Have I missed anything out AMDGPU vs Kernel 5.8 Issues? Pop 20.10

TLDR - I used to own a R9 290 (Sea Islands, GCN2) and couldnt get the Os to boot using the AMDGPU driver so that I could use Vulkan & DXVK, due to the reason the Kernel I have installed (5.8) and the AMD drivers only currently supporting up to Kernel 5.4.

Im now using a R9 280 (Volcanic Islands, GCN1) and thought I`d give this another go and try to install Vulkan and get the AMDGPU driver running instead of Radeon.  Ive had mixed results.

I have managed to get Vulkan & DVVK installed and working 99%   .... The last 1% being some game I cannot run from steam or lutirs that tell me I need DX11 installed of which I thought DXVK was for, so Im confused.

vulkaninfo give 3 errors of what I am attributing to the issue with the Amd drivers not supporting Kernel 5.8

ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_lvp.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

In the rest of the readout it also advises that its using the GPU id = 0 (llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1, 256 bits)) and not my R9 280 and im a little confused about this too.  

lsmod | grep amdgpu  also confirms this with -

deviceType     = PHYSICAL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU
deviceName     = llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1, 256 bits)

In regards to the AMDGPU driver I have tried ...

Blacklisting

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add the following line: blacklist radeon.

Run sudo update-initramfs -u

Editing the grub

xhost +si:localuser:root; sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Change the line to the following:

Change the line to the following: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1  

( there is lots of conflicting guides on which one to switch on for my card and ive read that its in-between Sea Islands & Southern Islands, but .cik is the one to use?)

sudo update-grub + reboot

Adding these lines to the /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

options amdgpu si_support=0
options amdgpu cik_support=1

All of this had always resulted in either a black screen upon boot .. it just will not use AMDGPU 😞

I even tried updating the Kernel ( I think 🤔) with the HWE stack, but it made no difference.

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge

So in essence this time I have managed to get DXVK & Vulkan installed, but I still cannot use it properly ( I think from lots of reading ) due to the AMD drivers not supporting the Kernel I have installed.

The easy option is to re-installed 20.04 and dont update the Kernel and according to the guides, I should be ok and this will work. However I coming to the conclusion that if Im going to re-install again, maybe I should just bite the bullet and Install Manjaro n go for the more stable setup as I can only envisage these problems returning if I stick with Gnome?  Apart from Gnome being modelled off Debian and Manjaro being modelled from Arch .... I really cant find a simple explanation on how they differ under the hood.  I know there is no guarantee that I will beable to get AMDGPU working with this card using Manjaro but Im up for the challenge/learning experience, but at the same time, I know more about Pop/Gnome n how it works compared to Manjaro/Arch n that keeps holding me back.

I thought I`d run this past u peeps 1st just to see if there is anything I have missed out trying considering Ive actually managed to get Vulkan & DXVK installed this time before I head off on a new journey / head-ache again 😇

6 minutes ago, GCandy77 said:

TLDR - I used to own a R9 290 (Sea Islands, GCN2) and couldnt get the Os to boot using the AMDGPU driver so that I could use Vulkan & DXVK, due to the reason the Kernel I have installed (5.8) and the AMD drivers only currently supporting up to Kernel 5.4.

Im now using a R9 280 (Volcanic Islands, GCN1) and thought I`d give this another go and try to install Vulkan and get the AMDGPU driver running instead of Radeon.  Ive had mixed results.

I have managed to get Vulkan & DVVK installed and working 99%   .... The last 1% being some game I cannot run from steam or lutirs that tell me I need DX11 installed of which I thought DXVK was for, so Im confused.

vulkaninfo give 3 errors of what I am attributing to the issue with the Amd drivers not supporting Kernel 5.8

ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_lvp.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

In the rest of the readout it also advises that its using the GPU id = 0 (llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1, 256 bits)) and not my R9 280 and im a little confused about this too.  

lsmod | grep amdgpu  also confirms this with -

deviceType     = PHYSICAL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU
deviceName     = llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1, 256 bits)

In regards to the AMDGPU driver I have tried ...

