pcie 2.0 ×4 Can it handle?

Mentor

I've been looking for a gpu upgrade from my hd 7770 and found this 250$ used gtx 1070 but unfortunately my pcie 2.0 ×16 stopped working and i have to use pcie 2.0 ×4 so my question is can it handle gtx 1070 or will it affect performance largely to the point I'd have to look for lower cards what do you recommend guys ?

My rig: asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 

I7 2600k

8gb ddr3

120ssd

500w psu

Edited by Mentor

13 minutes ago, Mentor said:

will it affect performance largely to the point I'd have to look for lower cards

i mean, it depends on the games you play tbh, some will take a decent performance hit while others wont care

4 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

i mean, it depends on the games you play tbh, some will take a decent performance hit while others wont 

Aiming for triple A games so will 1070 do on this pcie or 1060 is enough here ?

24 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

that's going to choke the card for performance. you could get the card and keep it for when you replace the motherboard though - i'm just not convinced on 250 dollars being sane pricing for a 1070, so maybe upgrade the motherboard first

That's mostly the pricing in my country ,used 1060 goes for around 220$

1 minute ago, Mentor said:

Aiming for triple A games so will 1070 do on this pcie or 1060 is enough here ?

games like gta v and shadow of the tomb raider, farcry 5 are example of games that shouldnt care too much

while games like assassin's creed odyssey and the witcher 3 might care a little bit, but it shouldnt be anything more than a 10% performance drop on a 1060 and 1070, but again, you could always upgrade your motherboard later since you can play a good chunk of games without any major isssues

1 minute ago, Mentor said:

That's mostly the pricing in my country ,used 1060 goes for around 220$

me over here with my refurbished nitro+ rx 580 that i got for $130 (before prices went to all hell)

9 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

me over here with my refurbished nitro+ rx 580 that i got for $130 (before prices went to all hell)

That's a real catch you should enjoy it

Here you get 1050 ti with that cash lol

Thanks guys ,I guess the upgrade is reasonable enough 

8 hours ago, Mentor said:

I've been looking for a gpu upgrade from my hd 7770 and found this 250$ used gtx 1070 but unfortunately my pcie 2.0 ×16 stopped working and i have to use pcie 2.0 ×4 so my question is can it handle gtx 1070 or will it affect performance largely to the point I'd have to look for lower cards what do you recommend guys ?

My rig: asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 

I7 2600k

8gb ddr3

120ssd

500w psu

Your motherboard has two PCIe 3.0 x16 are you sure both are not working? 

it also has a PCIe 2.0 x16 (the x4 is when you use 3 way crossfire) 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:57 PM, papajo said:

Your motherboard has two PCIe 3.0 x16 are you sure both are not working? 

it also has a PCIe 2.0 x16 (the x4 is when you use 3 way crossfire) 

With i7 2600k , they all work as gen 2

The first two in my board stopped working so I'm using the last one and i think it works as pcie 2.0 ×4

On 1/28/2021 at 9:39 AM, Mentor said:

With i7 2600k , they all work as gen 2

The first two in my board stopped working so I'm using the last one and i think it works as pcie 2.0 ×4

There isnt much documentation on the manual about this it says it is a x16 slot but it also says it is a x4 slot. 

Conventional wisdom would tell that it is a x16 slot but becomes a x4 if you use 3 way SLi or 3way Crossfire (same as when the x16 slots become x8 when you use crossfire) 

I am not sure how could both your x16 slots fail... thunderstrike? 

Check if the slot has connetions (golden pins) through out its length if it has it is a physical x16 slot. 

Then if it works at x4 as you think that means that somehow they two slots that do not work seem to the mobo as occupied (hence it slows it down to x4) 

In that case why not try to get a 2nd hand motherboard they wouldnt be that much expensive I assume 

It could be that the socket is friend up though or that the pads on your CPU corresponding to those lanes are shorted... do you have a 1nd CPU to try on that motherboard? (although there might be a risk that the mobo fries the 2nd CPU in the same way so use a scrap CPU if possible)