Radiators are actually convectors

OVER10RD
Go to solution Solved by NineEyeRon,
1 minute ago, OVER10RD said:

So my point still stands though聽馃槈

Ok,聽so we were never able to change your mind in the first place?

15 minutes ago, OVER10RD said:

Change my mind

ya...what your point?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I have no intent in helping with your intelligence, convince me.

CPU:i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software)--> 1.47V at the back of the socketMotherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz)CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15RAM:聽Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000)聽GPU:聽Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream聽vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps))聽SSD:Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GBPSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold聽Case:聽Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1聽exhaust聽Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panelKeyboard:Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps聽Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17聽17-an110ca聽CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA聽undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM:聽8+8GB DDR4-2400聽18-17-17-39聽2T聽Storage:聽HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD聽+ Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD,聽128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2聽SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally,聽1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172)聽left outside聽Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168聽Multi-thread: 833聽

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

A simple google search (or DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yahoo Search (is that still a thing?) or whatever search engine you prefer) would tell you the difference between convection and radiation, and should change your mind.聽

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Ill give you a second to google what a convector's full name is called.聽

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

A simple google search (or DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yahoo Search (is that still a thing?) or whatever search engine you prefer) would tell you the difference between convection and radiation, and should change your mind.聽

Guys, convection is the transfer of heat by movement of fluids (liquid or gas) while radiation is the heat transfer by electromagnetic聽RADIATION. The fundamental way that "radiators" work is by convection of heat from the processing unit聽(or engine in vehicles) to the聽core of the radiator using liquids聽where heat is again convected away from the radiator core to the atmosphere (u search engine experts breathe lol) using air.

So the function of radiators is to transfer heat by convection -聽ergo, radiators actually work as convectors.

1 hour ago, OVER10RD said:

Guys, convection is the transfer of heat by movement of fluids (liquid or gas) while radiation is the heat transfer by electromagnetic聽RADIATION. The fundamental way that "radiators" work is by convection of heat from the processing unit聽(or engine in vehicles) to the聽core of the radiator using liquids聽where heat is again convected away from the radiator core to the atmosphere (u search engine experts breathe lol) using air.

So the function of radiators is to transfer heat by convection -聽ergo, radiators actually work as convectors.

I thought you wanted us to change your mind and not you wanting to change ours?

So back to your point, let鈥檚 talk about heaters (New idea for Alec on Technology Connections here!!!!).

Convection heaters work on drawing cold air up from the bottom by heating the air in the unit and causing it to rise out the top. These are typically electric but are not fan assisted. Just a heating element in a protective metal cage.聽

Radiators don鈥檛 draw air up and through over a heating element, they are typically a large tank filled with oil or water heated elsewhere in the building or unit for freestanding ones.

These have a very large surface area which becomes hot in its entirety, the liquid聽typically moves from the bottom in one side to the top on the other side before returning to be heated again for installed units(this is often pumped and the system kept at a pressure rather than relying on convection).聽

Freestanding ones probably work on convention internally but it is radiant heat from all over the surface that heats the room.聽

Is that enough to change your mind?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to Off Topic

This is tech forum, not one for linguistic arguments.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

I thought you wanted us to change your mind and not you wanting to change ours?

So back to your point, let鈥檚 talk about heaters (New idea for Alec on Technology Connections here!!!!).

Convection heaters work on drawing cold air up from the bottom by heating the air in the unit and causing it to rise out the top. These are typically electric but are not fan assisted. Just a heating element in a protective metal cage.聽

Radiators don鈥檛 draw air up and through over a heating element, they are typically a large tank filled with oil or water heated elsewhere in the building or unit for freestanding ones.

These have a very large surface area which becomes hot in its entirety, the liquid聽typically moves from the bottom in one side to the top on the other side before returning to be heated again for installed units(this is often pumped and the system kept at a pressure rather than relying on convection).聽

Freestanding ones probably work on convention internally but it is radiant heat from all over the surface that heats the room.聽

Is that enough to change your mind?

I did want you to change my mind. It's just that you couldn't yet. (didn't post this topic in hostility聽btw)

And I didn't say radiators were "convection heaters". I merely implied they act as convectors because they primarily use thermal convection for heat dissipation rather than thermal聽radiation, even though they're called radiators.

But yeah, technically Convection is not fan assisted and thanks for pointing that out. The proper term for this phenomenon is Forced Convection.

And forced convection doesn't necessarily have to loop a volume聽of聽air up and down for cooling

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

thought i'd run it through u guys just to be sure

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Off Topic

This is tech forum, not one for linguistic arguments.

it crossed my mind. then i thought it'd belong in general discussion since it was a matter of "technical" terms

buzzkill

buzzkill

I call that and raise you with

• No thread dumping (posting a thread in the wrong section). Check the forum for the most appropriate location for your thread before posting.
  • No spam
  • No trolling or flame-bait.

Locked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv