Why is the setting under “Overclocking”?

Hi!

I have a question about the MSI A20M (motherboard) and AMD Ryzen 5 3600 configuration. I want to enable virtualization to be able to run virtual machines in VMWare, but I’m a little concerned that the option to enable the virtualization setting on the CPU is under the “Overclocking” menu in my BIOS. Am I technically overclocking anything by enabling it, and/or is there any chance to break anything by enabling this setting?

Thanks for any help - I’m not a PC expert, but I’m wondering a lot why this option is under “Overclocking settings” in the first place.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

That motherboard literally doesn't exist. You probably mean some A320M motherboard. Which one is it exactly?

But usually such settings are under CPU features or some menu like that, not under Overclocking.

Sorry, lost a number there. Yeah, MSI 520M Pro.

27 minutes ago, tapeisonlyatempsolution said:

Am I technically overclocking anything by enabling it, and/or is there any chance to break anything by enabling this setting?

No idea why they label the setting this way, as it is not related to overclocking. I assume this is a way of saying "advanced feature, leave alone" to people who don't know what it is needed for. From my understanding it is disabled by default because it opens another possible avenue for exploiting a system. But you aren't going to break your system simply by enabling it and/or using virtual machines.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

32 minutes ago, tapeisonlyatempsolution said:

Thanks a lot for the answers! Case solved, virtualization enabled, and I’m happy!

The likely reason is that AMD provides a binary code package called AGESA, (the AiBs inject into the bios) its easy to dump all the settings associated with that package under a single menu.