PC Speaker pops/cracks, when a light switch is turned on/off or when washing machine is running.

frost kazuma

The title pretty much tells my issue.

Whenever a light switched is turned on/off the speaker pops or when a washing machine is running, every spin the speaker cracks, kinda making me insane lol.
So I did a quick search, I'm thinking of using UPS and plug my speaker to it. or just by a surge protector outlet and use that.
Which one should I choose, im thinking that UPS is a bit overkill but I'm not sure if surge protector will fix it.

If there are other fixes for this please tell me, Thanks!

3 minutes ago, frost kazuma said:

or just by a surge protector outlet and use that.

A surge protector won't do anything at all so the ups was actually a pretty good solution.

but that being said your computer should be on a surge protector regardless

full agreement with @emosun

This says to me “the wiring in my house is garbage and there are too many things on one circuit including laundry equipment”

UPS is the way to go there. It effectively insulates the machine from that circuit making its own little system that interacts through the battery.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, frost kazuma said:

If there are other fixes for this please tell me, Thanks!

there are power filtering surge protectors which will prevent the popping and noise from other devices on the circuit you are using for the speakers. They start around $250 so it's often cheaper to go with a small UPS which should also isolate the devices plugged in for other things on the same circuit. 

Depending on how the UPS is designed it will act as a standard surge protector when power is coming from the wall, when the power fails it will switch to battery power and the battery supplies power to the outlets on the UPS. This is true for most cheap UPSs under $100 and won't solve your problem. Other ones, usually from the better companies like APC, Cyberpower etc, will separate the outlets of the UPS from the power coming in and will fix your problem, these tend to be pricier but not as bad as a $250 filtering isolated surge protector. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Liebert-Protection-Three-Year-Warranty-PST5-660MT120/dp/B07BXZPF99/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ups&qid=1611453133&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1 

this would be perfect for a basic speaker setup, there's a 300W one for $10 cheaper but for the price this one is a better value. 

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=ups&qid=1611453164&sr=8-9

This would be if you want to step up to the bigger systems and run both your speakers and a bunch of other devices off the same unit, should be more than enough for a full entertainment system + computer

First thing you should try is running the speakers to a different outlet if you have an extension cord around, usually these problem are because there's a dip in power going to the speakers because another device is drawing power on the same breaker/fuse, if the same thing happens on other circuits on different breakers (try a bathroom circuit or kitchen circuit) then it's effecting the full breaker/fuse panel and should be looked into by an electrician for grounding connections or bad wiring in the walls which in extreme cases would start a fire. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

there are power filtering surge protectors which will prevent the popping and noise from other devices on the circuit you are using for the speakers. They start around $250 so it's often cheaper to go with a small UPS which should also isolate the devices plugged in for other things on the same circuit. 

Depending on how the UPS is designed it will act as a standard surge protector when power is coming from the wall, when the power fails it will switch to battery power and the battery supplies power to the outlets on the UPS. This is true for most cheap UPSs under $100 and won't solve your problem. Other ones, usually from the better companies like APC, Cyberpower etc, will separate the outlets of the UPS from the power coming in and will fix your problem, these tend to be pricier but not as bad as a $250 filtering isolated surge protector. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Liebert-Protection-Three-Year-Warranty-PST5-660MT120/dp/B07BXZPF99/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ups&qid=1611453133&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1 

this would be perfect for a basic speaker setup, there's a 300W one for $10 cheaper but for the price this one is a better value. 

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=ups&qid=1611453164&sr=8-9

This would be if you want to step up to the bigger systems and run both your speakers and a bunch of other devices off the same unit, should be more than enough for a full entertainment system + computer

First thing you should try is running the speakers to a different outlet if you have an extension cord around, usually these problem are because there's a dip in power going to the speakers because another device is drawing power on the same breaker/fuse, if the same thing happens on other circuits on different breakers (try a bathroom circuit or kitchen circuit) then it's effecting the full breaker/fuse panel and should be looked into by an electrician for grounding connections or bad wiring in the walls which in extreme cases would start a fire. 

Thank you for a very informative reply!

1 hour ago, frost kazuma said:

Guess I'll go with a UPS,
im not really good with this things, is it UPS good? products above is good, but could take a while to receive itimage.thumb.png.526f5b4183425caaae6e6c00e9fa765b.png

https://www.cyberpower.com/ph/en/product/sku/ut1050eg

“Good” with UPSes is pretty dependent on use case.  UPSes are designed to do more than you actually want to do with one. You’re not really using it for what they are most commonly bought for.  They can just act as cheapo single outlet power cleaners which is what you want.  You don’t actually care about power drop (unless of course you do) so anything that can power your setup for a couple seconds should be sufficient for your use case. 

UPSes come in smart and dumb (unless they only come in smart now) a smart UPS will tell you how long you have till the UPS runs out of power during an outage.  The main cost difference is how big their batteries are.  A dumb one won’t.  They just run till they drop.  You don’t need smart because you’re not trying to mitigate a blackout you’re just trying to clean your power. I might even go cheaper.  They used to make some that looked like extra thick power strips.   That’s the kind I might go for in this situation.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...