 

Got Portal running on that thing at 30fps on 1080p low.

Yeah I know it's just that it's always harder and far easier to mess up badly on a laptop. The 6600m does come in a higher end config so it should be fine as long as the cooling solution can keep up. If they want they can go for it but don't expect too much out of it. A hd3200 was known to be super easy to oc like other older low end cards.

15 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Hello! I'll be quick with what I want to ask.

I have an old Dell Precision m6600 (mobile workstation) if I limit the CPU frequency to 2.5Ghz (the base clock speed without turbo boost, so it uses less power) could I hypothetically increase the frequency of the GPU(Quadro 3000m) without trouble?

I don't think I'll be doing this anyway but I'm curious to see what you guy can say about this. That's it

NOTE: It said the max power consumtion from the CPU were 33,9 W at 95,1% usage (at 2.5Ghz) (gathered by Open Hardware Monitor)

Your laptop should have a beefy 240 Watt power brick, that is well above what you could ever need. 

Remember to replace the thermal paste before doing any OC. I have seen the card go up to 700 and 750 on the core and 1500 to 1900 on memory, without reducing the cpu clock speed.

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Your laptop should have a beefy 240 Watt power brick, that is well above what you could ever need. 

Remember to replace the thermal paste before doing any OC. I have seen the card go up to 700 and 750 on the core and 1500 to 1900 on memory, without reducing the cpu clock speed.

Where does it says that my brick has 240 watt? (in the sticker that it has) it says a bunch of things but not sure where does it says if it has 240 watt or no

3 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Where does it says that my brick has 240 watt? (in the sticker that it has) it says a bunch of think but not sure where does it says if it has 240 watt or no

Read the label on the power brick. It should have a DC output section.

It should read: Output 19.5V, 12.3A, 240W

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Lots of the adaptors don't have the last part, and just show volts and amps.

So if it's a replacement charger, it may not have it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I have a m6600 with a 3000m. I can crank my gpu clock to the max msi afterburner allows without touching the cpu limits. Thermals aren't really a limit as the 3000m is the low end card for the laptop.

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Well you can always multiply 19.5V  x 12.3A = 239.85W

26 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

it says Output: 19.5V---12.3A - o + is it good? 

24 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Well you can always multiply 19.5V  x 12.3A = 239.85W

36 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

9 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

it says Output: 19.5V---12.3A - o + is it good? 

Yes

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Yes

I just applied the overclock that msi afterburner lets me do to the core clock and memory clock and it boosted the FPS in league of legends (max settings) from around 85 to around 110

58 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have a m6600 with a 3000m. I can crank my gpu clock to the max msi afterburner allows without touching the cpu limits. Thermals aren't really a limit as the 3000m is the low end card for the laptop.

do you know which is the max temperature this GPU can be totally fine with?

Just now, DanWhite said:

do you know which is the max temperature this GPU can be totally fine with?

They should be the same as the other fermi gpus, so around 90-95c max

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Alright thanks

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if the CPU grids (where the hot air goes out) is very hot to the touch because the grids are covered with dust, could it damage something if I don't clean it and leave it get really hot? or its not problem as long as the CPU temp is fine

2 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

if the CPU grids (where the hot air goes out) is very hot to the touch because the grids are covered with dust, could it damage something if I don't clean it and leave it get really hot? or its not problem as long as the CPU temp is fine

Probably not.

Also what is hot to your hand(like 50c) isn't that hot to cpus and most other parts in a computer.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably not.

Also what is hot to your hand(like 50c) isn't that hot to cpus and most other parts in a computer.

Probably not what?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably not.

Did you understood what i said?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea. Clean it if you can, but if temps are fine, it should damange it

It should??

Just now, DanWhite said:

It should??

shoudln't. OOPS

But there already 10 year old laptops now, so probalby don't have that much longer to go.