cooler for i9 10850k

Svenvdv

want to buy a 10850k pared with a MSI Z490-a PRO
I am not planning on doing any overclocking at all
I want to use this CPU for the next 5/6 years
I am not gonna use it for any editing, mostly for gaming, and maybe for streaming in the future.
I want to be able to play AAA games without problems in the future
I am planning to build it in the Corsair 4000D airflow
my question is what cooler do I need?
will a noctua nh-u12s be good enough, or do I need something more expensive like the corsair H100i RGB PRO Xt or corsair H115i RGB PRO XT? (If I Need to go for a AIO, I prefer corsair, cause my pc will be a corsair kind of theme)
btw I wont use the NH-D15

2 minutes ago, Svenvdv said:

5/6 years

oof

If you are not doing any overclocking then pick any 40$+ random cooler 

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

29 minutes ago, Adkatka said:

oof

If you are not doing any overclocking then pick any 40$+ random cooler 

I would say any $30 random cooler but prices may have gone up.  You basically just want to run the thing stock, but the 10850k doesn’t come with a stock cooler.  It’s not going to pull much over a hundred watts most likely so anything in the 120-140 range would do.  Anything with 4 good pipes or some especially well done 3 pipe coolers like the dark rock slim should do fine.  The belly button answer is a hyper212 because it sits in that range, but really anything in that class will do.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What? You guys are setting him up to fail with a 40 dollar cooler. This CPU pulls 250w at the top end.

Your gonna want some beef. I understand if you don't like a D15, but don't get a 212 class cooler. Get something with at least 6 pipes. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

What? You guys are setting him up to fail with a 40 dollar cooler. This CPU pulls 250w at the top end.

Your gonna want some beef. I understand if you don't like a D15, but don't get a 212 class cooler. Get something with at least 6 pipes. 

It does but he says he won’t overclock.  Got to overclock to get those giant power numbers.  If he EVER wants to overclock though you’re right of course.  At that point though it’s a hundred bucks worth of cooler.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

It does but he says he won’t overclock.  Got to overclock to get those giant power numbers.  If he EVER wants to overclock though you’re right of course.  At that point though it’s a hundred bucks worth of cooler.

Are you sure? I thought max power for PL2 was set for 250w?

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Are you sure? I thought max power for PL2 was set for 250w?

My memory is it’s a lot nearer 100.  Like 95w or 105w or something.  Might be 125w which would make a cooler like a dark rock slim a bit marginal.  Hyper212 would still handle it fine though. Get like 20w or so higher than the chip rating and you’re basically good.  I don’t think so though.  Manufacturers tend to cheat on that one a bit of course but there are limits.  A 3700x was technically a 65w chip but would functionally boost to the low 80’s often enough it had to be accounted for with cooling.    You can make it go hotter with an OC of course.  Anything even near 200w for a non OC chip is crazy. Even with a 120w cooler a 105w chip that boosts to 200w for fractions of a second will still be fine. 

Edited by Bombastinator

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is it’s a lot nearer 100.  Like 95w or 105w or something.  Might be 125w which would make a cooler like a dark rock slim a bit marginal.  Hyper212 would still handle it fine though. Get like 20w or so higher than the chip rating and you’re basically good.  I don’t think so though.  Manufacturers tend to cheat on that one a bit of course but there are limits.  A 3700x was technically a 65w chip but would functionally boost to the low 80’s often enough it had to be accounted for with cooling.    You can make it go hotter with an OC of course.  Anything even near 200w for a non OC chip is crazy. Even with a 120w cooler a 105w chip that boosts to 200w for fractions of a second will still be fine. 

Oh ok. Well this is where I got my info 

• PL1 is the processor's rated TDP value, which defines the long-duration power limit the processor must not exceed; it's set to 125 W for both the i9-10850K and i9-10900K. All components in the system must be able to handle that heat/power draw continuously.
  • PL2 is the key for Turbo Boost 2.0 to function. It allows the processor to exceed PL1 for a short duration—when it leaves the idle state. The idea behind this is that the cooling solution is designed to handle 125 W (PL1) of continuous heat around the clock. With the whole system cool, there's a certain time the processor can run safely at higher power draw—while everything heats up. Think of heat being water that accumulates in a leaky bucket. If the bucket is empty, you can fill it up very quickly without making it spill. The value of PL2 is the maximum power that can be used in that state—it's set to 250 W for both CPUs.
  • Tau is the duration PL2 can run for—56 seconds on both processors.
  • PL3 and PL4 aren't relevant here as they are super-short bursts of just a few milliseconds.

