Audio production/video editing rig for around £2000 (£2750 usd, $3500 Cad)

tebla

Budget (including currency): Around £2000 ($2750usd, £3500Cad)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Audio production, Video Editing 

Other: Looking to buy soon, will have to wait for RTX 3060ti stock though 😞

Hi,

I'm new to PC hardware, looking to build a rig for Audio production (quiet everything needed) and video editing with a budget of around £2000

how does this part list look?

On motherboard, I keep seeing something about needing a bios update for ryzen 5000 series. Is this all motherboard atm or is there a board which doesn't have this issue?

what is the sweet spot for HHD price per TB atm?

Is m.2 nvme worth it?

Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cNyPht

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($548.74 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($379.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($184.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card 
Case: be quiet! Dark Base 900 ATX Full Tower Case  ($199.90 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2098.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-24 10:15 EST-0500

you can go the the top right and select UK in the parts list BTW.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you can go the the top right and select UK in the parts list BTW.

Oh cool, thanks! Very new to this lol

This is my current rig btw :

IMG-20201227-WA0004.jpg

1 minute ago, tebla said:

Oh cool, thanks! Very new to this lol

This is my current rig btw :

IMG-20201227-WA0004.jpg

While getting new hardware is always nice, have to tried your intended workloads on your current machine? While audio production *can* be demanding, if you can work with what you have, you could always spend that money elsewhere.

Just now, 514_AppleGuy said:

While getting new hardware is always nice, have to tried your intended workloads on your current machine? While audio production *can* be demanding, if you can work with what you have, you could always spend that money elsewhere.

My current rig struggles with big sample libraries, audio projects with lots of audio clips and recording lots of inputs at the same time and it really struggles with video editing (davinci resolve crashes, render times in openshot and shotcut are looong). I guess more ram, better GPU could solve that?

I'd suggest a less expensive but quite capable motherboard.

At the moment the 850W RMx psu is available for the same price as the 750W model.

Consider different storage choices. Samsung ssd for consistently excellent performance and quality. If the hdd are going to be in a raid array, get models designed for that use.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£389.99 @ Currys PC World) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (£54.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£133.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£126.78 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£99.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£201.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£96.99 @ Box Limited) 
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£96.99 @ Box Limited) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Dual OC Video Card  (£482.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£151.49 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£124.97 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £2060.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-24 16:14 GMT+0000

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 minutes ago, brob said:

I'd suggest a less expensive but quite capable motherboard.

At the moment the 850W RMx psu is available for the same price as the 750W model.

Consider different storage choices. Samsung ssd for consistently excellent performance and quality. If the hdd are going to be in a raid array, get models designed for that use.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£389.99 @ Currys PC World) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (£54.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£133.48 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£126.78 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£201.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Dual OC Video Card  (£482.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£151.49 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£124.97 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £2060.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-24 16:14 GMT+0000

Awesome, thanks so much for the suggestions! 

Is there anything the less expensive motherboard would be lacking, or is it simply a better all round for my components?

the nas hdd you suggested are lower rpm, how much of a difference does that make?

1 hour ago, tebla said:

My current rig struggles with big sample libraries, audio projects with lots of audio clips and recording lots of inputs at the same time and it really struggles with video editing (davinci resolve crashes, render times in openshot and shotcut are looong). I guess more ram, better GPU could solve that?

Normally, I would indeed suggest to start by simply upgrading the RAM and GOU to see if it brings the necessary improvements. The problem is that since your current system is on DDR3, if you buy these upgrades but then realize that you also need a new main board and CPU, then you bought this DDR3 for nothing. If your budget allows for an entirely new system, then go for that. 

3 minutes ago, 514_AppleGuy said:

Normally, I would indeed suggest to start by simply upgrading the RAM and GOU to see if it brings the necessary improvements. The problem is that since your current system is on DDR3, if you buy these upgrades but then realize that you also need a new main board and CPU, then you bought this DDR3 for nothing. If your budget allows for an entirely new system, then go for that. 

That was my thinking, new system would also give me more future proof/upgrade potential down the line. It's been about 6 years since my last new system so I figure time for an overhaul.

With motherboards what are your thoughts on x570 vs B550?

2 hours ago, tebla said:

Awesome, thanks so much for the suggestions! 

Is there anything the less expensive motherboard would be lacking, or is it simply a better all round for my components?

the nas hdd you suggested are lower rpm, how much of a difference does that make?

A more expensive motherboard would only matter if you planned to push overclocking or wanted lots of rgb.

Lower hdd rpm would only make a significant difference if the array is heavily used. If it's just used to store inactive projects and the like, it won't matter. If you do want 7200 rpm hdd in a raid array, consider the Pro versions, IronWolf Pro and Red Pro.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

28 minutes ago, brob said:

A more expensive motherboard would only matter if you planned to push overclocking or wanted lots of rgb.

Lower hdd rpm would only make a significant difference if the array is heavily used. If it's just used to store inactive projects and the like, it won't matter. If you do want 7200 rpm hdd in a raid array, consider the Pro versions, IronWolf Pro and Red Pro.

Cool, thanks!

5 hours ago, tebla said:

That was my thinking, new system would also give me more future proof/upgrade potential down the line. It's been about 6 years since my last new system so I figure time for an overhaul.

With motherboards what are your thoughts on x570 vs B550?

Unless you plan on going full Linus and try to overclock everything including your fans, then I’d save the expense and go with a good, basic B550 board.