Cloning drives questions.

So I'm a little confused.

For context my new PC is built and setup with Windows 10 Pro fully activated. I didn't clone my drive because I wanted a fresh install but I realized that I have a few programs that are one time downloads on that PC so I can't just reinstall on a new PC.

First off I'm not sure if, because I already activated Windows 10 Pro on my new PC with a new key, if windows will ask me to reactivate windows again. (key for 1 PC so I don't know if I can use it again if I clone the drive over)

Secondly, does anyone know if programs that are one time installs and linked to that PC will work if they are cloned or if they are linked to the hardware of the system in some way?

Sorry, I'm usually a build-it and start fresh person so I don't clone drives, this is a one time exception.

One time install programs usually have a key that activates them, usually you can find this in the software settings or with a keyfinder.

For windows you can do this to move it to a new PC

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

51 minutes ago, Enderman said:

One time install programs usually have a key that activates them, usually you can find this in the software settings or with a keyfinder.

For windows you can do this to move it to a new PC

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

Since I've already activated Windows on the new PC with a 1 PC Key should I deactivate it first before cloning the drive over? I had to buy a new one because my current key just wouldn't work on the new PC so I'm worried about losing this key as well if it asks me for a key again.

1 hour ago, Torvich said:

Since I've already activated Windows on the new PC with a 1 PC Key should I deactivate it first before cloning the drive over? I had to buy a new one because my current key just wouldn't work on the new PC so I'm worried about losing this key as well if it asks me for a key again.

Link it with your microsoft account.

Then you follow the instructions in the link and you use the microsoft account on the new PC and it will move the license for you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Link it with your microsoft account.

Then you follow the instructions in the link and you use the microsoft account on the new PC and it will move the license for you.

Strange, when I tried that it said that my key was invalid on the new PC. That's the reason I went and bought a new key (cheap single key online thankfully)

Is it because this was a digital key that wasn't from the microsoft store or the officially expensive one?

I've been reading through all the troubleshooting on their site but it doesn't say anything about linking more then 1 windows key to your account.

Any idea if it keeps track of multiple keys if you aren't a business?

1 hour ago, Torvich said:

Strange, when I tried that it said that my key was invalid on the new PC. That's the reason I went and bought a new key (cheap single key online thankfully)

Is it because this was a digital key that wasn't from the microsoft store or the officially expensive one?

I've been reading through all the troubleshooting on their site but it doesn't say anything about linking more then 1 windows key to your account.

Any idea if it keeps track of multiple keys if you aren't a business?

Are you talking about the key you had previously on your original computer or a new key?

If it's a new key from a third party site like G2A or something, sometimes they don't work.

If you're trying to just move your windows to a new PC then the microsoft account should work, it explains in the link how you have to select "I changed hardware on this device recently"

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Enderman said:

Are you talking about the key you had previously on your original computer or a new key?

If it's a new key from a third party site like G2A or something, sometimes they don't work.

If you're trying to just move your windows to a new PC then the microsoft account should work, it explains in the link how you have to select "I changed hardware on this device recently"

I tried as you said, logging in to a microsoft account on both PC's and just selecting hardware change troubleshooting, but it's still saying the old pc key is invalid. I went ahead and bought a new key (from G2deals) and it worked on the new PC, fully activated.

I guess I can't trust these cheap digital keys to be transferable between systems or maybe I missed a step? I remember when there was a troubleshooter built into windows that let you generate a long code, different from your key, that you could type into a new PC with all new hardware and it would activate it. Now it just keeps saying to call customer support.