The widely accepted assumption is that you are able to run the processor 56 seconds for up to 250 W before it will drop to 125 W. Our data shows that this is not the case. Rather, there seems to be a certain amount of total energy (Energy = Power x Time) that can be used while boosting, and once that budget is exhausted, the TDP limit will activate.

From the review at TPU:

Intel Core i9-10850K Review - Just as Good as the i9-10900K | TechPowerUp

23 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Oh ok. Well this is where I got my info 

From the review at TPU:

Intel Core i9-10850K Review - Just as Good as the i9-10900K | TechPowerUp

The issue is the very definition of what an OC is has gotten fuzzy.  Modern CPUs boost, so they basically automatically overclock themselves.if you set the cpu to run at 250w all the time you’ve basically overclocked the cpu.   The thing is fractional second overclocks still work even with air coolers because even though the heat soak for an air cooler is vastly smaller than a water cooler it still exists, and it’s more than a second or two. Plenty of time to cool down again. 

Edited by Bombastinator

I cant say, I don't have a modern Intel. I have a couple of older ones that know how to make some heat. I hear you on the overclock. I lose 100MHz on my top end to gain 200ish on the bottom to run an all core oc manually. I still might buy an Intel board and CPU to play with. I've got some ram I would like to try on it.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So the noctua nh-u12s will be more then enough?

or is the arctic freezer 34 esports duo also more then enough?

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one here who bought the cpu? geez

I tried the noctua u12s and even after I upgraded to a 3000 rpm fan small fft in p95 could get the temp above 90 degrees. I moved my thermal junction to 90, so I'm not sure how hot it's gonna get, but I saw it go as low as 4.5GHz, and stock multicore is 4.8.

It's not bad if you are gaming; you might get high temps if you do heavy work loads, but it takes a lot. But you bought a 10 core cpu, so you're probably gonna want to use 10 cores at some point though, so a u12s with 3000 rpm fan is still on the edge.

Stock thermal junction is 100 degrees C, but it's supposed to be better for the cpu if you stay below 90ish.

I put a 420mm aio on mine, and it gets up to about 85 degrees at stock speed. I did use arctic silver 5 instead of the stuff it came with, but that shouldn't matter much (it came with slightly better paste, but not much of it). If you want to be safe and no thermal throttling, anything less than a noctua dh 15 won't be enough. I haven't tried that cooler myself, but the 10900k was pretty good with it in other people's tests.

Solid front panels aren't good for 10th gen i9s so you made a good choice on the case. Don't be surprised if you need lots of case fans, and watch your gpu temperature too in case you don't have enough airflow. My 2080ti (EVGA) doesn't heat up easy, so I have my giant aio sucking air in, and other fans pushing air out.

I test with small fft in p95 without avx. AVX instructions run hotter, but most new bios know this and will treat avx different. Keep bios up to date so it uses the right voltage.

I don't know if anything will last 5 years; your single thread is pretty much the same as any newish intel cpu. Games will multithread a bit better, but if you want high refresh rate then we all might have a tough time.

everyone who said a $40 cooler is enough is a complete fraud.

3 hours ago, lobmobster said:

I tried the noctua u12s and even after I upgraded to a 3000 rpm fan small fft in p95 could get the temp above 90 degrees. I moved my thermal junction to 90, so I'm not sure how hot it's gonna get, but I saw it go as low as 4.5GHz, and stock multicore is 4.8.

It's not bad if you are gaming; you might get high temps if you do heavy work loads, but it takes a lot. But you bought a 10 core cpu, so you're probably gonna want to use 10 cores at some point though, so a u12s with 3000 rpm fan is still on the edge.

Stock thermal junction is 100 degrees C, but it's supposed to be better for the cpu if you stay below 90ish.

I put a 420mm aio on mine, and it gets up to about 85 degrees at stock speed. I did use arctic silver 5 instead of the stuff it came with, but that shouldn't matter much (it came with slightly better paste, but not much of it). If you want to be safe and no thermal throttling, anything less than a noctua dh 15 won't be enough. I haven't tried that cooler myself, but the 10900k was pretty good with it in other people's tests.

