This PC Used To Be IMPOSSIBLE!

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Pretty broad brush stroke with that title

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Pretty broad brush stroke with that title

Yeah well it's being uploaded to a platform that has a pretty annoying way of making videos profitable.

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Now we just wait on a 128-core Threadripper.

Maybe a 5999X or something.

Everything comes down from the respective server line-ups. Right now EPYC Gen 3 code name Milan is still advertising a maximum of 64 cores so until we see 128 in the server space you'll never see it on the desktop.

This is perverse and should not exist before even a plain old boxed  Ryzen 5000 APU's.   Hell can't even find a Ryzen 3400G for love or money.   

That said... I could see a system like this being good for someone who wants to have their own cloud server for their own website, their own web apps, and not rely on big tech.  That may sound ridiculous but I can see a day coming where ordinary people might just want to have their own server rack for all that stuff.  It'll be an appliance like the water heater or furnace in the home.  Not saying most people will build these things...but I can see a day when having such a computer in the home in the place of say OneDrive would be common. 

All it would take is for say ... Facebook to loose all or a large part of all the photos and videos people have entrusted to them.    

Here's who could want it with a Quadro as a desktop solution ME. 

My ideal desktop computer would be able to run virtualized Windows and Linux apps at the same time with GPU acceleration on all of it.  I think a Quadro supports SR-IOV.  In such a way that one could be running a hard core AAA game and also simulate the Big Bang or a black hole -black hole collision at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Hell can't even find a Ryzen 3400G for love or money.

Really? I just bought one yesterday online for a build I'm doing for a friend...

The price probably wasn't representative of MSRP but they had stock.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Really? I just bought one yesterday online for a build I'm doing for a friend...

The price probably wasn't representative of MSRP but they had stock.

Lets see it arrive first.     One can find one on Amazon for delivery between Feb 9-25th.  Which really sounds like a listing for something someone else ordered that they may not actually have.  Sure I can sell a Ryzen 3400G for delivery in March.... give me $500. 

It's like selling Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice futures or something. 

Oh nooo not a gaming rig with a server chip? That has NEVER been DONE BEFORE!!11!1!

Do us all a service and send the board to Wendell so we can have an actually interesting video.

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Lets see it arrive first.     One can find one on Amazon for delivery between Feb 9-25th.  Which really sounds like a listing for something someone else ordered that they may not actually have.  Sure I can sell a Ryzen 3400G for delivery in March.... give me $500. 

I will have to follow up with you on that. I can't tell you either way weather it will go fine or end up how you say.

Just now, dbx10 said:

Oh nooo not a gaming rig with a server chip? That has NEVER been DONE BEFORE!!11!1!

Do us all a service and send the board to Wendell so we can have an actually interesting video.

He'd put Qubes OS on it and demonstrate the most secure possible OS there is.  Virtualization and compartmentalizing every function. 

Just now, dbx10 said:

Virtual machines, on-top of virtual machines, on-top of VFIO, on-top of Linux, on-top of hardware pass-through, on-top of Tesla V100's, on-top o-OK, I'll stop. 😆

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I will have to follow up with you on that. I can't tell you either way weather it will go fine or end up how you say.

I hope they are able to full fill the contract.  That's how you have to look at component buying.  When people say they cannot get a chip or card now ...it is all about finding it in stock, in store, and being able to walk out with product in hand.  Then also confirm that it is an authentic working component.  

I know LTT has like one of everything and assembles them in ways that God never intended.  Like this abomination of a computer.  It would just be nice if it was more than aspirationally possible to any APU or CPU without having to buy a pre-built and take the chip from it. 

4 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

He'd put Qubes OS on it and demonstrate the most secure possible OS there is.  Virtualization and compartmentalizing every function. 

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Virtual machines, on-top of virtual machines, on-top of VFIO, on-top of Linux, on-top of hardware pass-through, on-top of Tesla V100's, on-top o-OK, I'll stop. 😆

Either of those would still be far more interesting than watching someone put screws in while talking about itx boards for servers and then adding BUT HOW WILL IT RUN DOOM ETERNAL OMG

Pretty annoying when I can skip an LTT video entirely by just giving a 30 second read to a product description page on newegg

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I hope they are able to full fill the contract.  That's how you have to look at component buying.  When people say they cannot get a chip or card now ...it is all about finding it in stock, in store, and being able to walk out with product in hand.  Then also confirm that it is an authentic working component.  

I know LTT has like one of everything and assembles them in ways that God never intended.  Like this abomination of a computer.  It would just be nice if it was more than aspirationally possible to any APU or CPU without having to buy a pre-built and take the chip from it. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We will see in the coming days. If a week passes and it hasn't shipped I'll know something's up.

Thoughts of buying pre-builds to get hardware I can't get off the shelf at this time has crossed my mind but I know I have no means of flipping the rest of the equipment to make up the wasted cash so I immediately abandoned that idea.

4 minutes ago, dbx10 said:

Either of those would still be far more interesting than watching someone put screws in while talking about itx boards for servers and then adding BUT HOW WILL IT RUN DOOM ETERNAL OMG

Pretty annoying when I can skip an LTT video entirely by just giving a 30 second read to a product description page on newegg

Not gonna lie. Not the first server "gaming PC" build LMG has done. This is probably the 7th or more they've done over the years. Obviously the boost clock of the CPU will be the bottleneck here and the other 56-ish cores will not be doing a whole heck of a lot.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Not gonna lie. Not the first server "gaming PC" build LMG has done. This is probably the 7th or more they've done over the years. Obviously the boost clock of the CPU will be the bottleneck here and the other 56-ish cores will not be doing a whole heck of a lot.

Yea they did the exact same video with 1st gen threadripper a couple years back and the result was just as predictable. I haven't watched the video and I don't think I need to. It's the same video, but this time in a tiny box. 

Kinda boring.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We will see in the coming days. If a week passes and it hasn't shipped I'll know something's up.

Thoughts of buying pre-builds to get hardware I can't get off the shelf at this time has crossed my mind but I know I have no means of flipping the rest of the equipment to make up the wasted cash so I immediately abandoned that idea.

Here's a thought. 

Buying a pre built with a Ryzen 4000 APU then swapping the Ryzen 3000 APU for it.    Then using the  pre built with a downgraded processor for some other task.  What I have thought of is buying a pre built an modding the case into a dual system case.  Having a mini ITX board means that is possible. 

4 minutes ago, dbx10 said:

Yea they did the exact same video with 1st gen threadripper a couple years back and the result was just as predictable. I haven't watched the video and I don't think I need to. It's the same video, but this time in a tiny box. 

Kinda boring.

Eh, I'm a server hardware enthusiast. Even if I'm not that into the premise of the video I'm still in it to see the new hardware companies like ASRock Rack, AMD, and Micron are pushing out. I like the mini-PCI_e x8 connectors on that board. That way not all of those 128 PCI_e lanes are going to waste on a single x16 slot. You could use something like this and put it into a 4U server with like 6 GPU's. It'd be an amazing compute server or multi-client workstation server.

5 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Here's a thought. 

Buying a pre built with a Ryzen 4000 APU then swapping the Ryzen 3000 APU for it.    Then using the  pre built with a downgraded processor for some other task.  What I have thought of is buying a pre built an modding the case into a dual system case.  Having a mini ITX board means that is possible. 

Isn't the whole Ryzen 4000 series mobile chips (laptop & such)? I could be mistaken about that. I didn't exactly research it myself.

And I could always put the extra box to work for something like BOINC but I have other projects I'd like to put my cash towards. I still can't justify it.

Finally get to see the actual board instead of just the drawing of it

image.thumb.png.4fa63e5f32035dafc54219843874d08b.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

10K+ price tag

50(ish) FPS on Cyberpunk.

lovely.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Isn't the whole Ryzen 4000 series mobile chips (laptop & such)? I could be mistaken about that. I didn't exactly research it myself.

And I could always put the extra box to work for something like BOINC but I have other projects I'd like to put my cash towards. I still can't justify it.

No Desktop Ryzen 4000G's exist. AMD Ryzen 4000 Series Desktop Processors with AMD Radeon Graphics Set to Deliver Breakthrough Performance for Commercial and Consumer Desktop PCs | AMD

I just had a thought overall about what I want to use a computer for.   IF they are going to starve the enthusiast market of not even 1-2% of the total components produced  then I might as well just buy the pre built and demote my custom built to being my own server.  Using it just to keep a backed up copy of anything I have on any corporate cloud, and serve my own email and my own basic website, registered by a company that is resistant to the current US climate.  

I just hate having to pay something like $500 more for the same computer I could get if it was possible to built it myself. 

still love to have this thru.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Of course. Leave it up to ASRock Rack to make a Mini-ITX-ish EPYC gen 2 motherboard. xD

Here you go:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/server_manual_MJ11-EC0_e_v10.pdf

I've inquired at several places about availability and pricing, but still no answers 😞

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

7 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Here you go:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/server_manual_MJ11-EC0_e_v10.pdf

I've inquired at several places about availability and pricing, but still no answers 😞

I still need to research their BGA series of EPYC processors. Pretty sure the cores are weaker than their SP3 counterparts.