Cpu not working even tho supported by the bios

Hey everyone! Im having trouble with my z270p prime motherboard from asus. I currently have the newest bios that should support an i5 6500. Sadly it doesnt post with that cpu installed. However it does work fine with my g4400. I completely resetted the bios by removing the battery and i've tried two different i5 6500s and an i7 6700k. None of them seemed to work. I also tried different ram sticks and configs, different psu's and different gpu's and sadly the same issue. I was hoping to flash an older version of the bios but sadly my motherboard wont let me. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? (:

I wonder if the newer bios cut support for the 6000 series chips.

I would install the 0207 bios on it and see if it posts up with the 6500. Don't forget to clear cmos after the flash and when swapping processors.

I am not sure if this is helpful, but i am running an Asus Prime Z270-P with a i7 6700 (non k).  BIOS Ver. 1205.  I would be surprised if your bios wouldn't support it (unless you are running some hacked bios)

You seem like you know your stuff... just a reminder to check the output on the igpu and discrete graphics. I am not sure what the default is when you reset. but you probably knew that.

7 hours ago, Vulture78 said:

I am not sure if this is helpful, but i am running an Asus Prime Z270-P with a i7 6700 (non k).  BIOS Ver. 1205.  I would be surprised if your bios wouldn't support it (unless you are running some hacked bios)

You seem like you know your stuff... just a reminder to check the output on the igpu and discrete graphics. I am not sure what the default is when you reset. but you probably knew that.

My motherboard is also on version 1205 but I bought 5 of these boards from a guy that was planning on mining with them so maybe he hacked the bios? Resetetting it didnt help tho. I also doubt that it is the igpu because my mouse and keyboard also dont light up. I bought my i7 6700k and the two i5 6500 from the same guy so there is a small chance that I got scammed and that they dont work but I have no way of testing that. I also bought 5 ssds from the same guy and they work fine..

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I wonder if the newer bios cut support for the 6000 series chips.

I would install the 0207 bios on it and see if it posts up with the 6500. Don't forget to clear cmos after the flash and when swapping processors.

Sadly when I try to flash an older bios with ezflash 3 I get an 'this is not a proper bios' error so I cant select it. I am certain that it is a proper bios file tho because on the same usb I was able to select the same bios that it is on right now (1205)

So do you have 5 of these that are not working or is it just the one?

Did you put the 1205 bios on there or was it him?  If he was the one that flashed it, it may not be the real 1205.

Do you have any error codes?  Is there not LEDs on the side of the motherboard that shows errors?  Strange it works with the g4400 and not the 6000 series chips.

If it's just the one motherboard not working, check the pins in the motherboard socket... Perhaps the i5/i7 are using pins that the g4400 is not.  Speaking from experience, it doesn't take much for a misaligned pin to prevent the cpu from booting.

51 minutes ago, Vulture78 said:

So do you have 5 of these that are not working or is it just the one?

Did you put the 1205 bios on there or was it him?  If he was the one that flashed it, it may not be the real 1205.

Do you have any error codes?  Is there not LEDs on the side of the motherboard that shows errors?  Strange it works with the g4400 and not the 6000 series chips.

If it's just the one motherboard not working, check the pins in the motherboard socket... Perhaps the i5/i7 are using pins that the g4400 is not.  Speaking from experience, it doesn't take much for a misaligned pin to prevent the cpu from booting.

None of them are working with the i5/7, he put the bios on there but I tried to flash a fresh downloaded 1205 bios on there but I dont have a clue if that worked. The motherboard doesnt have any debug leds sadly. Is there any way that he could have modified the motherboard bios so that it only works with the g4400?

I have no clue about mining...  I would suspect if they might of lowered the voltage to CPU to make it more efficient? the i5/i7 would draw more power.

Really strange it works with g4400 but not the i5/i7.  

Have you tried to update to a version other than 1205 and 0207? 1010 perhaps because that would be after the intel microcode update?  Have you tried to update the bios via the windows tools  (EZUpdate) and/or in the bios (EZFlash)? Perhaps if it's blocking the update in bios it would run on windows? 

Just throwing out some troubleshooting steps to help. it's beyond me at this point.

To recover the bios and install the original the asus board was sent with....

Install the motherboard disk into the dvd reader and post from it. Select bios recovery and proceed to flash. Be sure to unplug the hard drives first so they dont interfere with the boot order.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

To recover the bios and install the original the asus board was sent with....

Install the motherboard disk into the dvd reader and post from it. Select bios recovery and proceed to flash. Be sure to unplug the hard drives first so they dont interfere with the boot order.

Good luck.

He might need a Delorean in order to use a dvd reader...  

Sorry, just kidding.. I could not help myself. 😁

2 hours ago, Vulture78 said:

He might need a Delorean in order to use a dvd reader...  

Sorry, just kidding.. I could not help myself. 😁

Haha thats true, i do have a usb one somewhere but i dont have the original disc anymore 😞