New build motherboard error 53 / possible power cable issue

redviper871

I am in the process of building a new computer and running into some issues. Really hoping someone can shed some light on what i'm missing here.

My build

ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490 (WiFi 6) LGA 1200

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 Desktop Memory

Intel - Core i9-10900K

CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360 SUB-ZERO,

I put this all together and tried to boot it up but i don't get a POST. Can't get to BIOS. The error code that i get on the Motherboard is 53. Which is incompatible memory. To best of my knowledge that above listed memory should be compatible.  The memory is RGB and it doesn't light up at all when the system is powered on. My graphics powers up and the fans run. The motherboard's RGB is powered on. 

So far i've tried removing the RAM sticks to make sure they are seated properly. 

no luck 

Tried only using 1 RAM stick. 

no luck 

Given that RGB RAM doesn't light up i'm figuring it has something to do with power not getting to it or the CPU. 

I think it has something to do with the power cables from the power supply to motherboard. I've got the standard 24 pin cable in. The 2 additionally power connections located at the top left of the motherboard caused me a lot of confusion when I was plugging everything up.  Pictured below is the 4x4 pin that I am using. When building the computer I used 2 of these cables. 1 4x4 pin cable plugged directly into the 8 pin socket and 1 4x4 split into the individual 4 pin connector into 4 pin socket.  I know the socket has squares and for lack of better word triangles in certain orders so that you can't plug these into the wrong adapters.  As you can see in the attached pictures the 8pin cable does not match the socket on the motherboard or the diagram in the manual. The squares are not in the right order. I have looked through the included modular dozens of times with no luck. Searched on line EATX12V_2 cables to see if just didn't get the right cable with no luck. 

Any wisdom you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

0?ui=2&ik=a304c7f16b&attid=0.0&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1689711258976963077&th=17730f70044cca05&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ9_IJpyY4keTkQBo_XwFYcLBKqFPK8GvJghs9tOV5nPb413zx4yXOgnO4cH6hOpQYsI8ulbrQZ732SYr49GvJGt3oqLW6bEkD0mUVY-WXrHhehKvGQY-mBMPOE&ats=2524608000000&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu

First thing I thought of looking at the specs before reading the rest of the post was “that memory is awful big and awful fast.  Bet that’s where the problem is..” well Lookie there.  I’m not sure WHAT the exact problem is but the where is pretty easy to see.  My move would be to take a single stick of garbage memory that is known good and try posting with it.  Something old and slow and used and known good just to make sure it actually does post and there isn’t another problem.  If such isn’t easily available, next best would be to pull all the memory out and put just one stick in on slot one and see if it posts.  If it DOES things get simple.  Just run memtest86 on each successive stick in turn till you find the bad one.  If there ISN’T one, which is possible, You're back to complicated.  Possible it’s some sort of motherboard software issue for example, though that’s only one possible.   If it DOESNT though it could be a bunch of stuff that could get wildly complicated.  My next move would be to see if you actually have the newest motherboard bios. On the stance that there is little reason to borrow trouble, maybe see if it’s simple first. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

First thing I thought of looking at the specs before reading the rest of the post was “that memory is awful big and awful fast.  Bet that’s where the problem is..” well Lookie there.  I’m not sure WHAT the exact problem is but the where is pretty easy to see.  My move would be to take a single stick of garbage memory that is known good and try posting with it.  Something old and slow and used and known good just to make sure it actually does post and there isn’t another problem.  If such isn’t easily available, next best would be to pull all the memory out and put just one stick in on slot one and see if it posts.  If it DOES things get simple.  Just run memtest86 on each successive stick in turn till you find the bad one.  If there ISN’T one, which is possible, You're back to complicated.  Possible it’s some sort of motherboard software issue for example, though that’s only one possible.   If it DOESNT though it could be a bunch of stuff that could get wildly complicated.  My next move would be to see if you actually have the newest motherboard bios. On the stance that there is little reason to borrow trouble, maybe see if it’s simple first. 

I don't currently have an extra junk RAM sitting around. I did try one stick of what i have with no luck. 

How do i check the bios if it won't boot to bios? 

What about the picture of the power cable? Am I using the correct cable ? 

6 minutes ago, redviper871 said:

I don't currently have an extra junk RAM sitting around. I did try one stick of what i have with no luck. 

How do i check the bios if it won't boot to bios? 

What about the picture of the power cable? Am I using the correct cable ? 

You can’t.  You’ve got to get it to boot.  The problem is there’s no way to know if it’s some weirdness revolving around you putting the most fastest memory that could possibly be put into a machine or if there’s some other issue.  My personal guess is if it IS such a weirdness the most likely culprit is an old bios that doesn’t recongnize a kind of memory that didn’t exist in the consumer space when it was written so it wasn’t accounted for.  There’s a couple ways they can do 32gb sticks.  My suspicion is of those 32gb sticks were 16s it would just work.  You’ve run into something by cranking stuff to eleven.  No telling (at least by me) what it is.  Such a problem would most likely have been fixed by now which is why my first move would be to check the bios. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Before I buy sacrificial ram what is your thoughts on my concern about the power cable? Is the cable fine ? In my original post i show a picture of the power cable and a picture of the power socket from the manual. The pins don't match. See the squares

thanks for responding 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

You can’t.  You’ve got to get it to boot.  The problem is there’s no way to know if it’s some weirdness revolving around you putting the most fastest memory that could possibly be put into a machine or if there’s some other issue.  My personal guess is if it IS such a weirdness the most likely culprit is an old bios that doesn’t recongnize a kind of memory that didn’t exist in the consumer space when it was written so it wasn’t accounted for.  There’s a couple ways they can do 32gb sticks.  My suspicion is of those 32gb sticks were 16s it would just work.  You’ve run into something by cranking stuff to eleven.  No telling (at least by me) what it is.  Such a problem would most likely have been fixed by now which is why my first move would be to check the bios. 

Before I buy sacrificial ram what is your thoughts on my concern about the power cable? Is the cable fine ? In my original post i show a picture of the power cable and a picture of the power socket from the manual. The pins don't match. See the squares

thanks for responding 

1 hour ago, redviper871 said:

thanks for responding 

The term “power cable” can get a bit vague as most cables in PCs are technically power cables and you could be referring to any of them.  As in wall to PSU power cable?  That Power cable is low probability.  They’re not complicated and pretty thick.  Hard to damage.  The only way to do a reliable test is to buy a new one.  A simple continuity test isn’t always accurate with PCs.  They tend to be touchy about power. 

As to the rest of them they generally come with the PSU and that’s a nice PSU so they’re also pretty unlikely too.  There could be some sort of third party extender or something in there which opens the possibility up I suppose. There is also I suppose the possibility of a gpu power cord or something being mod attached.  Wouldn’t hurt to try reattaching everything just on general principle.  It’s free, quick, and who knows it might help.   A cheapass stick of used ddr4 is cheaper than a new mains power cable and the other ones (excepting weirdness) are RMA.  PSU cables should ONLY be gotten from the manufacturer.  They are not standardized.  The power port is more likely to be a problem than the cord imho. 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:17 PM, Bombastinator said:

Got my junk ram stick in. Turns out I was missing a power cable to the side of the coolermaster AIO sub-zero cooler.  Good news I got it to post and loaded the operating system. 

New problem however is that I can't get AIO radiator fans to not run at 100%..... I've messed around with the BIO settings for the motherboard for the fans and the fans continue to run at 5673 RPM no matter what i change.  They won't slow down or stop. This is my first AIO so i'm treading in new water. My case(Fractal Meshify 2) also has a fan header in which i'm also new to as well. All the case fans spin normally. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.