Solid front panels aren't good for 10th gen i9s so you made a good choice on the case. Don't be surprised if you need lots of case fans, and watch your gpu temperature too in case you don't have enough airflow. My 2080ti (EVGA) doesn't heat up easy, so I have my giant aio sucking air in, and other fans pushing air out.

I test with small fft in p95 without avx. AVX instructions run hotter, but most new bios know this and will treat avx different. Keep bios up to date so it uses the right voltage.

I don't know if anything will last 5 years; your single thread is pretty much the same as any newish intel cpu. Games will multithread a bit better, but if you want high refresh rate then we all might have a tough time.

Youre not running it stock then. 135W:s should not be enough to push temps over 80C with 420 aio.

8 hours ago, lobmobster said:

The stock speed of the ip 10850k is 3.60GHz and you said 4.5 GHz

I know that the i9 heats up fast but I saw the results with the 10850k on ltt and it showed that at stock speed the u12s is more the enough
And the case im gonna use is good airflow Corsair 4000d airflow

link to the video: 

nobody cares about the "stock speed" the all core turbo is what I was referring to. If you're gonna run that thing at the actual stock speed, then what the duce are you buying intel for? A Ryzen 9 is gonna run way faster multicore, and if you aren't using intel's all core turbo which is used at stock settings, then you don't even have better single thread and there is no reason to get it. I said 4.5 because it was thermal throttling with my u12s, there is no spec that runs it at 4.5 stock.

Okay, I think I understand some confusion that is happening. Intel doesn't advertise the all core turbo. It's 4.8 on the 10850k. It's hard to find the spec on this oddly enough, but I dug and found a few of them. 10700k is 4.7, 10900k is 4.9. The turbo intel advertises is the single thread turbo which I can't get the cpu to sustain, even in a heavy single thread load. 10850k will reach 5.2 at stock settings, but no matter what I do, it doesn't stay there, so this number is not worth mentioning. Maybe it prevents hitches in the frame rate, but I don't have the tech to test that. But 4.8 is what the 10850k will use under load if everything is working properly, and all the benchmarks out there use it at 4.8 because that is what it does by default. If you are stuck at the base clock, then you should have considered ryzen 9; it typically comes with a cooler so there's no bs.

22 minutes ago, lobmobster said:

nobody cares about the "stock speed" the all core turbo is what I was referring to. If you're gonna run that thing at the actual stock speed, then what the duce are you buying intel for? A Ryzen 9 is gonna run way faster multicore, and if you aren't using intel's all core turbo which is used at stock settings, then you don't even have better single thread and there is no reason to get it. I said 4.5 because it was thermal throttling with my u12s, there is no spec that runs it at 4.5 stock.

Okay, I think I understand some confusion that is happening. Intel doesn't advertise the all core turbo. It's 4.8 on the 10850k. It's hard to find the spec on this oddly enough, but I dug and found a few of them. 10700k is 4.7, 10900k is 4.9. The turbo intel advertises is the single thread turbo which I can't get the cpu to sustain, even in a heavy single thread load. 10850k will reach 5.2 at stock settings, but no matter what I do, it doesn't stay there, so this number is not worth mentioning. Maybe it prevents hitches in the frame rate, but I don't have the tech to test that. But 4.8 is what the 10850k will use under load if everything is working properly, and all the benchmarks out there use it at 4.8 because that is what it does by default. If you are stuck at the base clock, then you should have considered ryzen 9; it typically comes with a cooler so there's no bs.

I wouldn’t say no one.  There are people who buy non Ks and even people who buy Ks but don’t overclock them because they’re interested in longevity and resale value.  There may also be people who buy a k that turns out to be lead and doesn’t overclock usefully so they decide to leave it stock.  I got a 4770k that turned out to be lead, and if I hadn’t already bought a big cooler and a z series mobo I probably wouldn’t have bothered to overclock it. The cooler was the big one for me actually.  It was used so I couldn’t return it.  Most k chip buyers though? Especially most k buyers here?  Probably.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I wouldn’t say no one.  There are people who buy non Ks and even people who buy Ks but don’t overclock them because they’re interested in longevity and resale value.  There may also be people who buy a k that turns out to be lead and doesn’t overclock usefully so they decide to leave it stock.  I got a 4770k that turned out to be lead, and if I hadn’t already bought a big cooler and a z series mobo I probably wouldn’t have bothered to overclock it. The cooler was the big one for me actually.  It was used so I couldn’t return it.  Most k chip buyers though? Especially most k buyers here?  Probably.