Blacklisting

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add the following line: blacklist radeon.

Run sudo update-initramfs -u

Editing the grub

xhost +si:localuser:root; sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Change the line to the following:

Change the line to the following: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1  

( there is lots of conflicting guides on which one to switch on for my card and ive read that its in-between Sea Islands & Southern Islands, but .cik is the one to use?)

sudo update-grub + reboot

Adding these lines to the /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

options amdgpu si_support=0
options amdgpu cik_support=1

All of this had always resulted in either a black screen upon boot .. it just will not use AMDGPU 😞

I even tried updating the Kernel ( I think 🤔) with the HWE stack, but it made no difference.

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge

So in essence this time I have managed to get DXVK & Vulkan installed, but I still cannot use it properly ( I think from lots of reading ) due to the AMD drivers not supporting the Kernel I have installed.

The easy option is to re-installed 20.04 and dont update the Kernel and according to the guides, I should be ok and this will work. However I coming to the conclusion that if Im going to re-install again, maybe I should just bite the bullet and Install Manjaro n go for the more stable setup as I can only envisage these problems returning if I stick with Gnome?  Apart from Gnome being modelled off Debian and Manjaro being modelled from Arch .... I really cant find a simple explanation on how they differ under the hood.  I know there is no guarantee that I will beable to get AMDGPU working with this card using Manjaro but Im up for the challenge/learning experience, but at the same time, I know more about Pop/Gnome n how it works compared to Manjaro/Arch n that keeps holding me back.

I thought I`d run this past u peeps 1st just to see if there is anything I have missed out trying considering Ive actually managed to get Vulkan & DXVK installed this time before I head off on a new journey / head-ache again 😇

5.4 is the LTS kernel aka the stable one if you will. I would generally avoid using the latest kernel unless it has something in it you need like support for faster networking etc. If you were to compare kernels, you may be able to compile a new one and modify it to allow the driver to work. Unfortunately I cannot guide you through that process myself. I usually take things out to make the system more efficient. I have a 280 card in my Linux Mint 20.1 machine, running the 5.4 kernel. I must admit I have not done much gaming on it as it is mostly a backup file server but the drivers work fine for me. 

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

I have a 280 card in my Linux Mint 20.1 machine

tbh amd gpu's have been pretty off and on for the last few years

10 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

tbh amd gpu's have been pretty off and on for the last few years

Sad but true.

Just now, Applefreak said:

Sad but true.

gcn 4.0 gpu's were generally the go to (mostly the rx 580), but it wouldnt surprise me if it shifted towards a rdna 2 gpu, you know something like a rx 6500xt.. when next gen gpu's are no longer seen as mythical artefacts..

39 minutes ago, GCandy77 said:

i only read up to here, because wtf are you on about lol, i use a 290X with AMDGPU on kernel 5.10 🤣

She/Her

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

5.4 is the LTS kernel aka the stable one if you will. I would generally avoid using the latest kernel unless it has something in it you need like support for faster networking etc. If you were to compare kernels, you may be able to compile a new one and modify it to allow the driver to work. Unfortunately I cannot guide you through that process myself. I usually take things out to make the system more efficient. I have a 280 card in my Linux Mint 20.1 machine, running the 5.4 kernel. I must admit I have not done much gaming on it as it is mostly a backup file server but the drivers work fine for me. 

Yeh .. Im slowly learning all this stuff and allowed the 5.8 update to go thru before understanding what it really did compared to the LTS

Its good to know that its working ok for you using 5.4 tho

Ashley xD - Im still quite new to linux and rely on guides to try and resolve issues  ... I cant get it working so my face it a ☹️ instead of a 🤣 .. If you can point anything out to help then it would be appreciated.

Update -

I Updated the kernel to "5.10.9-051009-generic" using this guide https://sypalo.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu

followed my original steps to blacklist and setup grub & it still doesn't work.

uname -r
5.10.9-051009-generic

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Pop
Description:    Pop!_OS 20.10
Release:    20.10
Codename:    groovy

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.9-051009-generic, LLVM 10.0.0)

another page suggested I try this

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME