Flashed Bios idle temps dropped 12C

CreateSean

I flashed my bios this morning and made zero updates to the bios other than to ensure virutualization was enabled and that my ram is running at 3600.

Previously my Ryzen 3600 with stock cooler had idle temps around 60C now it's 47-48C.

No other changes. 

Is this normal? Was planning on getting Cooler Master 212 EVO coolor but now think I may stick with stock until the 5600x shortage is gone.

Just now, CreateSean said:

I flashed my bios this morning and made zero updates to the bios other than to ensure virutualization was enabled and that my ram is running at 3600.

Previously my Ryzen 3600 with stock cooler had idle temps around 60C now it's 47-48C.

No other changes. 

Is this normal? Was planning on getting Cooler Master 212 EVO coolor but now think I may stick with stock until the 5600x shortage is gone.

I mean 60c isn't exactly good for idle so flashing the BIOS probably just fixed that problem. But definitely upgrade your cooler though.

To put this in perspective to show you how hot your CPU is.. If I run my CPU at 4400, and fire up some linpack extreme, My load temperature is 15c higher then your idle temperature. Linpack Extreme is pretty hardcore.. Run it for 30 seconds and you will see what we are on about 👍

Maybe look into some more case fans, or maybe a new case, or both.. and then a cooler lol. But not a 212. Only because I despise them. Or if you don't care.. just let it ride..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

40 minutes ago, F1nnegan said:

I mean 60c isn't exactly good for idle so flashing the BIOS probably just fixed that problem. But definitely upgrade your cooler though.

You dont need to upgrade your cooler to reduce your temperatures, especially idle temperatures. OP, if I were to guess either fan profiles are changed or voltage curve is, either way I really wouldnt worry about idle temperatures, particularly if you are running your case with minimal fans.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

22 minutes ago, Levent said:

You dont need to upgrade your cooler to reduce your temperatures, especially idle temperatures. OP, if I were to guess either fan profiles are changed or voltage curve is, either way I really wouldnt worry about idle temperatures, particularly if you are running your case with minimal fans.

I've got 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. I'd still like to see lower temps

24 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Maybe look into some more case fans, or maybe a new case, or both.. and then a cooler lol. But not a 212. Only because I despise them. Or if you don't care.. just let it ride..

3 intake and 1 exhaust fan - thought this should be fine. Case is a Corsair 400d Airflow.

Why the hate for the 212?

Start by changing your fan profile if you can. I honestly think your current 40s idle temperatures are just fine.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, CreateSean said:

I've got 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. I'd still like to see lower temps

3 intake and 1 exhaust fan - thought this should be fine. Case is a Corsair 400d Airflow.

Why the hate for the 212?

Nothing wrong with a 212, especially for mid range cpus like the 3600

60c isn't right for a 3600.

When I was stock it was about 36c - 39c

With the noctua it's about 33c to 35c

Even bigger difference is under load