Weird USB 3.0 ports behaviour

Lucrezio

Hi, recently my desktop USB 3.0 ports started behaving oddly.

The USB 3.0 WiFi adapter keeps disconnecting, the external USB 3.0 hdd is no longer recognized and I can't reach the WLAN while transfering files with a USB 3.0 stick; instead they work perfectly when they are connected to USB 2.0 ports, or to another PC.

At first I thought that the mainboard, a Gigabyte B450M S2H, was faulty so I took a MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX.

However this didn't solve the problems, because if I connect those devices to the CPU o chipset fed USB 3.0 port they show the same problems.

But if I connect them to the PCI-Ex1 USB 3.0 card or to the onboard ASMedia USB 3.1 controller they work flawlessly.

I tried to reinstall Windows 10 but without any result.

Could it be a faulty PSU the source of these problems? It's an 8 years old XFX Pro Core 550W. According to the sensors the voltages are correct.

These are the system specs:

AMD Ryzen 1200

Gigabyte B450M S2H (previously) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max both with the latest bios

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4

Zotac GeForce GTX760

PSU XFX Pro Core 550W

OS Windows 10 x64

Its more than likely you have the power settings set to turn off the usb controller to save power. I'm not sure where the setting is in windows 10 but basically you can set the controller to turn off devices to save power despite it not being a laptop. it's a weird setting.

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

Its more than likely you have the power settings set to turn off the usb controller to save power. I'm not sure where the setting is in windows 10 but basically you can set the controller to turn off devices to save power despite it not being a laptop. it's a weird setting.

I don't think it's related to power saving settings, the external HDD is not even recognized so there isn't time for the power saving features to kick in.

1 minute ago, Lucrezio said:

I don't think it's related to power saving settings, the external HDD is not even recognized so there isn't time for the power saving features to kick in.

well then the problem will either be a software error or a setting , as changing the entire board eliminated possible hardware issues. try a fresh windows install and see if it fixes it.