The stock boost on new Intel cpu:s is fine for gaming. Its hard avx loads that takes the hit when power limits kick in and that usually makes 0 difference for normal users. Stock, unlimited boost and 5,1GHz OC on a 10900K are within 1% in techpowerup review on 1440p.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/16.html

4 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

The stock boost on new Intel cpu:s is fine for gaming. Its hard avx loads that takes the hit when power limits kick in and that usually makes 0 difference for normal users. Stock, unlimited boost and 5,1GHz OC on a 10900K are within 1% in techpowerup review on 1440p.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/16.html

Well I want to buy  the 10850k for gaming for around 4-5 years and not doing avx loads so for me stock speed is fine and then the U12S should be enough like the video showed

Yes it's fine, it's just close to the edge. Don't hit your cpu hard all the time though, it will last longer if you stay below 90 C. Also, you never mentioned your fps; if you're happy with 60Hz, I'd go with Ryzen 9; it will load faster and multitask like a beast. If you have a high refresh rate monitor, go with your 10850k and watch temps while you are recording just to make sure it's okay. Also, some mobos cheat and don't follow specs, so if you see all 20 threads above 4.8 GHz, you might have to go into bios and fix that.

22 minutes ago, Svenvdv said:

Well I want to buy  the 10850k for gaming for around 4-5 years and not doing avx loads so for me stock speed is fine and then the U12S should be enough like the video showed

Depends on price too. Usually you can get better coolers for the price of U12S like Scythe Fuma 2.

1 hour ago, lobmobster said:

Yes it's fine, it's just close to the edge. Don't hit your cpu hard all the time though, it will last longer if you stay below 90 C. Also, you never mentioned your fps; if you're happy with 60Hz, I'd go with Ryzen 9; it will load faster and multitask like a beast. If you have a high refresh rate monitor, go with your 10850k and watch temps while you are recording just to make sure it's okay. Also, some mobos cheat and don't follow specs, so if you see all 20 threads above 4.8 GHz, you might have to go into bios and fix that.

I am aiming for 144Hz at 1440p

38 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Depends on price too. Usually you can get better coolers for the price of U12S like Scythe Fuma 2.

The scythe fuma 2 is actually 15 euros cheaper where I live

but ill have to look into size etc, cause 1 of the reasons I choose the u12s was because of its size+ cooling performance (the u12s is 71mm depth and the fuma2 is 131mm depth, but they have almost same length and width)

Thats why the nh-d15 was and still is a no go for me

1 hour ago, Svenvdv said:

I am aiming for 144Hz at 1440p

144hz@1440p is sorta 4k+. Gonna need a video card inside the cryptomining envelope to do that.  Could be hard to find.  Keeping a gpu like that fed though still isn’t massively difficult.  Anything with 3600x power or greater will do it.  Less for some stuff. A 10850 stock will do that so finding enough cooler to make it go isn’t a gigantic problem.  The bigger issue right now is getting ahold of a gpu that will do the job.

Edited by Bombastinator

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

144hz@1440p is sorta 4k+. Gonna need a video card inside the cryptomining envelope to do that.  Could be hard to find.  Keeping a gpu like that fed though still isn’t massively difficult.  Anything with 3600x power or greater will do it.  Less for some stuff. A 10850 stock will do that so finding enough cooler to make it go isn’t a gigantic problem.  The bigger issue right now is getting ahold of a gpu that will do the job.

Yeah the gpu is the problem, the rest I can get but its the gpu......

5 minutes ago, Svenvdv said:

Yeah the gpu is the problem, the rest I can get but its the gpu......

I got no advice there.  Some people say stand outside of a microcenter and hope.  There’s always wait or pay a scalper of course.  The gpu thing is getting so bad one current suggestion is get a prebuilt even if you know how to build computers simply because the prebuilt companies have access to GPUs.